“Avoid”

Ranked #666 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Bath, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Having stayed in easyHotel in Paddington I felt I knew what I would be getting, basic, clean & small - not a problem for a budget traveller. However this 'hotel' was should be avoided. First I got into the lift and went to press the button for my floor, but all the button were missing! I had to count the number from ground and then put my finger into a hole that looked a bit like putting your finger into a cigarette lighter hole - I wasn't entirely sure if I was going to be electrocuted. When I got to my room I notices that the TV wall fixing was missing a TV so I went back to reception concerned that it might have been stolen and they explained, 'we don't do TVs'. So I adjusted my expectation to one of, ok this is literally a rent-a-bed. A little later I went to wash my hands to find that there was no soap! So I have to provide my own soap too! We left for the evening asap...

When we returned from out evening, looking forward to going to sleep, I got into bed to find that the sheet hadn't been properly and only covered a certain amount of the bed, so I then had to strip the bed and remake it at 2am after a few drinks, not something I enjoyed. Once I finally turned the lights out, a green permanently 'on' light was on the ceiling right over the bed, I turned to my partner who said, 'how are we going to go sleep' - a question I had already asked myself.

I will be requesting a refund as soon as possible.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank droctagon101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Myself and my boyfriend booked in at the easyHotel Old St in June because we were going to a gig at XOYO which is only a short walk away.
As we were on a budget we opted for the room without a window. It was very dark as you would expect but it was fine (if anything i felt the lack of daylight help me sleep my hangover off better!) The beds were comfortable, the room was spotless and the staff were very nice and helpful.
The bathroom was extremely small (think airline toilet) but it wasnt a massive problem for us!
I slept like a baby and we booked late check out for an extra £8.
This hotel is great if you just need somewhere to sleep!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Natasha O
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This could possibly be the worst hotel we've ever stayed in. We visited last week and found the service to be amongst the worst we've encountered anywhere. To be fair, the room was clean, utilitarian and reasonably priced; however, nothing could entice us to stay in another easyHotel. The size of the windowless, airless box-room was woefully inadequate for the number of beds packed into it and the green ceiling light that stays lit even when the main switch is turned off was distracting and not the best aid for a restful night's sleep. Temperature controls in the room could only be set at sweltering or hypothermic and the amount of loo roll provided was laughably tiny for three guests. There is also no parking at the hotel, which would have been fine if the staff had been able to point us in the direction of the nearest place we could leave our car overnight.
Which bring us to the worst part of our stay: the rude, uncooperative and uninformed staff. We realise that the USP of easyHotels is the price but friendliness and politeness cost nothing. We were treated to a remarkable display of hostility, insolence and discourtesy.
We had mistakenly believed that check-out was 11am so were fast asleep at 10.10am - only ten minutes after the expected check-out time - when the staff burst into the room (unapologetically smashing the door into my boyfriend's foot as they did so... testament to how small the room was!). They shouted at us that we needed to get up and leave. We hurried to pack our things and get dressed but they were back within five minutes, banging on the door again.
It doesn't matter how cheap the rooms are, no-one should be be subjected to such treatment for making a simple mistake. Believe us when we say we wouldn't have deliberately tried to stay in the room a minute longer than our allotted time; the amenities are not exactly conducive to a protracted stay. To be shouted at and herded out like cattle is absolutely unacceptable.
A terrible experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarah P

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Extremely noisy. You can hear all your neighbours' conversations plus lots of noise from bathroom doors etc. all through the night, even with earplugs! I had far better sleeps in youth hostels and on campsites. Also, was not able to regulate room temperature: room was cold, even though it was warm outside. The thermostat which was in the room must be just for show. In addition, it was a building site with plenty of noise and dirt when I stayed there. Elevator buttons were broken. Room window was frosted, so couldn't see out of. There were no shelves, bedside tables or wardrobe space for storing things. I was asked to move rooms during my stay with the second room being smaller, darker and colder, as well as noisier, as it was close to the staff room. I learnt that the staff like to talk noisily in their native language throughout the day.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Having read the reviews AFTER confirming my one night stay I did panic a bit. The Easy brand is what prompted me to just book it without checking. Travelling to London as a mum with two teenager daughters I was worried to start with. However on arrival (a straight forward walk down Old Street) we found the hotel. A friendly young man and young lady welcomed us and checked us in, room 4.13. I was pleasantly surprised the room was a good size with a double and single bed (very comfy) the bathroom or wet room was clean and big, yes the floor will be wet after you've showered but it's no big deal. The walls are thin and the flooring is laminate so sound does travel and the green light does give a weird glow but we had just been to see Wicked do thought it was funny, I tend to sleep with my eyes shut anyway!! We found a fab little street called Whitecross St that had lots of cafes and food stalls, we had breakfast in one of the cafe and wished we could have returned to sample the delights from these stall later as the smell emitting were devine. A local co-op stayed open until midnight so we called in there to buy drinks for the room. London was lovely and hot during our visit. I paid £45 for the room and it was excellent value and I will definitely stay here again. Cheap, clean, great location and simple. It's not everyones cup of tea but I just wanted a clean and safe place to lay our heads - job done :-)

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gillybt
Dresden, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was the fourth Easy Hotel I stayed at in London (the others being Paddington, Earls Court and South Kensington) and out of those four it was the worst.

The room is comparable in size and style to other small rooms in Easy Hotels, though I have to say, the room we stayed in (standard room with window on 4th floor) seemed to be recently updated. The bathroom was also different from the usual easyhotel-aircraft-cubicle-style and a bit more spacious with more room to store your things and a big mirror. However, the shower had no "lowered floor" and the curtain was not long enough so you basically flood your bathroom every time you take a shower.

The room didn't have the usual Eashotel-centrally-controlled-AC, but a real AC that you could switch on and off. Unfortunately, it was directly above the bed, so not really convenient during the night. Most annoying was the green light that is on all the night - which means, if you need your room to be dark to be able to sleep, bring a sleep mask! (We had a room with a window--I don't see any need for the green light.) The window is nice to see what weather you are to expect outside..but you won't be able to open it.
The walls are paper thin, bring earplugs if you want to be able to sleep without hearing your neighbours snore.

Apart from that, it is the usual Easyhotel room that you expect, no frills, towels provided, mostly clean upon arriving, lumpy mattress, small bed.
The reason I liked it less than the other Easy hotels was the fact that there's no wifi in the rooms available and even the wifi in the lobby (free) didn't work on 3 days out of the 5 I was there. On top of that there was a lady at the reception that was really unfriendly and not helpful at all declaring that she can't help with the wifi - it must be our "foreign" devices that stopped working all of sudden. And anyway, since the wifi is free we had no right to complain in her opinion.

Of all the four easy hotels this one provided the least service (no wifi in rooms, no TV, no extra towels to be bought, no hot drinks to be had at the reception, no snack machine in the lobby, no computers with internet and printer in the lobby, no nothing.)

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors (4&5) that seem to be newer. Don't book a room with a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We always booked the easy hotel in earls court but this time for the price we booked the old street, standard room with window, room was great, bright, clean and good size (still very small but much better then the small room, highly recommend book a standard room with window, the room without window feel very uncomfortable) 5 mins walk to old street tube station, £84 for 2 nights, you can't find the room and location better then this, for myself, I like the location in earls court, have a lots of shop and restaurant just out of the tube station, but for the room I like old street, feel clean and bright. We arrived at 1pm and the black lady receptionist tell us the check in time start at 3pm if u want to check in now extra £10 or left your bag here £5 each, so we left the bag here and give her cash, on the last day we want to left our bag here when we check out at 10am and the other receptionist there say she can't take cash, we need to pay online by credit card don't understand why?

• Stayed August 2014