“Nice decor, friendly staff and great food!”

Donostia Restaurant
Ranked #1,118 of 23,023 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
London, United Kingdom
“Nice decor, friendly staff and great food!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

A truly enjoyable experience from beginning to end. The waiting staff were very welcoming and professional but not too stuffy and formal. The food was really very good and at one stage it felt like I was back in the narrow streets around Calle Serrano in Madrid (which is a very good thing!!!). The wine was from Granada and was the recommendation of the waiter (as he came from here). It did not disappoint!
Really looking forward to my next trip there. Muchísimas gracias!!!

2 Thank mulliganc

New Orleans
“Unexpected Surprise”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a small Basque Tapas restaurant located a block or 2 off of the Marble Arch corner of Hyde Park. It is very small with maybe 15 tables and 8 seats at the bar. It was suggested to us to reserve at the bar to watch all the action in the "kitchen" much like a short order diner where all the food is prepared as you watch (with supplies brought from another unseen prep kitchen). The bar consisted of a choice between 3 distinct gin and tonic recipes served in very large glasses and a generous wine list. We tried the Hendricks and Cucumber with elderberries G&T and were not disappointed. The kitchen, as it was, consisted of 3 chefs using just a griddle, grill, deep fryer and stove and a small table top oven for warming bread. They were efficient and proficient in a tiny space turning out high end fare such as frog legs, pigeon, Wagyu beef mini burgers, foie gras and carved while you watch Iberico Ham. We tried the croquettas w/ jamon, Pan con Tomte, The Heirloom tomato salad special that was quickly erased from the board once the tomatoes were gone, an Iberico ham board, 2 orders of the Iberico pork shoulder served with Romesco sauce (all orders are appetizer size), the Patatak - triple cooked chips with brava sauce, and one tiny but excellent Wagyu burger for sampling of the menu that was very good. We sat at the bar as suggested and while it was great fun, we found that we didn't have enough will power and continued to order items that looked good to us as we watched them being prepared for someone else. It was just too easy to over order and we tasted the items in a sequence that may not have been best suited to enjoy the flavors. Overall a very enjoyable evening with friendly service, good food and prices very reasonable for London! We highly suggest taking the time to look over menu fully before ordering so that there is some logic to the flow of the dishes you order.

Ahmadi, Kuwait
“Great food, Great service”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stumbled upon this restaurant by coincidence and decided why not try it. Was very surprised by how packed it was but was lucky we found a table easily. At soon as I viewed the menu I knew it would be hard to decided what to eat (being a muslim, no pork and no alcohol). The waiter was very helpful in telling me what I can and cannot order due to my restricted religious diet.

I ordered the Foie Gras, Ratatouille (I think it was called something else) and the Pigeon Breast. Let me just state that the Foie Gras I ordered is one of the best dishes I have ever eaten in my life. My other dishes were also delicious.

Overall I would recommend this to everyone I know (though I would warn anyone who is muslim about the menu)

2 Thank Abdulrahman A
London
“Great Surprise”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I was asked out to Lunch by a Foody Friend and I was not going to miss out .
I would never have thought in my wildest dreams how good this lunch was going to be.

Food sublime, service friendly yet professional.

Tapas

Croquettes light and crispy on outside soft and taste inside .

Prawns exquisite.

Monkfish on Black ink rice to die for.

Beef slivers tasty and tender.

THEN

The Pork Shoulder Slow cooked to perfection.

WOW!

All eaten in the sunshine and washed down with Rioja.

What a restaurant. Thanks to Melody and the team.especially the chef.

Prices so reasonable .

I WILL BE BACK

2 Thank stuartlegassick
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Authentic fab food and atmosphere!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Sat at dining bar which was fab. Watched food all freshly cooked to order. Excellent quality food, service and atmosphere. Highly recommend. Would fly down from Scotland just for this restaurant.

2 Thank Christina030605