“Much better than expected”

easyHotel Old St / Barbican
Ranked #671 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I booked 10 nights in a standard twin room for myself and my 10 year old son in July, and since I booked several months in advance it cost just under £400 for the stay. As the holiday approached I started having major concerns about the size of the room and the temperature inside – I didn’t know at the time I booked that we would be having a heatwave this summer! I needn’t have worried… the room had plenty of space for our luggage, it was pleasantly cool at all times, the bathroom pod was cute (and very well-ventilated – which meant that it wasn’t a problem that the shower, sink and toilet were so close together as everything dried quickly) and we barely noticed that there was no window. We knew in advance that we’d have to go out for breakfast so although inconvenient, I can’t really complain about that.

We had a slight problem with a water leak one day (apparently from pipework which ran under one of the beds) but this was dealt with efficiently by the very helpful and friendly staff.

Altogether we were extremely happy with this budget hotel and wouldn’t hesitate to go back again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,521)

Reviewed 22 October 2013

As the title of my review implies, I've stayed here before, in fact, I was one of the first to stay here and review this hotel on Tripadvisor when it initially opened.

I was looking forward to returning and expecting the same, reliable, no-frills, good value stay that I'd had in the past and that I'd had from the other Easyhotel's I'd been staying at regularly over the last few months (I usually choose the excellent Earl's Court branch on my regular leisure trips to London but on this occasion, Old Street was a few pounds cheaper so I thought I'd give it a try again - big mistake!!!)

All seemed fine at first. The initial receptionist had a bit of a panic as he couldn't find my reservation and it took my nosey partner to rifle through the paperwork that had been left freely lying around on the front desk for anyone to look at to go "here it is" (!!!!) and hand him it. There was another receptionist who I recognised from my first stay here who was once again very pleasant to us and easy to build up rapport with.

As others have mentioned, there are some buttons missing from the lift which could do with fixing but once you get used to that, it's no big deal. Upon checking in, we were initially pleased with our room as it was slightly larger/better use of space than some of the rooms we've had at Earl's Court although there was no hanging space/coat hooks which does make it difficult for towels to dry etc

It was only as we spent more time in the room that we realised the problem with the air conditioning system (and reading back through reviews on here suggests it's an ongoing problem with no plans for a solution). As it was an unusually warm day for mid-October in London and as the room was a small windowless room, I wasn't too alarmed at first, until I heard another couple down the hall complaining loudly about the heat in their room and watching them being walked around the the hotel by a receptionist trying to find a more suitable room.

I complained to reception and incredibly, the receptionist brought a chair into the room to stand on, grabbed some toilet roll, and plugged the two air conditioning vents with the toilet roll and asked us to keep the door open for 5 minutes to let some cool air in which would resolve the problem (it didn't, and as if I had nothing better to do than stand wedging a hotel room door open all afternoon when I have places to be!!!)

It goes without saying that we had an unbearable night's sleep. The next morning, I popped back down to reception (to get toilet roll, probably because our receptionist the previous day had used it all on the air conditioning ;) ) although funnily enough, the last time we stayed here I remember having to ask for toilet roll too, which just seems like bad housekeeping. I mentioned the heat again and gave our room number to the receptionist (the nice guy that I remembered from my first stay here). He said he'd be up to check it out, but he never came. Disappointing. He did, however, take me on a lovely walk to the housekeeping cupboard with him and literally hand me the last two toilet rolls in the hotel (gold dust!!!)

In the middle of winter when it's freezing and snowing, I'm sure I'll be glad to book another stay here if the rooms are still hot, but for now, I'll be returning to Earl's Court. What a real, real shame. This is the newest of the Easyhotel's and it should be the flagship branch. It really has gone downhill fast and I hope that someone sorts it out because it's really letting down the brand and making me consider spending that extra £10/£15 and go to my other budget favourite, Tune Hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for one without broken air conditioning if such a room exists!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, staff were friendly, it was close to a tube station, centrally
located, had wifi in the reception area, the bedrooms were clean and very comfy beds! Overall cheap & cheerful :) great stay for a couple of days would definitely stay again!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Baggy_gi
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights, £29 per night - twin room, no window.

It's the newest of London's easyHotels. A big plus is the lift.
The location is very good, short walking distance to the tube stations Old Street (Northern Line) and Barbican (Circle, Ham & City and Metropolitan Lines).

The room was very big (in relation to other easyHotel rooms!) and clean.

The stuff was VERY helpfull and nice.

Will come back in early 2014. Would recomment it every time.

Room Tip: Twin rooms have seperate beds and are bigger rooms as double-bed rooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Grisu89
Reviewed 15 October 2013

AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID this hotel until the management fix the air conditioning. Otherwise you'll be staying in a room with a choice of hot air or very hot air and no opening window. Management apparently won't spend the money - after all once you've paid there's no way of getting a refund anyway.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else until management take their infrastructure issues seriously.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank A_weekly_visitor
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Really great value for money in good location 5 minutes walk from Old Street tube and on bus routes. Nicer than some others in this chain in older buildings. If you just want a place to crash in central London this is absolutely ideal.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank cjp102
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Out in London after work? Rather than mess around with taxis and trains, stay here. It's clean, secure and comfortable. Regularly stay here and would definitely recommend.

This one is handy for Central London. The rooms are a good size and are very comfortable. I don't book a room with a window because I don't need one.

No breakfast but there are plenty of places nearby to pick one up

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo