“Small but clean rooms, good for Kings Cross”

Point A Hotel, London Kings Cross St Pancras
Ranked #340 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Chicago
“Small but clean rooms, good for Kings Cross”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to a number of decent bus stops that lead into the city, and a short walk from a main underground hub. That makes its location in sketchy Kings Cross bearable. It is also next to a supermarket of sorts, and a decent looking restaurant/pub that has music. Although we didn't go in there.

The goods. It was our honeymoon, and when going in our room they had flowers, chocolates, and rose petals on the bed. This was really nice. However, I'm surprised they didn't charge us for it. The AC worked well. Bed was comfortable. No free breakfast but a carton of porridge was a pound and really tasty. Coffee was cheap too.

The bads. Everything is an add on. Get the package if you are booking. Otherwise, you have to pay for your towel, tv, wifi. They do not clean your room or towels daily. That's extra. Checking your bags in early is extra. We got there early, and had four bags. They wanted 2.50 pounds per bag! We condensed what we could into two. For Americans, that still runs about $10!! No safe nor fridge in the room.

The rooms are very small. If you have two pieces of luggage and want to use them both you are going to be using the bed. Blinds were not black out. Very small elevator.

1 Thank ccoltmanm
Victor V, General Manager at Point A Hotel, London Kings Cross St Pancras, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to know that despite our limited service concept we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible and congratulations once again on your wedding anniversary.

Due to the no-frills concept employed which is the basis for our existence, we charge for all extras and there is nothing hidden about how we operate as all information concerning this procedure is written on our website and explained to guests while at front desk.

I look forward to receiving you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a perfect stay here!

From the minute I got there the staff were so friendly and helpful! I was there at 1pm so was offered to pay and check in early or pay a small fee to leave my bags. When I did get into my room I was a little concerned about noise as we were on the ground floor but we heard no noise during our stay from outside or any guests.

The room was small but very clean and perfect for our short two night stay. Only two things to be mindful of is firstly the bathroom leave nothing to the imagination, you can hear all so if you are a new couple or shy around bathroom protocol it may not be for you. The other small thing is that there is no full length mirror.

I've called this the Ryanair hotel as we were okay but depending on how you book you have to pay extra for towels, having your room cleaned, hair dryer, etc. so check your booking!

Great stay, lovely staff especially the friendly guy on reception, very happy and smiley - perfect way to be greeted! And the location, 3 minute walk to kings cross! Wow!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Irishlauren
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to write us a review.

I am pleased to know you had a comfortable and happy stay with us and regardless of our concept staff were able to make your stay more pleasant.

I will look forward to having you with us again.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Very good value for money. Rooms are small but very clean, friendly staff and close to the tube. I booked via Hotels Tonight which meant that I got all "added extras" (to, WiFi, towels etc) included. You should be aware that if you book direct or via any other website you may not get these included which would not make your stay as good value.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mathew C
Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time you have taken out to write us a review.

I am glad your stay with us was pleasant. I note your understanding of our limited service concept as I see it has worked for you.

I will be delighted to have you with us again.
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

£82 including all the extras is a pretty good deal in this part of town. This chain are competing with the likes of travelodge and doing a better job of it. 5 min walk from Kings Cross station and on a main bus route down to the thames. Staff courteous and room clean. Only nag was there was no shaver point this time and I am fairly sure there was in the last room I stayed at here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank plaistowboy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving us a review.

I am delighted to know that your time with us did not fall short of expectation. It is also good to hear we were able to cater to your comfort and that our concept indeed worked for you.

I look forward to receiving you in the near future.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Expensive for what you get. Trying to make you pay for eveything. Very bad setting for the room.
The only positive point is the friendly staff, otherwise forget about this hotel. The general policy in that hotel is no flexibility

Room Tip: You can find better deals in London
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Frederic C
Victor V, General Manager at Point A Hotel, London Kings Cross St Pancras, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback on your stay.

I am very disappointed to read your comments since we advertise our service concept and list of chargeable extras very well both on our website and throughout the booking process.

We have made everything available for your perusal on-line and have never hidden any of our charges from our guests. These chargeable extras are the world-wide Tune policy and it is what we base our business on. This enables us to offer rates that are cheaper than the area's average, whilst providing good value for money.

On the positive side, we appreciate your kind words towards our staff and we do hope that your last visit has not deterred you from returning in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked this hotel thru hotel.com, as this was highly recommended, based on the reviews in Trip Advisor.
Shortly after the booking was confirmed (say, less than half an hour?), I realized I had made the reservation for the wrong check-in date!
And, my nightmare begins!
Contacted hotels.com & was advised they will amend the dates on my behalf, only if the hotel allows the amendment.
However, I was informed the hotel does not allow any amendment nor refund due to the clause “non-refundable”.
Was requested by hotels.com to contact the hotel directly.

Contacted the front-desk and also spoken to the manager of Tune hotel, but still, “no” was the reply I got.

I was surprised I wasn’t allowed any amendment when the clause stated “non-refundable”.
I was neither asking for a refund nor a cancellation. I was merely asking for a change of dates (2 days later from my reservation)!
My requested dates were of a lower rate, and I was willing to forgo the price difference & even offered to pay a penalty since it was a mistake of mine.
But no, there was absolutely NO ROOM for negotiation, NOTHING can be done for me!

My husband & I had been looking forward to our stay in Tune hotel, after reading all the good reviews on them, but sad to say, we had to forgo this opportunity due to the rigid restrictions.
This is our first (and our last) reservation with Tune. I guess I have to make-do with other hotels, and I doubt I will consider Tune anymore.
This has certainly dampen my spirits.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank assilemnat
Victor V, General Manager at Point A Hotel, London Kings Cross St Pancras, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very disappointed to read this review given the fact that you have not even used our services as you booked through a travel agent which is fine as we have them in place for bookers to use as an alternative booking channel with their own policies which is not controlled by us.

I would have appreciate you directed your review to the Travel agent used and not to the hotel as we did not have any direct involvement with you through the booking process, until you had a problem with your bookings.

I am sure you are aware bookings can be done through our own booking site but still decided to use a travel agent as mentioned is absolutely right. I believed you also agreed to their terms and conditions before completing your bookings.

Below is the Tune Hotel changes and cancellation policy if booking are made on our website which would have applied if you were to book on our site.

Payments made for bookings (including Add-Ons) are non-refundable.
Changes
Change of Guest name on your booking is allowed if made three (3) full days or more before check-in date subject to a Name Change Fee. (Please refer to the Fee Schedule)
No changes to stay dates, room category or duration of stay may be made but you are entitled to cancel the booking and make a new booking with the Hotel, subject to availability and to the terms of cancellation below.
Cancellations
Booking cancellations MUST be made at least three (3) full days before the scheduled check-in date.
A cancellation fee equal to the value of the booking applies for each Booking Confirmation cancelled at least three (3) days before the scheduled check in date, which comprises:
• (a) £10.00 payable immediately on that cancellation; and
• (b) the balance of that cancellation fee will be credited into your Tune Hotels’ registered account and held in a credit shell ("Credit Shell") for future bookings.
The amount of that Credit Shell is valid for 182 days from the cancellation date and will be applied either:
• in payment of the balance of the cancellation fee 183 days after that original room booking cancellation; or
• in part payment of the total cancellation fee payable if another room booking is made within 182 days of that cancellation.
Use of Credit Shell
Your Credit Shell amount:
• will be created in the currency which your booking transaction was made and must be used in that same currency for payment of future bookings with Tune Hotels
• is currency specific and is not valid for bookings for Hotels priced or charged in other currencies
• must be used within 182 days from the date of cancellation, or the whole credit shell amount will be forfeited without further notification 183 days after that original booking cancellation.
• is not transferable to other persons or accounts
• is not exchangeable for cash
• cannot be used for payment of non-room related transactions
Any cancellation made less than three (3) full days from the scheduled check-in date (irrespective of the number of stay dates booked) or any no-show in respect of a booking will result in the total payment under that Booking Confirmation being forfeited irrespective of the number of stay dates remaining.
Change of Guest name and cancellation of booking can only be made online at https://bookings.tunehotels.com/AccClient/MyInformation.asp

I hope the above has made things clearer to you and other readers.
Forres, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here for two different nights in different rooms. One night a double which was perfect and clean with extras which are well worth getting (especially the wifi which is great)
On my way back I was in a twin and it was very good , nice and spacious....also the fan in the room was fantastic as it was very hot in London so big thumbs up to Tunes!!!!!

Room Tip: Book early that may help
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank scrumpman B
Victor V, General Manager at Point A Hotel, London Kings Cross St Pancras, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

It is great to know your stay was satisfactory with our rooms being clean and perfect to your standard.

Thank you for sharing your compliment regarding our staff being friendly to you.

We look forward to seeing you in the future.