“You get what you pay for.....or not”

and 1 more site!
easyHotel Old St / Barbican
Ranked #707 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“You get what you pay for.....or not”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I've stayed in many budget hotels barely above being classed as a hostel so i didnt expect much from this hotel. It has a bed, a towel and shower gel....thats it. I'm guessing the urine stench in the bathroom, the mould on the shower curtain, the toilet seat that doesnt actually fit and the lack of air con (which was bunged up with paper) came free. On arrival the front door says "pull to open" after 5 mins of searching for the missing handle, we realised that we had to wedge our fingers inbetween the doors to open them (as there was no receptionist) to push the door open. 20mins standing with other guests waiting to be seen, the receptionist comes in from the chippy with his dinner (still waiting on a "sorry to keep you"). A customer in front of us complained her room stank of urine, so the "last room available" was given to her, which we discovered later on that it also stank of urine. I'm guessig this is an issue on quite a few of the rooms. Enter the lift to find no buttons, only holes in the wall panel to which you need to stick your fingers into to get the lift to go. Thankfully we only used the room for the purpose of sleeping and changing. We spent as much time as possible exploring London. We may try Easy Hotel again but this time a different site, which hopefully doesnt have a urine problem. Its cheap and somewhat cheerful, It shouldnt really be classed as a hotel tho, its more a very basic travellers hostel.

Room Tip: Dont expect much, Rooms next to the lift are extremely noisy. Hope the smell of urine doesnt bother...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dwaite32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We booked this a windowless room in this hotel for one night to save a bit of money. BIG MISTAKE. After we checked in we noticed the room was getting a bit warm. Then it became worse and worse - it was like there was NO AIR CIRCULATION in the room whatsoever!! The receptionist said she was aware of the problem and someone was working on it. Then afterwards I asked her how long it had been broken for, she told me that it had been BROKEN FOR MONTHS! I asked to upgrade to a room with a window, but they were sold out. The receptionist desk had a sign saying they would not tolerate abuse against their staff, and no wonder they have to put that sign on, anyone would feel the heat after being suffocated. Never mind if they provide breakfast, clean linen, or even a bed - they don't even care about providing AIR!! If you still want to stay here, get a room with a window.

Room Tip: Just don't!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nicky L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights as I needed somewhere very low cost.

The hotel is in serious need of a facelift - the lift wasn't in the greatest condition with buttons missing etc but seemed safe.

The room was clean and very basic with 2 single beds, a mirror and a few power points but there was no table or anywhere to put your laptop etc.

The bathroom wasn't that clean which was disappointing and the shower curtain smelt a bit strange when it got wet....which was worrying. The water wasn't that warm.

Overall though, considering the price I paid (£50 per night for a twin room) and the location (5minute walk to old street tube) I could put up with the faults.

The only interaction with staff is at reception and they were friendly enough.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Wales
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have had the misfortune of staying at this hotel on several occasions during the last few months (for work). I have now found another hotel slightly further afield that is much more comfortable for the money. Each week the rooms have become increasingly warmer and the thermostat is useless in bringing the temperature down. I have stayed in rooms with and without windows and there is absolutely no difference - the windows do not open to let fresh air in. Hot water has been patchy and some weeks I have had to use another vacant room for a shower in the morning. I have had enough now and taken my business elsewhere. If it wasn't for the awful heat and lack of air, I would probably continue with my bookings in the hotel, but until that gets sorted, im off elsewhere!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Let's start by saying this is not a hotel is any sense of the word.
The hotel is nothing more than a sleeping pod.
The room is tiny with no real facilities except a bathroom and a bed.
No wardrobe, no TV, no chair, no desk, no tea making facilities etc.
The bath room is a small modular cell. technically you can sit on the toilet, clean your teeth and wash your hair without moving.
You have to pay extra for a window which I did, but could not lift the blind as it looked straight into a busy office.
Getting hot water is a challenge, as is setting the room temperature.
Why would you stay here? Well it is cheap? But you can get better deals in London if you book in advance.
I have to say the bed was firm and the sheets clean, the towels are very posh.
The room was very clean (difficult not to be really as the cleaner would not have to move from the same spot)
It reminded me of when I used to work on oil rigs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank marktbu711n
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Booked this hotel for myself and a colleague as it seemed a good price and more importantly close to where we needed to go - didn't mind about rooms being small etc, just wanted somewhere to sleep. I was embarrassed to find my female colleague in the dirty, leaf-filled foyer waiting for me, concerned about the loud disputes in progress at the desk. We got to our rooms (paid extra for a window!) - more embarrassment for me - bed was good (clean and proved very comfy) but my room was distinctly dirty. We both wished we had got a room without windows - they were dirty and looked out on an uninspiring almost squalid scene - blinds were pulled down immediately. There was nowhere to put anything - no bedside table, chair etc - had to balance towels on my luggage. Bathroom was minute and "plastic", though shower worked ok and water was hot. Corridors throughout the building were down at heel and dirty to my eyes, which was surprising as I thought this was the newest Easy Hotel. To be fair the hotel was half the price of any practical alternative, but I honestly wished I had gone elsewhere - it was not the lack of space but feeling of grim griminess that put me off.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a window, unless you know what sort of view you'll get
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Gomersal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

During august we decided to attend an event due to this over running late we arrived at almost midnight and was allocated the most disgusting and unhygienic room on asking to change rooms we where informed the hotel was fully booked however was later informed that this was not the case.
Personally I believe as a homosexual couple the reason we where not moved was caused by the personal opinions of the member of staff on duty that evening when I highlighted that to the hotel management they failed to respond for 2 months until I contacted the Easy group head office
I was then sent a load of dribble from the manager basically trying to legally cover up his own failures
I was also given a credit to my easy hotel account which I had stated was an insult to our integrity
would I really want to stay here again or at any easy hotel property? Most certainly NOT

I would avoid this place like the plague it would be more comfortable sleeping with the homeless on the streets of the city.

Room Tip: Don't even book a stay here as you will sadly be disappointed
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple