Premier Inn London Southwark (Tate Modern) Hotel
Ranked #165 of 1,068 Hotels in London
kingston
“Short Break”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Convenient for all the very best tourist attractions. If you enjoy walking most of the sights are accessible on foot otherwise public transport is within easy reach.
Quiet clean with friendly, helpful staff. Everything in the room worked with ease.
I had a view of "half" the London Eye from my window.
Only one criticism . Why only 30minutes free Wi-Fi

Room Tip: Perhaps one should ask for a room with the best view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kirkwall1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Because of the pre-Christmas storm I was unable to get home from my work in London. I would not normally choose to stay at a premier inn, but this was the closest hotel to my work so I thought I would give it a try for one night. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised.
I arrived to be greeted by a very friendly and helpful member of staff who took me through the automated check in procedure. My room was a decent size with a nice big bed and basic furniture. The bathroom was nice even though there was not much of a view from the room. But I needed a place to stay that night and for £86, I thought it great value.
I decided to eat at the hotel. I was again greeted by Nicole (who was my helpful check in lady) who was now doubling up as waitress/bar steward.
The meal was great and the thyme restaurant has a fair selection of wines and beers. Whilst I was eating I observed how hard the staff work and are obviously well trained and a credit to the premier inn brand.
A good nights sleep was only interrupted by the howling wind outside. I had the buffet breakfast in the morning which was very nice and again great value.
I booked this hotel with some doubts in my mind, but in left very happy with my stay. I would definitely use this hotel again should the need arise.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank daveinkent44
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We chose this hotel as we wanted to visit the nearby attractions (including the London Eye). In our experience, Premier Inn staff are friendly and polite - and these were no exception - very well trained. The room was clean and big enough, with a view of the Shard from a side window. Mattresses are a little firm for my taste, but not too bad. Breakfast is reasonably priced, and you can eat as much as you like. The coffee machine was a bit slow, so could lead to (short) queues at times. We could leave our cases in the hotel after checking out, which allowed us the time to visit the Globe theatre (we mainly went to vist the Tate).

Premier Inns are a consistently well managed budget chain, and we use them when no independent hotels fit the bill.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the Shard, if that interests you.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This was a very pleasent hotel in a great location. Very modern and clean building, and only 5 minutes walk from nearest tube station (Southwark) which is on the Jubilee Line, so convienient for connecting with all major stops and attractions, including Waterloo Train station 1 stop away.
Very helpfull staff, and the all you can eat buffet breakfast was excellant and kept topped up and fresh. I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed here for four nights for our anniversary. The room was spotless, staff were very friendly and the vegetarian sausages were cooked to perfection. Our room was great with a view of the shard. We were looking forward to a lie in as we have four boys at home but banging from a building site over the road started quite early. Also there was a loud horn like noise at random times during the day and night which seemed to be something to do with the water pipes. I woke up a 2am in a panic thinking the fire alarm was going off. Apart from that everything was great, we will have to wait until next year to get a lie in.

Room Tip: Room 801 was big with a good view but had water pipe and building site noise.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed here overnight at the same time last year and returned because the hotel offered exactly what we needed:
- proximity to the Christmas party venue
- proximity to mainline London railway stations
- comfortable bed
- decent shower
- clean
- friendly service
- good price (£70 per night, no breakfast, paid in advance).

We didn't have breakfast or dinner, or require anything special, just a place to sleep after the Christmas party at the OXO Tower. We slept very well; there was no noise on the 8th floor. I did remember to hang out the "do not disturb" sign and nobody disturbed us. You do get half an hour free wifi but I didn't bother to use it. We were able to leave our bags after check out whilst we went Christmas shopping.

All in all, great value and smiling staff. I would book again for next year.

Boston, Massachusetts, Usa
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The hotel is clean and very comfortable and the Staff is knowledgable and very helpful and friendly. The beds are extremely comfortable and the pillows feel like your own. Great location and would love to go back and stay again

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family