“I expected more, but it's another average hotel”

Bloomsbury Palace Hotel
Ranked #350 of 557 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“I expected more, but it's another average hotel”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked this hotel for my mum, coming to visit me with a couple of friends. I choose it because I was looking for a nice place, easy to find and going around, so they could be slightly independent, with a decent size of rooms and a nice service.
This was one of the cheapest, even if rather expensive, roughly around £55 each in a triple room, but I thought that it would be suitable for their needs.

The room was nice, but nothing really amazing, standard double bedroom size, with an awful armchair bed instead of a proper bed fitted as the 3rd bed, looking awful and small. And the room was definitely small for three people.
The bathroom was ok, again, nothing really exciting for the price (more than £150 per night).
They didn't change the towels and tidy up the room, the carpet in the toilet stays there for all the 3 nights.

The reception didn't help much, they were not the kind of service you're expecting. Not even saying 'Hi' or 'Bye' when you were coming/leaving. It sounded to me like "Please, don't disturb". We had to wait 10 minutes once for a person to arrive at the reception desk. We asked a map in two different times: the first time we got it, the second one we didn't. How is it possible? They said the maps were out of stock. Are you joking?

Breakfast was average, jam and bread or English breakfast, not even possible to mix or having the sweet and sour as the continental breakfasts are in proper hotels.

I wouldn't recommend to anyone. In other areas of the city, you have a better service for the half of the price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Firstly I would agree with other reviewers that the single rooms are small. I would direct them to the price of other hotels in the area and tell them to get a reality check here. I don't know what they expect to pay in London but this was not a bad deal.

The room was small but perfectly clean and more than adequate. I have stayed in rooms equally small in Paris and Amsterdam and got a lot less for my money. The small bathroom was very well appointed but not suitable if you are overweight. I was on the front so even with secondary glazing it was a tad noisy. I think it would be hot in high summer with little ventilation. It was on the warm side in May.

Staff were polite and very helpful. Breakfast was excellent, no messing here, truly excellent.

The hotel is handy for Goodge Street tube, just round the corner from the British Museum and handy for Kings Cross, St Pancras and Euston Mainline stations. London is not cheap people but you are not robbed here.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room and see if you can get a quieter/better ventilated one in the summer
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AlanBest
Vienna
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I feel somewhat tricked staying at this hotel. Just shows you that you need to really check things out well. Booking.com shows it at 4 star hotel, which is completely misleading and in accurate. The hotel is for sure at the one start level.
My room was under 2 meters wide, tiny and nothing like described. In the 20 years visiting London I have never seen such a small room, nor such minimal service for such a high price. For example, no room existed for my average size suitcase as it would prevent exiting the room.
If you must stay here, the price level should be approx 50 sterling max, sub 100 dollars. Rooms are for ONE person max.
ALSO, do not pay until you check the room! Check around

Room Tip: Check room before payment!!
1 Thank finnsdo

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Booked into this 'hotel' as it was relatively close to venue holding conference that I was attending! Our room was located in the basement! What a small dingy room! Bathroom was tiny!!! Air con wasn't working! Asked them to take a look as it was sweltering hot! Was told that there was no problem with their air con! I think that the fact that they had a freestanding fan in the room 'might just' indicate that there was in fact a big problem with the aircon!!! We hardly slept a wink! We were kept awake by both the heat and constant road noise! As it is close to the hospital sirens were constantly heard! Breakfast was fine but you might have to wait for table as insufficient for amount of guests! Table staff so unfriendly- doesn't take a lot to be polite! Attitude of 'don't want to be here'! Asked another member of staff to try to sort air con but dismissed- hardly took his eyes off computer ad he was busy googling!!!! On checking out not been asked if we enjoyed our stay- I wonder why??? Please take a look at most recent reviews- probably the worst place we have stayed in! Never again!

Room Tip: Nothing good about this place! Avoid!!!
1 Thank shaz01131
Linz, Austria
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I went to London for a business trip and booked a couple of days at the Bloomsbury Palace Hotel. I don't know how they do it, but at booking.com they had a good rating when i booked a couple of months ago. However the single rooms are very, very small. Actually they are too small. I payed up front and that's the only reason why I stayed at the Hotel. Ok the WIFI is there and the location is good, but there a hundreds of similar Hotels around. London is just an expensive city and if you want to have the same standard than in other good Hotels, you'll have to pay the price.

Room Tip: Don't. Choose another Hotel.
2 Thank Ferdinand B
Waterford Ireland
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed for two nights in this town house it was awful would not recommend on the very busy noise room with cars and emergency services going up the road all night, rooms tried and grubby paid
£260 for a double as the single room was so small and had no wardrobe, it need to be gutted and need loads of work to make it presentable for guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank BerWaterfordIreland
Dungarvan, Ireland
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

My experience of this hotel can only be described as traumatic and hugely upsetting. Having booked a room since March 12th, I arrived at 10pm to the hotel on May 1st to discover that the hotel had no record of my booking despite showing the receptionist my original booking email and the arrival reminder email I had received from them on 28th April. The receptionist then tried to convince me my emails were not even from them! He was extremely rude and unhelpful claiming I was keeping him from his work and it was my fault, not the hotels and I was not his problem. He refused to contact the hotel Manager for me. At 11.15 pm I had to find my own alternative accommodation and pay for a taxi there. As a female travelling alone in a strange city, the way I was treated was disgraceful.
The fact that the receptionist was quite happy to turn me out on the street at 11.15pm at night onto the street is incomprehensible. I have tried to make contact with the hotel but they are continuing to ignore me. I only wish I had looked at Trip Advisor before I booked it when I see all the other bad experiences people have had here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo