“Lovely hostel,great value”

The Monkeys in the Trees
Ranked #533 of 837 Speciality Lodging in London
“Lovely hostel,great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last week, really cute hostel, nice small community and very cosy pub downstairs. rooms were spacious and bathrooms were good (never had to wait for a shower!) staff were really helpful and friendly! Location is a little out of way but i really enjoyed escaping the big city after a day of walking around and coming back to a quiet area and a cosy pub for a pint! Highly reccomended!

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

Horrible experience.This hostel has BEDBUGS!Also they charged me for cancelling the rest of my stay due to this issue and were very unpleasant about it! Horrible experience! Tried to get hold of them later to cancel anfd thet avoided me and then told me i would nnot be charged then sent email saying i would.I contested this and they just sent unpleasent email back blaming my attitude!horrible unpleasent experience was very angry!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CBingham
MonkeysLondon, Manager at The Monkeys in the Trees, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Hi Christina,
To start with, you DIDN'T stay with us. Your original booking came through the Hostelworld website and its been made on 17/01/13 for your arrival on 18/01/13 and then you've cancelled it via email and over the phone stating family problems... You have been informed that you'll be charge for the first night as our cancellation policy is 48hours before arrival and that is when you started all this campaign with badmouthing us wherever you can.

Monkeys in the Trees.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

Absolutely loved my stay at this hostel, everyone was extremely friendly, the room I stayed in was extremely clean, the kitchen had all the utensils necessary. The TV room was renovated right before I got there and was in excellent condition with lots of table space and easy seating for at least fifteen people. The pub (which is also used in the mornings for the free all you can eat breakfast) is very comfortable with discounts on the drinks for hostel patrons.

There are enough showers available on the first floor (the second floor showers are girls only so I wouldn't know about those) to never have to wait.

The lockers are spacious and plentiful, there's no reason why anyone should ever feel like their stuff is unsafe and the people who stay here are a pretty close-knit bunch with nice mix of short-term and multi-week guests, everyone is always welcomed into what almost feels like a family.

The staff was always incredibly friendly and helpful, from the owner to the bartenders/hostel check-in guys to the cleaning staff.

I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms 102 and 103 only have six beds in them and are nice and cozy.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew B
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

Awesome place, great pub area down the bottom. It doesn't get too busy but the decor is brilliant and comfortable. Very friendly staff and decent rooms! Would definately come back again. My only qualm is that its a bit far from a station but I guess it can't be helped.

• Stayed December 2012
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

My friend and I stayed here for a weekend trip to London and really enjoyed our stay. The staff was super friendly and we met loads of other like-minded travelers. It was pretty out of the way from the city center, but it was so easy to walk to the tube station and take the tube into the city. The hostel was always clean and it wasn't too crowded either. The rooms are small, but why do you need anything bigger? The only thing I would change is that the room we stayed in was pretty cold, but if that's my only complaint then I would say this is the best hostel in London! And they employ a handsome Tasmanian devil too!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank EL R
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

I was coming for a few days to England, primarily for the wedding of a friend, and decided to see a little bit of England. I use London as a central point for the place I'd stay at.
So I wanted something that would be cheap enough and yet comfy/convenient. Also note that I was there just the week before the Olympics started...

First of: the location...
This is not central London in the sense that you'll need a few tube stops before getting to any of the big attractions in London. It's about 10 minutes walk from the nearest tube stop (Shepherd's Bush Market). Some also would call it a "dodgy" neighbourhood. Now I guess where they would be coming from as it's not as posh as other places, for sure, but I don't know if I would call it dodgy.
What I ended up finding convenient though (especially as I was coming back later in the evenings) was to take the tube to Hammersmith then a bus (riding all night I believe) that would bring me closer to the hostel.
The street is also a really quiet one so no waking up because of busy traffic.

The staff...
That's what for me was the best part. I wasn't very present at the hostel as I was obviously out and about but when I was there and asked for advices, they would give them to me nicely and extensively. (This is how I found out about the above mentioned bus for example)

The rooms...
I had of course been hoping to get one of the custom-beds rooms but, oh surprise!, I didn't. I ended in one of the others that have very simple metallic dorm beds. I was a little disappointed of course but having read other reviews, I knew this could happen and was mentally prepared. I got over my disappointment quite easily. The bed, if not excessively comfy was alright and very clean at least (the most important in my opinion). The girls only room I'd gone for wasn't fully booked for the time of my stay so I had nice and quite nights, with girls respectful enough not to be loud when coming in/going out. That's always much appreciated!

The pub...
The pub is probably a nice place to hang out a little in the evening but I didn't get the opportunity to give it a try, all on my way here and there that I was. The only time I got to stick around was on the first morning when I took my included-in-the-price breakfast and well... that's the only morning I stayed there for breakfast. It was rather boring in a general point of view. The food was really (REALLY) average and the atmosphere was between sleepiness and boredom (not what you want when in London, expecting the time of your life). I would advise you to skip their breakfast (unless you're on a real tight budget) and find something else elsewhere.
The small garden at the back though is quite lovely by sunny weather!

The facilities...
Alright so this wasn't the highlight of my stay. The bathrooms-slash-showers-slash-toilets are pretty small and the shower curtains weren't all that clean. I wish they'd just shoved them in the washing machine before I arrived. I guess I wasn't that important a guest for it to be done then.
Surprising though, seeing how nice and clean the bed sheets were...
Call me precious, let's just say I kept my flip flops in the shower!
There's no mention of it anywhere that I could find but know that there's no lockers in the bedrooms. There are some on one floor in the hall way. You'll just have to give a £5 deposit for a key.

So all in all, I would recommend the place (I actually did to good friends of mine staying there for New Year's) unless you're scared of Ethiopian semi-dodgy neighbourhoods or of slightly dirty shower curtains. If you're able to get passed that (which isn't that hard really), I believe you'll have a good stay. I did anyway.

Room Tip: I believe that if you do want one of the rooms with custom bed, you'll have to ask the hostel up...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LilRedFrog
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

I found this hostel to be quite reasonable.It is located outside of central London, which is a bit of a pain because all the tourist attractions i wanted to visit were in central London. It made transport lengthy are more expensive than it already is (even with an oyster card).

The size of the hostel is rather small, which meant we were packed in a tiny room like sardines, that there was very little kitchen space for food and space for luggage ( a massive suitcase). In saying this, there was opportunity to meet people and it was always very quiet whilst in my room.

I felt very safe in my hostel. Not once did I lock up my laptop or other personal belongings. I stayed with 5 guys in the room and they all respected my privacy and were great to chat with. Curtains were a great touch for privacy but the beds I had an issue with. The springs were sticking out of the bed and the roof is too low ( hit my head I don't know how many times).

The hostel is very clean but the temperature of the showers can be difficult to get right. The free WIFI is great and breakfast was a real price saver ( basic cereal and toast but really tasty)
The bar downstairs has a lovely vibe to it and the staff are really lovely.

For the price I payed for the hotel I would come back here again. I would not recommend the hostel to families or couples, but if your independent traveller short of cash and want to meet people over a pint come to this hostel.

Room Tip: The hostel in located in a residential area. It was never noisy and I always slept soundly through t...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo