“Perfect for the price”

easyHotel Old St / Barbican
Ranked #759 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My wife and I went to Europe for our honeymoon and London was our first stop. We decided to stay at EasyHotel because of the price. We knew going into this trip that we were not going to be spending much time in our room anyway. We just need a place to sleep, use the shower, and use the bathroom. EasyHotel covered that!

Upon check in, the person behind the counter was very nice. We got there earlier than expected, but our room was available, so he let us check in a few hours early. This was great because it gave a chance to hit the city and begin exploring.

The room was very small, but we knew that going into the trip. There is enough room for a bed and our suitcases. That is fine. All we needed was the bed.

My main concern was noise level. Since there were so many rooms in the hotels in a tight space I was expecting tons of noise. This was not the case and I am very thankful for that.

This place is not a five-star hotel, but if you just need a place to rest your head and clean up, it is perfect!

We would stay there again if money was tight.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew D
There are newer reviews for easyHotel Old St / Barbican

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

This is the 2nd EasyHotel I've stayed in. I upgraded to a window room this time although it was overlooked by offices about 10 feet away. It's a really clean and really cheap hotel. There's not much service to speak of but the staff on the desk are pleasant. Handy location. Major downside was a constant vibration sound but to be fair it didn't stop me sleeping. You want a cheap stay in London more private than a hostel this could be the choice for you.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Clanzman
Reviewed 12 March 2014

First things first, I was not expecting the Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites when my girlfriend and I booked a room here. We had stayed in another London Easy Hotel a couple of years ago near Earl's Court, and we found it to be just what you expect for the price: spartan but decent.

So, I know not to expect much, but this place was just terrible. The first night, our room reeked abominably of mold, which was clearly on the shower curtain and around the edges of the floor in the bathroom, which was peeling away from the walls and the concrete underneath the floor. My girlfriend asked to be changed to a new room. Unfortunately, they were full that night, and the young lady working the counter admitted that the whole place was crappy.

Thankfully, though, the manager the next morning was very understanding and said she would have the room cleaned more thoroughly. Just to be safe, however, she put us in a new room. In that one, the shower curtain was still an odd mixture of off-white and rust, but at least there was no stench of mold. Sadly, that room was like an oven for the rest of our stay. To explain, there are AC and heating controls in the room, yet they appear to be just for show. We tried every setting--high, medium, low, heating off, AC on, everything off--and still we were blasted with the same hot stream of air. I gave in and asked the young man at the counter, a rather sour and aloof fellow, if there was anything he could do. Finally, he told me that the heating was tied in to whole floors and controlled by the front desk. Why, then, do they have controls in the room? Anyway, he said he would shut off the heat for just a while. That never happened. For the rest of our stay, when we weren't sleeping or in the bathroom, we simply opened the door to let in some cool air from the hallway.

I am willing to admit that when it is not winter, this place might be marginally passable for the price. After all, it really is a steal for its location given how much most London hotels cost. Furthermore, the beds, which along with a toilet in a shoebox, is really what you pay for, are very comfortable in fact--and clean. And I will admit that the manager tried her best for us. In the end, however, I am never staying here again if there is any chance that they might be running the heat.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was slightly wary of staying here after reading other reviews, but couldn't find anything else reasonably priced in the area, so promised myself that in the interests of justice I would post my own review afterwards...

Staff perfectly friendly, room quite clean (and I used to work in housekeeping so I know what I am talking about!), very convenient location.

I understand what they are trying to do with keeping things minimal and easy to clean, etc., however -- the only space in the room not occupied by the bed is a little bit of floor in between the door to the room and the door to the bathroom -- this is the only place to put anything -- your suitcase, your glasses, your watch -- anything! Surely some wipeable, easy-to-clean shelf could be affixed to a wall somewhere so I can put my coffee cup somewhere other than the floor?!

My fiance and I were only staying there for one night, but if we were there for a week, I can see the space issue becoming a serious problem. C'mon easyHotel -- there's got to be a clever solution to this problem -- otherwise it's a fairly genius idea for people who just need a clean safe conveniently located place to stay...

Room Tip: IMO, it's worth paying extra for a window as I could easily see it getting a little claustrophob...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sludge77
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I went for 1 night with low expectations.
It's not that bad. Originally checked into disabled room, but door wouldn't lock, so given a window room which was much smaller. Windows don't open.

Easyhotel barbican. Is it most like;
A) staying inside a 'big yellow storage' facility
B) being contained under her majesty's pleasure
C) being in the bottom of a ship

Shower was luke warm, tiny, no hooks or shelfs. But clean.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, in a twin room overlooking Old Street. Gentleman on reception was excellent, extra pillows and a fan were brought up to our room, customer service was excellent.
He said he couldn't change the weather but would compensate with customer service, and he certainly did.

Room was spotless, had free wifi and was quiet and peaceful! Great value for central London.

Room Tip: We stayed in twin bedded room 2.06.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2014

OK so i thought id give easy hotel a go. Ill give it one good point the mattress was comfy. But that's It.
Hanging Hook - Hanging off Wall
Bathroom Tap - Not attached to sink
Toilet - Missing feet to support seat
Bathroom Floor - Peeling around the edges.
Plug Sockets - Not flush to walls
TV - Um there isn't one.
Shower Curtain - Missing
Shower Rail - Tied up with rope as broken
Bathroom Light - No switch to turn it off its on a light sensor and stays on when your trying to get sleep as you cant shut bathroom door complementary.
Disabled alarm - Tied to shower rail making it unusable in case of emergency,
Duvet - Ive had thicker sheets.
No Mention there is building work going on on web page. Was rudely awoken by work being done in room above.

The complaints procedure is Non Existent.
No Phone numbers for Customer service Its all done on an online help desk,.

After 2 days of complaints they offered me a credit to my easyhotell account. OK i thought ill give them one last chance as its my last night in London. Tried to use the credit to give them one last chance. Not available to use . Its there in my account but go to book room and its not there. I spent 3 hours that day trying to get sorted so i could book a room. We missed the event we were going to by trying to book a room. Ended up booking into another hotel rather annoyed. I tried so hard to give them a 2nd chance but now another 3 days on They have not replied to any correspondence. I Just Want a refund!!!!!!

NEVER TRY AND GET ANYTHING FROM THEM.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple