“Heavenly friendly and tasty”
Review of Orchard - CLOSED

Orchard
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating
Neighbourhood: Holborn
Grenoble
“Heavenly friendly and tasty”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We came here after a day of visiting London and discovered an amazing place for tasty and imaginative food. We loved the multiple small dishes and the opportunity to share plates. We realize that even not vegetarians we love this kind of place because it's so much more imaginative and tasty. What we loved also is that the waitresses were very much looking forward to giving us the best experience and the kids were very happy with this. Last but not least, mugs and plates and glasses are lovely.

2 Thank NetHGrenoble

“Unique & lovely”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have visited the Orchard a number of times and have always been impressed. The combinations can seem a little unique but don’t let that put you off because the food is lovely.

The staff are very friendly and there is always someone available to serve you quickly. Getting a table inside at lunch can be challenging as the place is very popular. The only downside is it is expensive, even for central London and so I don’t visit as often as I would like to.

Their homemade biscuits are huge and taste incredible!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank ASmile123
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great escape from the cold!”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

After a tiring day in the London weather, I decided to take my friend to Orchard to show him that vegetarian food can be just as comforting, filling and delicious as non-veggie food. Having been to Orchard before, I was greeted with recognition by the staff and we had a quick chat about the absolute crap weather we had just been rescued from. Immediately we were sat at a long table with another couple eating which created a great community environment and a nice break from London urban solitude.

Being vegan, I ordered the soup (lentil, celeriac and tomato) and some purple sprouting broccoli with sesame oil. Our order was taken quickly and cheerfully by a tiny woman who was very careful I only selected vegan options. My friend having a heartier appetite ordered poached duck eggs with smoky croutons watercress and pineapple chutney AND a savoy cabbage and cheddar pudding. While the titles are a little wordy it was worth the complicated name!

Our dining experience at Orchard was just what we needed. A reasonable price for great coffee, great food and undeniable attentive and comfortable staff.

If you are ever in Holborn check Orchard out because not only is it an independent business (one of the only ones in the area) but the food is great, service is fast and the waitresses are genuinely interested in what you have to say.

GO GO GO !

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank MileyC69
London, United Kingdom
“what a change .. for the worse”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

tube strikes on, long walk across London - what a delight ... the idea of breakfast at 10am at the Orchard. Lovely place, great atmosphere, delicious food ... UH-OH! No, not at all. What a change.
There were only I table occupied, when I arrived. Strangely, we both asked for scrambled eggs on toast and were offered a set plate: eggs, mushrooms, spinach and I think some rosemary/tomato bread/cake, I think. No, we just wanted scambled eggs on toast, was that possible. Waiter had to go and ask. So, far - so fairly normal. Were told yes — Good, I thought, I'll certainly give them a tip. So we waited. We waited. Coffee take-aways came in and went, and came back again - coffee burnt tasting. My black coffee tasted watery. In a blind taste, I would have said instant or chicory, but I had seen in made from the machine. Who knows, I was cold, so settled for the comfort of black water.

The other table was served with their eggs, I continued to wait. Getting warm and pleased to be near my destination on a difficult travelling day. Eggs came, with extra toast, which I wasn't sure was for me? No, it was for the now 3rd occupant at another table. My goodness, 3 orders to get right!
I asked for more black pepper and was told my plate would have to be taken downstairs again. No!! I was too hungry, so said leave it because the eggs were already tepid, toast soggy. Ground pepper was then found and brought to the table by the man.

As I ate my eggs, I began to wonder - what has happened to this formerly cheery place.

The two staff comprised a woman constantly checking on the male waiter who was working the coffee machine and trying to 'wait' on table. It seemed as if he had been told not to make a single decision without first checking with the woman. The woman checked on his every move but never once said anything encouraging, or smiled, for instance!

The man waiting engaged in conversation with me about travelling and I felt was warmer and seemed to be trying to do a good job, whilst having his every move 'over-seen'.

The BBC came in to film, again met with no warmth, delight or uplifting welcome. It wasn't exactly a bad mood, just a distant coldness. The Producer had to ask, are you expecting us? A valid question given the mood. Yes was the response. I smiled and talked to the producer more than the staff. She has to ask for a coffee and for her camera man. Surely, anyone would welcome a pre-arranged film crew! Surely.

Eventually, I asked for the bill and queried the full cost of the full "egg+' plate, stating that I felt that when I asked for just eggs on toast, they had every right to say, No, just what's on the menu, or Yes, but it will be the price on the menu. But not to serve it up and then charge for things not ordered, cooked or eaten. My point was not acknowledged, but the bill was re-returned with £1-1.20 taken off. Well, there went their tip and the cake order I was going to take-out for colleagues in the office.

I asked if all the other ingredients were worth £1-1.20p? The women took no responsibility, in fact blamed the man, saying the service was his fault, he was new. I waived this away saying to her, Well it's your restaurant, you make the decisions. To which she replied:
"It's not my restaurant, I only work here" ... C L A S S I C

I don't come form a high service culture, but I always chose Orchard for it's 'nice' service culture.

I hope the 'owners' of Orchard read this. There were 3 tables and 2 take aways over 40 minutes! It is clear you have extended seats/covers, taking away the lovely, eye-catching (but non-income earning) window display. OR, is that the mis-judgment. However many seats you have, if the staff are dis-connected, it's a bad experience.

If my bill had reflected my lovely (could be hotter) crambled eggs on toast, I would have paid a tip (to thank them), and taken a cake order, so paying at least £15. Instead I paid £8.20 as I needed to get on my way, and have written this review.

I have no desire to go back to Orchard - what it was, has gone.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank reflectingpool
Berlin
“Lovely food and atmosphere”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We managed to dine at "Orchade" just before we had to fly back home. It was a nice ending to our short trip to london. The Broccoli pie was the best I had for a long time. Also the coffee was awesome. Too bad there were not much vegan possibilities.

• Visited November 2013