“A London hotel never to stay in”

Bloomsbury Palace Hotel
Ranked #348 of 558 London B&B and Inns
Dungarvan, Ireland
“A London hotel never to stay in”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

My experience of this hotel can only be described as traumatic and hugely upsetting. Having booked a room since March 12th, I arrived at 10pm to the hotel on May 1st to discover that the hotel had no record of my booking despite showing the receptionist my original booking email and the arrival reminder email I had received from them on 28th April. The receptionist then tried to convince me my emails were not even from them! He was extremely rude and unhelpful claiming I was keeping him from his work and it was my fault, not the hotels and I was not his problem. He refused to contact the hotel Manager for me. At 11.15 pm I had to find my own alternative accommodation and pay for a taxi there. As a female travelling alone in a strange city, the way I was treated was disgraceful.
The fact that the receptionist was quite happy to turn me out on the street at 11.15pm at night onto the street is incomprehensible. I have tried to make contact with the hotel but they are continuing to ignore me. I only wish I had looked at Trip Advisor before I booked it when I see all the other bad experiences people have had here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Poshhippychick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I often need an inexpensive hotel in Central London for one night between business meetings, and have had disappointing experiences. I tried the Bloomsbury Palace with scepticism but was rewarded with joy.

Highlights were (1) really welcoming reception staff, (2) a tiny but beautifully appointed and comfortable room, (3) personal service for delicious breakfast (accommodating my vegetarian needs). Plus convenient location.

Happy to recommend, and I hope to stay again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CawfeeBean
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The hotel was in a great location not far from Kings Cross Station. The room was small but well equipt and very clean.The breakfast included was freshly prepared and good quality. Overall good vale for the price in London. We picked this hotel as it was near to Gt Ormond Street.

Room Tip: Back of hotel quieter and away from kitchen
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Deborah G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

When booked the hotel at the end of December booked because of the price and did not read any reviews. When my partner did I was convinced that I had booked hotel from hell with all the negative comment. How wrong the reviews were. Clean, tidy, staff very polite and welcoming. Was on the 3rd floor (no lift) which we were offered a lower floor but we were only staying for one night. Really good nights sleep. Breakfast was ample for £75 per room per night very cheap for London and only around the corner from the West End

Room Tip: if staying for more that a night need to be on ground or 1st Floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mchengland70
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here for a night in March. The room was lovely. It had everything you'd expect from a very nice ensuite to tea and coffee. It even had biscuits.! The breakfast was very nice and everything looked clean. All the staff were friendly and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Main road noisy so try for a room at the back.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Vienna
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Well-located Hotel, 10 mins by feet to Oxford Street, 3 mins to tube stations Euston Square and Googe Street, 5 mins to tube station Warrent Street - easy going everywhere! Booked a small single room which was really very small but nevertheless ok as I was just sleeping there. The room included shower and toilet, a big flatscreen, free WiFi, tea/coffee and cookies on the bedside table and a quite good English breakfast. It was nice furbished, 3 cushions, bed was quite wide and good, no cupboard.
The staff was nice and helpful, storing the suitcase though checked-out was no problem.
Unfortunately it was very very cold in the room though the heater was running all the time and the window seemed to be fine, I had to ask for additional blankets. And it could have been more clean, there was dust and dirt under the bed and also behind the bedside table. This is why only 3 stars finally.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sabine J
Gibraltar
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in LG4...basement room next to the breakfast room. Nice size, very clean, great tv, comfy bed. No complaints there BUT, either take earplugs, an overdose of Nytol or a couple of bottles of wine before beddybyes!! If not you will be woken before 7am to the joyous sound of chipping mushrooms, loud breakfast radio and the constant clatter of crockery and nattering in a foreign tongue by the breakfast staff! I did tell them off one morning and they turned the radio down briefly. Now, that considered, I find most of these reviews a little exaggerated and overall the hotel delivered what any visitor in London wants ie LOCATION! You are afterall out ALL day so lets not be too harsh!

• Stayed February 2014