“Whats all the fuss about......”

and 1 more site!
Travelodge London Balham
Ranked #367 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed on a Wednesday night September. I often come to London on business and I normally stay in the centre but there must have been a special event on as prices were ludicrous so looked further out and found this little gem. It was just 10 min door to door journey from Victoria train station!

Was a little bit apprehensive about previous reviews but having stayed in many Travelodge's I know people are a little extreme in the criticism of the company.....PEOPLE REMEMBER THIS IS A BUDGET HOTEL!

Quite new hotel, wonderful location next to the station and many other restaurants and supermarkets. Quick service the room was basic but was perfectly fine for my needs, TV, Bed shower. It was quite a muggy night outside but did have any issues about the heat or noise from the nearby station.

One final note, I work in the building industry and many people have commented about the windows not opening fully.......It not Travelodge's decision it is health & safety striking again, mad I know but this is the consequence of a few idiots and our increasingly litigious society!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nelly428

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Booked Balham months ago for 2 nights to go to family wedding in Brixton/Herne Hill. Price low. Location good next to station/underground and plenty of nearby eating. Staff very polite and helpful. Very clean and beds comfortable so would have given a top value for money rating BUT room was so hot and airless we had difficulty sleeping (or even sitting around wearing clothes!). A fan was provided by reception when we asked but despite running it all night made little impact. The outside temperature was pleasant and around 21C so why the fierce heat indoors? Unable to open windows and no aircon. This building is only around a year old so WHY?????? I would now be wary about booking a Travelodge based on this visit. The staff were apologetic but there was nothing they could do (apart from the fan) and the management were well aware of the issue. It seems to us that there was a fundamental problem in the design of the building so someone must be responsible and held to account. I would now be wary about booking a new Travelodge based on this visit in case it has been designed by the same person.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Judy L
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge London Balham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

We are really sorry to learn of your disappointment with the temperatures in your room Judy L, unfortunately we do not provide air conditioning in this particular hotel however in an attempt to make our customer’s stay more comfortable we do offer fans. These are available from reception on first come first serve basis. Our staff will also keep curtains closed and ensure lights are off before your arrival in an attempt to keep temperatures down during the warm summer months.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

so warm and you cant open windows. i think i wrote a review on this before and its deleted! it was so bland and there was no hairdryer or towels. dont stay here! its near a railway too if you want woken up early!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sasa51188
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge London Balham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear sasa51188, we are sorry to learn to learn your room was too warm. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in all of our hotels; however we do have a number of fans available from reception. These are available on a first come first serve basis. We provide one large and one small towel for every guest and whilst we do not provide hair dryers in the rooms, they can be borrowed from reception, available on a first come first serve basis.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed at the Balham Travelodge for the bank holiday weekend as we were going to South West Four festival. The room was impossibly hot and stuffy, with literally no air. I have asthma and found it really hard to breathe; my partner had sweat pouring off him, it was just so stuffy. The ventilation system didn't work and the windows didn't open, and with no air con I had to keep going out into the corridor and wafting the door open just to get some air into the room. I just couldn't sleep so midway through the night went to speak to reception to see if there was anything they could do, and was told there was absolutely nothing they could do to help us. We would have to put up with it or leave and could speak to the manager at 8am. I asked if there were any other rooms that we could be transferred into, or if there were any rooms at any other Travelodge hotels, but as it was bank holiday apparently everything was booked even though when we looked on the website there were still rooms available. So our only option was to leave at 2.30am in the morning, in the pouring rain and take a taxi costing me £42 to go home. An absolutely exhausting experience. I understand that Travelodge is a budget hotel brand but you stay in a hotel with the intention of sleeping, and for us it was impossible. The receptionist had taken my contact details and had said the manager would call me in the morning but the manager didn't call so when it got to the afternoon I called in and was offered a voucher for a night's stay, even though we had booked to stay for 2 nights, and we didn't want to stay anymore as it had been so unpleasant! I just don't think the staff were very helpful, they could've even offered us a bottle of water or something, but there was just no offering of assistance considering we were clearly having a bad time. It's such a shame as it would have been great value and the location was great, but not being able to sleep defeats the object of booking it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank preciouspixies
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge London Balham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Preciouspixies, we are really sorry to learn that you were unable to get a good night sleep due to the temperature in your room. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in all of our hotels; however we do offer fans which are available from our reception on a first come first served basis, in an attempt to make our customer’s stay more comfortable. We understand our Customer Care team have since been in contact with you and have resolved your concerns to your satisfaction. All customer feedback is invaluable to us and we will ensure that the hotel is made aware of the comments that you have made.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

They did a mess with our rooms. The result is that we paid for a twin room with 2 beds and they gave us a room with 1 bed. My grandmother in law is disabled and we reserved the disabled bedroom, but they gave it to someone else, so she couldn't use the shower alone. In reception they don't solve your issues, they refer you to their website, and if you are travelling abroad, you don't have Internet! Once I had Internet, the only solution they provided was to pay for a 2nd room (they told me I had to pay for 2 rooms!! the incorrect one that they had, and a new one!!!)
The result was that my mother in law had to sleep 2 nights on the floor and my grandmother in law couldn't use the bathroom alone. On Monday we could speak with the Spanish representative of travelodge, who called the english offices and they called to the Balham travelodge, and they finally changed the room for a proper one.
Was it too difficult to change our incorrect room since the beginning?
Also, the windows cannot be open, so the temperature that you can have is really high, which could be dangerous specially for the elderly. They didn't offer any solution to this, so we had to sleep with the doors open, to let the air from the corridors get into the room, and refresh the room a little bit.

Room Tip: In general, awful hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank malenagf
Reviewed 24 August 2013

A very nice modern hotel on face value, however the ventilation was non existent. The windows where seal for 'saftey reasons' / to prevent smoking. I personally found it impossible to sleep and would go as far as to question whether this hotel meets minimum ventilation regulations? There was a ventilation system that the receptionist freely admitted was set by head office, despite having engineers to check it's function they basically couldn't fix it as it was set low for economic reasons. I left the hotel at 3am and paid for a taxi to return home as it was unbearable.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank epicandy
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Clean, well equipped (teas, coffee, tv), excellent location in Balham itself and for central London. 25 minutes on the tube, which is next door to the lodge. We had a twin room with wet room. Really roomy.

Good sound proofing in rooms, even those on the train line side of the hotel.

Great value for money, If Balham, Tooting or Clapham are your main visiting areas, this is the best choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends