“Blandest curry I have ever tasted”
Review of Moti Mahal

Moti Mahal
Ranked #3,045 of 23,242 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: Postcode is SW7 3DU
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I met a friend at South Kensington tube station and looked for somewhere to eat in the vicinity. He fancied a curry. I almost always do my homework first before eating at an unknown restaurant but in this case it was unplanned and there was no time. The result - disastrous! I had a chicken curry dish which was completely non-descript (can't even remember the name of it as I have tried to block it from my memory!) and my friend had rogan josh, which was equally unappetizing. Added to this, the waiter was unbelievably sullen and grumpy, uttering grunts rather than intelligible words. I think I can truly say it was worst Indian meal I have experienced for many a year.

There are newer reviews for Moti Mahal

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Our experience with Moti Mahal in South Kensington is with their Sunday buffet, having been at least a dozen times in the past few years and enjoyed both the food and service.

The experience this Sunday was a complete reverse. The restaurant wasn't terribly busy -- perhaps 6-8 tables of patrons.

However, after we sat down, no plates appeared (had to be requested), then no silverware appeared (these also had to be requested), and no one appeared to ask for drinks (had to call someone over).

Finally on to the buffet. Here it got worse. Of the eight or so dishes on the buffet table, three were already empty, and in the rest one could see the bottom of the pans. Where was the food? "It's coming right away, sir."

Well, right away was fifteen minutes in. We got started with what there was. But the worst was that during our meal, we could see that one by one the most popular dishes were running out repeatedly. First the chicken korma got finished. Then the rice got finished. Then the naan breads. Meanwhile a tiny amount of additional chicken korma had been replenished, but soon got finished again. And each time we saw patrons going up, scraping the last bits from the tureens, and going back to their tables disappointed.

Refills to the dishes were typically arriving 15 minutes later as though they were not being cooked until the tureens were almost empty. And this to a buffet.

At payment time, I made a comment to the head-waiter about the observation.

Couldn't believe my ears at the preposterous claim that "food takes time to cook". Mate, this is a buffet!

The service model of a buffet is that you don't offer many dishes, but the ones you do offer are well stocked and ready to go, being topped up when they reach half full -- not when they have run empty. If you want to cook-to-order, serve a la carte, don't run a buffet!

To my surprise, the chap now hung about to argue. Not only was he rude, ignorant and confrontational, when I suggested that he simply take the feedback and not argue it in front of the rest of his dining customers -- (heard of the customer is always right?), he had the cheek to say "I hear that from my father all the time." Well, perhaps his father knows a thing or two about running a successful restaurant.

It's a pity that this otherwise decent restaurant appears now to be run by a moron who is more interested in chasing pennies and arguing with his disappointed customers than in running a quality buffet or winning repeat business.

They won't be getting our business again.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The sauna style wooden finish bar looks a bit odd, but the restaurant is full and our food was good. Bit slow getting menus and service, but nothing too worrisome….

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The food was good but waiters were a little indifferent this time around. I regularly visit this restaurant.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

The Moti Mahal was one of the early Bangladeshi restaurants established in London in the 1950s before the passion for Indian food swept the country. I have used this restaurant since the 1960s and have seldom been disappointed with a meal. Service is friendly and prompt and the food is not over-spiced and of a consistently good quality. The menu has become "modernised" over the years to cater for the more discerning diners but they will still cook you a good old-fashioned Bhuna Ghosht or Murgi Madras if you ask for it. The restaurant is comfortable and clean with linen napkins and is ideally situated for South Ken tube station which is just across the road. Highly recommended.

3  Thank IainGDevon