“WATER WATER EVERYWHERE - BUT NO GLASS !”
Review of Baytree Hotel

Baytree Hotel
Ranked #1,005 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“WATER WATER EVERYWHERE - BUT NO GLASS !”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This is a hotel above a pub but it is surprisingly quiet.(the pub and the hotel are totally separate)
Good quality room, comfortable bed and a fan which is useful as the room (105) is very public so didn't have the window open. Bathroom / shower small but did the job. No tea making facilities in the room which is not a big issue as hotel room tea is not that great but there was not even a glass to use for a drink of water. I queried this and was told I need to go to the pub and ask for a glass. Didn’t bother and bought my own glass instead. That’s about the only thing to complain about. I have booked again and will bring my own glass.

The area is not great but Newham is one of the poorer London Boroughs and Olympic fever never reached this part of Stratford. The pub is a local’s local but the people are friendly and it does a decent pint of Guinness.

Never had breakfast as I’ve got into a routine of leaving early and eating near to work (Andrews Café – Theobald’s Rd end of Grays Inn Road – worth a visit) but the kitchen area where you eat is tiny and previous reviews didn't sell it to me.When I checked in, breakfast was not mentioned anyway!

10-15 minute walk to Stratford tube station and the town centre and on a Friday I can get the 25 Bus direct to work instead of humping a bag on the crowded tube.

Room Tip: The outside rooms are in public view so avoid these if you want some privacy.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The hotel is located 10-15 minutes away from Stratford Station, in not a very friendly neightbourhoood (full of imig). The rooms are small, bathrooms incredibly small, breakfast is poor as well (no bacon, mushrooms and tomate for a British breakfast ???). The service is awful, just one persons serving and cocking.....come on !! There might be people on a rush. I would recommend the hotel a self serving breakfast. If you still decide to stay at the hotel, beware of rooms nr 1S, 2S, 3S which are in a secondaryblock. We stayed in 2S, a tiny room with a awful view facing....a roof !! Never going to stay there again...and won’t recommend.

Room Tip: don't take 2S, extremely small and your window view is .....a roof ............
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed here for one night, there was 3 of us sharing a triple room,which was good for what we wanted. The room was very clean. It would be better to have tea/coffee facilities in the room especially when you have been travelling, however we did get a cup of tea after we had asked but had to carry these upstairs.Felt the staff could have been a little more informative to tell you when breakfast etc was being served. The breakfast is very basic but fills the gap. The only worry we had is when we first got there the fire door was blocked with bags but this did get moved later on, there are bars on your window so the only access route is through the door.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Booked hotel for just the one night when we arrived looked a bit tatty outside but nice decor inside even though their was a leak in reception! The member of staff on reception wasn't very chatty and didn't mention anything about breakfast but just gave us our room key. Next to our room was the fire exit which was blocked by bags and boxes and the fire route outside was also blocked by old mattresses (this was my view out the window) There was 3 of us sharing a room and it was quite small but the beds were clean even though down the sides weren't! Beds were comfy and the bathroom clean nice and quiet considering above a pub! Breakfast was a bit of a shambles as we did not get what we ordered so I didn't really see the point of having a menu and instead of sausages we got fried hot dogs which were awful. Overall the rooms were clean and it only cost us £99 for 3 of us but I would not stay here again and would rather pay a bit more for a hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Cluj-Napoca, Cluj, Romania
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We crashed here for two nights while attending an event at the O2. The hotel is clean and gives a good value for the money after UK standards (too bad everything is so damn expensive in London!). The rooms are very small, but the bathroom is even smaller; also the tiny plasma TV matched the minimalist feel. The staff is very nice, but excruciating slow when it comes to serving breakfast (it will take 30 min to get it over with although there is no much food on the plate, so take that into account when you plan your day). You need to borough the hair dryer from the Reception and I suspect you'll have a hard time sleeping after 7.30, as the traffic gets intense (although the area is rather remote from the center and the central attractions). Bottom line, it's a place to crush for a night or two, if your main destination is East London. On a scale of 1 to 10, I may just give it a 7 if I am in a good mood. But don't go there in your honey moon and anyway, be prepared to pay as you arrive, even before seeing the room!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lavinia F
Malta
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Here is my review for this property:

Photos shown give the impression that the lobby and rooms are much larger than they are.
After having to carry my luggage up a steep flight of stairs I was shown a small room where a bed was shoved against a wall leaving a small passage on one side to pass to the bathroom. I could literally touch both walls when I opened my arms. The toilet was placed between the shower cubicle and a wall and one could barely fit into this space. I was travelling on business with a colleague of mine and he was given the same size room. We immediately went to the reception and complained about the rooms and where advised that we had booked single rooms and this is why the rooms were small.

Tea and coffee making facilities as advertised on the hotel website are not available in the rooms.

There is no wardrobe nor drawers to put any of your clothing in. The rooms are simply too small!

Since we were staying for tree nights we decided that we could not stay in such a tiny place for this duration of time.

In order to look for a new hotel we tried to use the wifi however neither of our two laptops or ipad could connect. We then ended up using the computer in the hotel lobby to book another hotel shortly after arriving.

On departure we had to pay one night for each room although we had not stayed more than 5 minutes in either of the rooms.

How this hotel was given three stars is beyond me!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MaltaMichael

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed here for just the one night. the bed, towels and room were spotless but one gets the impression six months down the line from the olympics it wont be !
lots of stairs and no lift. no complimentary tea tray in room (needed after traveling all day)
Breakfast was appalling i asked for fried egg and beans on toast and got beans only, I sent it back and got scrambled egg at this point i decided to eat it and move on, My partner asked for sausage and got hotdog sausage there was no bacon on the menu which led me to assume it was a halal breakfast even though this was not advertised. In the bar we were asked if we required an ashtray!! other than that the staff were friendly but the hotel is definateley budget. I wouldn't return or recommend it.

Room Tip: dont forget your hairdryer ladies!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple