easyHotel Old St / Barbican
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
London City Suites By Montcalm(London)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
1,731 results
All reviewseasy hotelsstreet underground stationtriple roomshort staycouple of nightsrooms are smallmariusshoreditchtube
Reviewed 15 May 2014

On arrival at the hotel the reception area smelt bad and the sofa and the walls are dirty. The corridors had sensored lighting which rarely worked so you was walking in the dark. The room was small as expected, the window was very small and as we opened the blind the view we got was of an office. The window did not open and the room was so hot, The blinds had to be kept closed, which made the room dark and felt closterfobic. The heating system would not turn off, so the room was stuffy. The shower room was as expected, small and compact. what we did not expect was a mouldy and smelly shower curtain. We complained and was told thats what you get for the price. We stayed only 1 hour then thought for the sake of our health we has to check out. I would have prefered to stay in a hostel. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not book this so called hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank only1ant
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The rooms need to be cleaned better!!!!! Found a huge spider on my bed the size of 2 pounds and another bug I could not recognize, gross hairs stuck to the bottom of the shower curtain! Overall it felt unclean but the location was very good the staff was young oh and your phone will not have signal in the room!!!! Nightmare you feel like if something happened you would die and no one would find you.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 13 May 2014

There are two ways to review this hotel: how it compares to other hotels and how it compares specifically to other EasyHotels. The former is pointless as this will never compare favourably on any level with any other hotel in London except on price and this is the only reason you should ever consider staying here. That said it is a very big consideration - it is after all half the price of the nearest other budget chains and a quarter the price of most hotels in London.

So how does it compare to others in the chain? Well, on the plus side it has slightly larger rooms than the others in London. This is because it is created from a modern(ish) office block and not carved out of a period terraced house or houses, where rooms are squeezed in wherever they can in a building designed originally to be a single house. There is also a lift, which to those of us who have struggled with cases up ever more precipitous and narrow stairs into the eaves of the other ones is more than welcome. Apart from that much is the same. The location is decent, if that's the part of London you want to be in and it has the same modular shower room unit common to the other EasyHotels. Do note that if you are older and less flexible or remotely bigger than say, a 10 year old child, you will find these an ordeal to use as they seem to have been designed to fit the various elements into in the smallest place - completely without factoring in the presence of the person using them.

So, what's worse about this EasyHotel. Well the first thing that greeted me was an automatic door to the building that didn't work so had to be prized open manually. My next concern is the indifference of the staff. Not their unfriendliness - that comes as standard - but their lack of concern for security. I walked in and out over my days staying their without once being challenged, even by staff I had never seen before. I was quite free to walk over to the lift and take myself upstairs.

This would be a concern in any hotel, but is especially so when the door of your room had, as mine did, a tendency to appear as though I had closed and locked it properly, but on trying it then swing open to the touch. If you do stay here, please be sure to make sure your room has actually locked before you go out.

So what about the room? The stud walls, made of metal panels, are incredibly thin. I could hear every word and, what's worse, every other sound, emanating from the couple in the room next door. Having paid a premium for a window, not only was one of the blinds broken, so it was permanently down, when I opened the other one I found myself looking directly through the windows of the office building not 20 feet away - so close in fact that I could read what someone had written in marker pen on a white board in a meeting room just along.

The air con was ineffective, coming as it did out of a naked hole carved in the roof and the windows didn't open. There was no TV, though there clearly had been once. The plug cover was broken in the shower tray and the water came out almost hot at a rate and pressure that would have made a watering can look fast (further compounding the challenge of successfully having a shower).

And, as a final gripe, why are hooks considered a luxury item in EasyHotels. OK, I can deal with absolutely no furniture, but why not give a room for two people more than one hook on the wall if that is all they have to store things?

I embrace the concept of these hotels. It is like the eponymous airline - no frills. However the shoddy, broken down, dirty, neglected feel of this place felt pretty third world. It displays a lack of care for the customer that seems to go beyond no-frills to a near Ryan Air level of consideration. It is almost seems that they think that by paying so little for your room you don't deserve even the most basic level of consideration.

Then again, that goes for the entire chain and not this particular one, so to go back to our comparison with others in the chain, I probably rate this higher than the others, but it is like choosing whether you want to be bitten by a pit bull or an alsation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew L
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Based on the reviews we read our expectations weren't high.
We booked a room without a window. So we just expected a bed and a small bathroom. When we came into our room we saw that we did have window. Not that the view was something to speak off. But we did have natural light. The bed was hard, but great to sleep in. Everything was neat when we came into the room. You were able to hear people walking in the hallway, but didn't bother us.
For free WiFi we had to stay in the lobby.
This hotel doesn't serve breakfast therefor we went to a cozy pub nearby. On our way to the Old Street underground station we past The Masque Haunt, which is a nice pub were you can choose from all kinds of English breakfasts for a reasonable price.
In the end we were very pleased with this hotel. So we will probably go back there if we return to London.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ingrid S
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This may be cheap, but hardly cheap and cheerful. The front doors, supposedly automatic opening ones, are broken and look as if they were severely damaged quite some time ago.
The room more resembles a prison cell than a hotel room and consists of space (quite a lot) and a bed, end of. One broken coat hanger on the wall, two dodgy sockets that didn't work very well, no hot water, no furniture and a complete lack of service at the desk, beyond the basic necessities of handing over a key card. Be warned, they want it back each day if you dare more than one night , or just cancel your card if you take it out.
Oh, the mattress was actually quite good. If desperate, book, otherwise avoid

Room Tip: I doubt there is one