“Great Tapas, friendly service in the heart of London”

Donostia Restaurant
Ranked #550 of 24,268 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Genuine and fast Tapas served with a smile, reasonable prices for Central London and only a short step from Marble Arch - well worth recommending

2  Thank Pee_Ouan

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Just visited Barcelona a week ago, I had the opportunity to visit this place since I was staying close by. The place itself looks nice. We came early without reservation. The food choice is good. The quality is almost as good as in Barcelona. The major difference is on price, probably because of London and it's nice location. This is why I rated as a 4. The price of a glass of red Spanish wine (8.5 pounds) is a bit high also they are cheaper ones. I would definitely come back, the overall experience was really positive.

1  Thank Scram2
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Before the first course arrives, before we’ve even ordered, there is some fine bread with olive oil on the side that tastes as if it were made on premises because there are lovely hints of rosemary and pepper. I join these lovely slices with a Hendrix gin and tonic that bursts with flavour from the addition of cucumber.

When the G&Ts are gone we follow with a Vina Zonzal Graciano 2009 Navarna. A red this red is as deep as the colour itself, sweet and smokey. It balances well with the tapas and mains we enjoy. We start with the Kintoa board, a lovely wooden presentation of chorizo, sauciscon, and Byonne ham. The thin slices are beautifully intense. Most chorizos might as well be a hot dog when compared to this chorizo. The sauciscon meanwhile is embedded with delightfully spicey peppery chunks and the Byonne ham is in the same class as a fine Parma ham.

More tapas keep arriving. A deep-fried crispy baby squid is crunchy and chewy and could be a meal in and of itself. Some lovely fresh Pereno peppers are deep fried and generously laid with solid chunks of sea salt giving a sweet explosion when combined with the pepper seeds.

As the restaurant is a tapas one, the mains portion is appropriately a bit smaller than usually found in Britain. It is a wonderful pidgin breast served on something I’ve never had before, a smoked chestnut puree. The vegetables on the side are some wild mushrooms. By making them into a puree, these are the most delicious chestnuts I have ever tasted.

Last course is the desert course. I opt for the zokolote, a chocolate mousse that is thick an creamy and melts like heaven. My friend opts for the pear soaked in red wine, also divine. Me gusta, I’m looking forward to my next visit.

2  Thank FireCrackerWoman
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had dinner at Donostia last night and it was very good. The food was prepared well and the service was good. The restaurant is small so we sat at the bar. The meal was expensive and the portions very small. It is food to savour, eat slowly and enjoy. We would definitely return and recommend the octopus, pork shoulder and monkfish.

3  Thank SandCHouston
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is one of the best Spanish restaurants in London. The selection of food is interesting and it is an ideal place to taste different dishes. Everything we tried was tasty. They also have a good selection of wines. Service is quick and friendly. Do not miss this place for a nice Spanish meal in London.

2  Thank orchid5a