“Reasonable price and great views over the Thames...”

Emirates Air Line Cable Car - Royal Docks
Ranked #56 of 1,679 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Emirates Air Line crosses the River Thames between Greenwich Peninsula and the Royal Docks, just five minutes from the O2 by North Greenwich Tube station. Cabins arrive every 30 seconds and flights are approximately 10 minutes each way.
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I was visiting nearby and decided to check this out as I had time to spare. I had just visited Barrier Park from Pontoon Dock Station, so used my travelcard to get the DLR to Canning Town, then back to Royal Victoria which is a short walk to the cable car station. I got a discount from having the travelcard, so a one way trip cost me £3.20. There is a return option to get off and come back later, or a choice to stay on and come straight back. The views were very impressive and as it was a quiet day I got a car all to myself. I got to see a different view of the flood barrier, river and of the O2 and Canary Wharf through to Central London. The ride is about 20 minutes and takes you to the other side of the river, dropping you off a short stroll to the 02. All I had to do was walk across to North Greenwich Tube Station to get back into London. Much more interesting journey than just going back on the DLR.

1  Thank Gary P
There are newer reviews for Emirates Air Line Cable Car - Royal Docks

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Easy access to the London cable car. In the winter months this seems to be a good time to visit no queues and cars hardly used. We did pre book but at 12 noon we were the only ones using it.The 360 ticket allows you to travel over the Thames and back without getting off.We got on at Greenwich which offers plenty of places to eat and you can wander around the area with ease not crowded at all.Views were great .

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I went here expecting to queue and both times I went (morning and evening) it was very quiet. If you gave an Oyster card you get the best deal and I thought the price was very reasonable. You get a great view of London, the O2 and City airport. I used the cable car instead of the tube to get to a concert at the O2 and I am glad I did as it was very easy to use.

A must do when you are visiting London!

1  Thank aks120LasVegas
Reviewed 20 January 2014

chose to go to ride the cable car this sunday as although cold was quite a clear day with hardly any wind. booked online which meant no queuing for tickets. once we were through the gates we only had to wait a few minutes before stepping into a car with three other people. you can book a car all to yourself but its very expensive and as everybody else is there to enjoy the experience we didn't mind being in a car with other people. the cars climb quite steeply before levelling out and travelling steadily across the thames giving you plenty of chance to take in all of the sites of the city and river areas. we had chosen not to get off at the other end and return back in the same car as we had the sightseeing ticket which means there is no need to get off and queue again on the other side which when busy would take a lot longer. each way takes around 10 minutes except peak times during the week when its half that time. check out the website for further info. its high, dry and fab

1  Thank michael l
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Easy to get to. Took about 10 minutes one way. Nice view of the O2 and the river. Not so nice over construction site. Could do a better job reclaiming this piece of land. Worth going if nothing else to do.