“Brilliant addition to the new wave of American restaurants”
Review of Dach & Sons - CLOSED

Dach & Sons
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I went there in the first two weeks it opened and went back fro my 5th visit last week.

I cannot recognise the place that some of the reviewers here are mentioning- every time I've gone I've had friendly and knowledgeable staff talk me through the menu (which has been tweaked slightly over time... and improved in my opinion) and reel off an impressive knowledge of the brilliant drink selection. have a look at the whisky and bourbon rack behind the till- it's incredible.

Anyway onto the food- the chicken wings are a revelation - a great addition to the menu....salty and spicy with a deliciously slurpy blue cheese dip. I've tried most of the main course and keep coming back to the chilli dog which despite what another reviewer said here isn't the sort of thing you get from a butcher. It's moist with a really deep chilli oil kick. I'd have two if could fit them in. And the sides....they are the fun part! Maple sweet potato wedges got fought over- not for the first time- the salt beef chilli is so homely and good and cries to added to your hot dog bun. And there is my personal favourite- the frickles...deep fried pickles that sound like a Mary Shelly-esque creation but are lovely and light and still fragrant.

To drink we all had a rack of 3 small beers- a great way to tase your way round the range. All ends up it was about £23 each for wings, main and a side. You can't get 3 courses in a pub for that much.

Let's not forget- this place is FUN and DELICIOUS- you can take or leave the decor (I like it), the no reservations policy (shame but happening more and more in London)- but you can't deny that this is tasty, inventive food that puts a smile on peoples faces. Take a friend. And then smile when they take a friend. It's one of those place.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

For £9.95 per kilo, you can buy the same high-quality mince they use in the burgers from the Hampstead butcher on Rosslyn Hill. Because the meat in the burgers is the only good thing about this place. There is nothing for non-meat eaters apart from macaroni cheese for £9 as even the chips are cooked in beef fat. The sides are £3-4 and the burgers (I reiterate nice meat, shame about the other components which were pretty average) around the £10 mark. The selection of beers is over-priced and the welcome is chilly. Didn't try the hot-dogs, but they too are available from the local butcher. If you go to the Hampstead butcher and buy a few things to stick on the grill back home, pop down to your local Oxfam for a few distressed enamel plates, strip out your light fittings to leave the bare bulbs, plonk a kitchen roll on the table, buy some economy macaroni for the vegetarian and switch the lights low, you too could have the full Dachs and son experience without feeling that you've been totally ripped off (which you will be if you go here).

1  Thank arletty75
Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

£8 just for the dog and you get kitchen roll instead of serviettes. Rubbish home made ketchup. What's wrong with Heinz?

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Context: I live in Hamsptead and decided to try this place last Friday night.

Overall experience was disappointing for me.

Best of experience: high-quality beef burgers. Recommend for sure.
Aspects of the experience I did not enjoy:
-Chicken sliders ok flavor but in my experience with chicken main meals, too small of a portion for a main meal (it was ok for a starter) and less value for money than the beef sliders. The beef sliders not only tasted much better but are also priced at £9
-I think most chairs in the place are very uncomfortable, made of wood, no cushion, odd design
-No plain chicken breast dishes on the menu. Either you have the minced chicken on the sliders or a chicken sausage
-Fries were completely average, not gold enough
-Place is trendy but not cosy

I prefer Hache in Camden Town.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

I should have taken notice of the terrible online reviews and warnings about the service here but thought I'd give the benefit of the doubt. This was a mistake. I should have also taken a clue from being told hostily there were absolutely no reservations. I would recommend you dont visit this place. The attitude of the staff is terrible, they speak down to you and compared themselves to Soho House on more than one occasion. They eventually let my party into the bar but would not do our table service until 'we were all sat down in a controlled manner' so as 'not to disturb the ambience'. When we were sat down, we were given a talking to of how to behave (this was to a mature group of people wanting a pleasant night away from work/kids). It was ludicrous when one of my friends was latched on for daring to stand up in the bar area (to go to the toilet). If you want to be spoken to rudely and treated like a child by people younger than you, go here. If you want a pleasant fun night out in Hampstead with good staff, go to one of the many gastropubs such as The Horseshoe.