“Good Value for the price.”

Travelodge London Balham
Ranked #383 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Spent two nights here in late June as pretty much every other hotel I usually use in London was fully booked. Was a little nervous after reading earlier posts but needed somewhere not too far out from the centre. The check in was fine and my room on the second floor was pleasantly large with a fan provided. Not surprisingly the fan was on for all of both days as the temperature outside hit the high 20's. Keeping the curtains closed kept the temperature acceptable and although I could see the railway lines from the room, It was pretty well insulated. The bed was extremely comfortable, as were the pillows and the linen crisp and immaculately clean. The bathroom was functional but scrupulously clean with good quality towels too. As the hotel is only two mins walk from both the underground and the overground, I will certainly use it again. The price was a third of what I usually have to pay and extremely good value as a result. This hotel delivers more than I expected for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Brands_03

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Booked this hotel as we were going to a music festival for the day in Clapham, we paid extra for early check in which was 12 o'clock, we had requested a lower floor room, when we arrived 30 minutes earlier than check in we were told our room on floor 3 wasn't yet ready but one on floor 1 was, which was great as we wanted one on this level, so we checked in early.
The room was absolutely spotless, the room wasn't the biggest but it was only for one night but was ideal, the mattress was lovely and firm and the bedding nice clean and fresh, not one bit of dust anywhere, lovely modern bathroom with shower which had plenty of hot water and lots of pressure. The room was a little warm as windows don't open but not as bad as other reviewers have suggested, maybe because we were on a lower floor? We also took our own fan which we didn't need on all the time. Had a wonderful sleep and I usually find it difficult to sleep in any bed but my own, no noise from other guests and no outside noise even though it is situated on a busy road and near the train station, only heard a few trains if we really listened for them. We were in room 117 which was on the other side of the station near a side street, very peaceful and quiet.
Was a bit expensive at £144 for the night but this was because it was close to an event which we attended along with a lot of others at the hotel, so obviously they put their prices up as most other Saturdays were quite a bit cheaper, but as everything was perfect we couldn't complain, will definately stay here again if we are in the area. There is a lovely pub called The Clarence , just a couple of minutes walk from the hotel, lovely food and very quirky interior where we had brunch, lots of other pubs, shops and eating places nearby too :)

Room Tip: We had room 117 on floor 1 which was perfect
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Willowgeorgia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at the Travelodge last weekend , the room was clean and tidy and in a good location but unfortunately we would not stay again due to the excessive heat in the room - no opening windows or air conditioning . We had a portable fan in room but this made hardly any difference.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I made a booking a colleague in the Travelodge London Balham in May for a 4 night stay in June. I contacted the hotel directly to make sure I could pay with my Amex card. Faxed over (they don't do email) the paperwork as requested and called to check that it had been received. When the colleague arrived, they asked him for payment on arrival, nobody could find any paperwork, they would not accept payment by phone or email (I don't have a fax machine at home) and were utterly, utterly UNHELPFUL. Just no interest in customer service. STAY WELL CLEAR!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Julie K
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This Travelodge was a great disappointment. It was relatively new and clean but the heat in the bedrooms is unbearable. There is no air conditioning and no way of opening a window to get air circulating. I enquired regarding an electric fan but none were available. The coolest place was on the floor so rather than overheat on the bed I decided to lay the duvet on the floor and lie on top of that. I might as well of gone camping. The next day my wife and I were so tired we went home early. This is the first time we have stayed at a travelodge for a few years and were very disappointed with what we found. The highlight of the stay was the fantastic Italian restaurant called Bucci at 195 Balham HighRoad, really worth a visit.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank DavidG1543
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel is ideally situated on Balham High Road and close to some excellent restaurants and shopping. My favourite Italian restaurant Buccis is less than 5 minutes walk away. If you drive there is plant of (free) road parking nearby especially at the weekends - just be away by 10am on a Monday or any weekday! The tube station is 2 minutes on foot on the Northern Line so getting about is easy. The hotel is clean, functional and great value for money - we have been there a number of times because it ticks all the boxes. And we will be going again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
2  Thank roadsiderobbie
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Checked in on the Sat morning bout 10 am only told couldn't have room till after 2pm .which is fair enough . Leaving our cases in reception and going about our business / leisure in London great day returned back to the hotel bout 10pm to be told that our room was off order due to broken shower they said we couldnt stay at the hotel .myself & my wife were furious after a long argumentative debate we agreed to stay in the room for the night with a guarantee that we would be moved to a new room at 8am next day .our room was on the 5th floor it was so hot even in the corridors. unbearable to sleep no air conditioning windows don't open . Basically unbearable did not sleep a wink .told girl at reception who said there's a problem with the air conditioning system .we finally moved rooms next day at 11am room on ground floor was great lovely and cool only problem you hear every tube .but hey you can't have everything .still awaiting my e voucher that I was promised for all the inconvenience occurred .tried numerous times emailing and trying to contact but not having much look feel like if you don't persue that they will brush under the carpet and forget all bout it all together !

• Stayed: June 2014