“What An Amazing Bar”

Ranked #286 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“What An Amazing Bar”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

If you could picture it I was on the fourth from the left trying cocktail on the menu with my two girlfriends. Then I was eating my fish and chips to the left. The place was empty bar a few people mooching around so it felt like my girlfriends and I had run of the place. Why on earth was it a Saturday night and this place without the people? Such a shame. It’s a great little find in Baker Street just minutes walk from the tube. We stayed and ate, and the food was good, but not as good as the drink where a lot of care and attention happened in the arrays of colours into a glass and the service was excellent. Great for friends catching up, great for a romantic meet up. Not great if you want a party atmosphere but what the hell take your own party. Keep this place alive people!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berkshire
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We chose to stay here, having stayed at Charlotte Street and The Haymarket hotels before, Firmdale hotels get it just right in my opinion.

This time we wanted a north London location and this was great, very close to Marylebone Station and also to Baker Street tube line. There is a Pret nearby for coffee, snacks and also a small Tesco.

You can also go into the small square itself, the hotel will lend you the key, only residents of the square are allowed in.

It is a cosy town house hotel, but its been beautifully thought out and designed, yes some of the rooms are small, but who needs lots of space by the side of the bed? I'd much rather the space was utilised with a bigger bed and smaller floor space.

Air con, wardrobe space, minibar, great shower, robes, hairdryer, tv and a radio in both the bedroom and bathroom. Mineral water arrives with the evening turn-down. We were facing the back of the hotel and the noise was minimal considering we were in busy London. Slept brilliantly, the bed was really comfy and pillows perfect.

We walked all around Regents Park, which was lovely with the blossom, walked up Primrose Hill to see the stunning view of London before returning for a cup of tea in The Potting Shed downstairs. This is where we saw the menu for the evening, and decided to eat in.

Great choice, delicious meal, quite quiet only 4 other tables, but i I would definitely return there to eat again.

Breakfast was really well done, lovely buffet table and a wide selection of hot choices.

The hotel were happy to look after our case whilst we had another day in London. We would definitely stay here again, thank you.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Yes, the rooms are tiny; a better fit for singles, like me, or a couple. Families should loo elsewhere. The distinctive Kit Kemp-styled rooms make up for lack of square footage.
Have stayed here 3 times.

Pros: location close to Baker St. tube station, thoughtful bath amenities, well-sticked mini-bar(!), prompt room service and cloud-soft beds.

Con: No real concierge. When I asked about a restaurant, the front desk attendant just did an internet search and suggested a restaurant that turns out to have closed. Oh, well.

Do recommend as a pied-à-terre in the city for seasoned business or leisure travelers, rather than those needing more help navigating the city. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Dorset Square. The black-out curtains will keep city lights out when you...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 29 March 2014

A really charming small hotel, relaxing atmosphere, a very kind staff: good choice both for lesiure and business!
The breakfast and the dinner at the hotel restaurant were also good and pleasant.
A special thanks to Emma, the massage therapist, who gave me new shoulders!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank crizfel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I've stayed here before and got a small but decent sized room and it was a reasonably nice experience overall but this time my room is so tiny, I basically get in through the door and pretty much onto the bed. For a couple of hundred quid a night, I think I could do better and I'll go elsewhere next time. Too bad - I've always had a great experience at their sister hotels, although granted they are a liitle more pricey.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kcooksn
Marlow
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We visited the Dorset Square Hotel as we wanted to try the Potting Shed Restaurant. The rooms are lovely and luxurious, staff are friendly and helpful. The restaurant bar serves the most wonderful cocktails and the food in the Potting Shed was exquisite!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank valerie H
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This is a very well rated hotel in most of the webs in Internet. I must say it is a nice little hotel, well located and clean. I also found very good service. BUT... I have never seen a smaller room in my life! I paid 230 EUR (without breakfast) for one night and the bed was the only thing fitting in the room (individual bed!!!). There was not even a table to work.

The hotel has no elevator neither so bringing big suitcases may be a bad idea. The concierge will for sure help you to take it to the room but remember that it will no space for it!!!

I assume there a bigger rooms and I would consider going back if I can get something bigger at a decent price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business