“Would not stay here again”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
White House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #331 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the White House on our first trip to London. The price is pretty good, the room was nice, the bed was comfortable, and the room was cleaned everyday. Aside from that, it was not a very welcoming experience. The owner is very strict, my husband said it felt like we were staying with an overbearing mother-in-law. Breakfast is served ONLY at 8 or 830am. You must be out of the house by 10am, and there are no locks on the interior doors! There are tons of rules, no take away, no alcohol, demanded payment immediately upon arrival, etc. We were out the door every morning and did not come home until after the pubs closed....basically we avoided being there, which is not fun when you are on vacation. Lastly, and definitely not least, the owner would go off on very offensive political tirades at breakfast.

I would definitely not stay here again, and I certainly would not recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ArleyAnn

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I thought Anna was the most welcoming, funny and easy to get a long with hostess I have ever met! Her house was very well kept, and the room was so comfortable! I slept amazing in that quiet home. She is a little funny about locking her door when you come and go, but that is to be expected...this is not a hotel after all. Her breakfast was wonderful every morning, and her company was just great! The walk to Parsons Green tube was only 10 minutes, and quite honestly I enjoyed the walk every day and evening. She also recommended an italian restaraunt right by her house called LOCALE. Unbelievably good!! Best Italian I have ever had!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travis F
Reviewed 17 August 2013

After reviewing the information on the B&B, we sent our e-mail request for availability. We got a very quick answer and decided to reserve for our time in London. Eventhough it is away from the central tourist attractions, there is a bus that takes you directly to Buckingham Palace area and from then on...you visit. Very easy! My mother and I shared the upper level room with the private bathroom ( no door between the bathroom and the rest of the room!) not an issue for us but might be for others. We opted for the pick up service from the train station. Eddie was wonderfull!! Worth the extra cost! The character building experiance started upon our entry through the magic door! We had reserved for four nights and had to pay all upfront. We then needed to fill out a registration form including passport number. In all the B&B's that we have stayed in, this was the very first time that we needed to do this. When my mom asked to see the room first, the owner got a little snippy. Next step was the 15 minute lesson on how to unlock and re-lock the door properly...then I had to show her how well I had listened and learned the lesson. She commented on my intelligence! Once in the room, we were promply explained the rules and regulations...some of our favorites are:
A) having to be out of the house by 10 am EACH day...do not plan on having a lazy day or a sick day!
B) no food or drinks in the room because should you drop anything on that so called white carpet it would stain. But tea and coffee were provided on a plater....do they not stain if you spill some?
C) on the friday that we left, we had to be out by the 10 am rule. Our return flight was at 6pm. We were not allowed to leave our luggage there for the day. We spent the day at the airport beacause we could not lug our luggage arround all day...it was too heavy. What a loss of a day!
Other than that, the area restaurants were lovely. We especially loved the corner Thai restaurant! The owner was very chatty and interested in knowing all that we did the day before. Breakfast was very acceptable: croissant, fruit, cheese, coffee and tea ( whatever we asked for) and the accomodations were very clean. Eventhough the owner meant well, we did not feel very comfortable or at home in anyway. Should you want an experiance of a life time, I encourage you to reserve at this B&B!! We will remember it for always!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Thunder C
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The B&B is located in a residental area, at about 15 minute (20 with heavy luggage) walking distance from the closest tube station. It has 2 rooms for guests - one on a separate floor with en suite bathroom and one wall to wall with the owner´room with private bathroom over the corridor.

Pros:
- Quite cheap for London standards
- Owner is very responsive via email and offers a pick-up service from the airport (at an extra charge)
- The owner is very chatty and entertaining. You won't feel lonely at breakfast.
- There is a very nice Italian restaurant next door.

Cons:
- The owner sets the rules. Some examples:
1) The guests may chose between breakfast at 8 or 8:30am. Make sure you are an early bird during your holidays...
2) For breakfast, you may choose between one croissant or one slice of toast. If you wish to have more, you need to ask for every slice at a time. Btw: The comment of an earlier guest that the breakfast was all organic seems to be outdated. We had a normal Tesco breakfast.
3) The private bath room is fully carpeted. So make sure you don't spill any water. This goes particularly for the bath tub (no shower, no curtain), which is only to be used sitting.

- If you happen to get the room with the separate bathroom, the owner lives literally next door. As the walls are not the thickest in the world, better forget about privacy during your holidays.

- The room is tiny. If you bring two suitcases, make sure to plan well when you want to open one of them. There is no place for both at the same time and let alone to move inside the room. And don't be surprised if your shins are sore after your stay. There has been at least one other guest (me!) who hit it five times in two days at the edge of the bed...

Conclusion:
- Perhaps it is a matter of personal preference, but we did not feel comfortable, relaxed and at home.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the en-suite bathroom, if you would like to stay in this B&B.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Urlauber1981
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Loved this B&B - we stayed last summer and thoroughly enjoyed our time here. The room (along with the rest of the house) was very clean, large and stylishly decorated. Breakfast was delicious, fresh warm croissants...along with organic yogurts, fresh juice, cereals, toast, cheese and fruit etc. Anna is very well travelled, interesting and good fun, she was utterly charming throughout and gave us a very warm welcome, she was very helpful throughout our stay offering great advice and tips on where to visit. Will definitely be back on our next trip to London. Thank you :))

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I stayed at this B&B within the last month. I found the hostess to be overbearing and controlling; she will start racist political arguments at breakfast and insist that you are out of the house by 10:00 a.m. or give you guilt trips. Her much-touted interior decorator skills have resulted in cheap furniture placed in tiny rooms. In her own words: "Oh, you brought two suitcases. Well, you will have to leave one in the bathroom downstairs, then, because the room is not big enough for two."

There are two choices for bedrooms: either separate bathroom and toilet (which are separate from each other), or a shower/bathroom in the room but no door for privacy.

All-in-all, this was a distinctly unpleasant experience and will not be repeated.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Onadir
Reviewed 3 November 2012

First off the good points, great location in central London for under 100 pounds, beautiful and quiet neighborhood, very good continental breakfast, extremely clean rooms, tube station is an easy 10-15 min walk (Parsons Green). This isn't a touristy part of London, so you feel like a local, and that is what I wanted to experience. The negative points, the double room we stayed in for one week was very small, the private bathroom and toilet is not en-suite, so you can't just pop out in your nightgown as other guests and the owner use the hallway. You also can't lock your room upon leaving. Unlike a larger B & B or Guesthouse, where the owner might live in a seperate part of the house, the owner lives in close quarters with you. She also has many rules, make sure you are out everyday by 10 am and lock the front door properly! I didn't feel like we could come and go as we pleased, like in many places I have stayed. Honestly by the second day I wanted to leave, but as you have pay cash up front upon arrival, we had to stick it out.

If you are looking for a clean place to stay that is affordable for just a night or two, this will do for you. But if you are staying in London for longer, want a spacious, comfortable place with a feeling of privacy, look elsewhere. I will not be returning....

Room Tip: Pick the twin room for more privacy and room, if you choose this Bed and Breakfast.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple