“A great history brilliantly retold”

London Premier Walking Tours
Ranked #120 of 716 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: London's most Exciting, Entertaining & Educational professionally guided walking tours and special events. Our Jack The Ripper Secret London tour tells the gruesome story of The Ripper from start to finish and also includes many bonus, fun and quirky items about the history and life and times of the part of London where the murders took place. The London Underground Treasure Hunt is a unique, fun and challenging event as you and your team try to outwit the devious Agent Orange on the underground network and find the holy grail! The winning teams receive great prizes of official London Underground merchandise. Our Kings, Queens, Politics & Power Tour takes you on a journey through 1000 years of history. We visit some of the world's major landmarks plus some of the mysterious back streets and locations that have played a part in London's rich and turbulent past. All tours include a free London souvenir for each walker, a microphone amplified expert tour commentary, a 50 to 100 picture accompanying picture guide and a sound effects machine. We look forward to giving you a great tour experience that will be one of the highlights of your visit to London.
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I went on the Jack the Ripper walk last Saturday evening. I had such a great time the guide was absolutely superb , full of energy and loads of information , he worked tirelessly just for £10 for each person!

I actually found the walk very touchy and be opened my consciousness to the poverty and plight of the poor and destitute living in Victorian London.

In terms of Jack the Ripper, I think it is important to remember that this person was a serial killer and that has got lost a bit within the legendary story. The guide helped me to remember that these women were horrifically savaged by this savage killer.

What was also enjoyable was the guides knowledge of the East end and so he was able to tell other history about the area outside of the serial killings. It is amazing how we walk the London streets forgetting the history that has been there before us.

All in all it was a fantastic evening and a great walk - one that will stay with me for many, many years to come. Bravo!

2  Thank james h

Reviewed 28 June 2014

A group of us did the Thursday evening underground tour and had a blast. Knowing you were competing against others made it more exciting and the adrenaline of making sure that you dodged 'Agent Orange'. We will certainly try another tour soon, now that we know what to expect. Great for a birthday adventure before heading out for drinks or dinner. Good way to get the night started.

1  Thank Matu1234
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I took part in the treasue hunt tour on 27th Feb and it was good, with the exception being that 'Agent Orange' didn't show up and so the tour over run. As part of that teams were given extra prizes (key rings etc...) and a free walking tour - fair enough. I booked onto the tour for this coming Wednesday afternoon at the start of March and all was fine, until it was just cancelled - damn - I lose 1/2 a days annual leave because of this. Here is the best bit - when I say back to the company that I'm disappointed as I have booked the time off and the reason for me going on the tour in the first place, i get back justifications on the treasure hunt and the option to rebook - fine except I've already booked my annual leave and there isn't much choice to change it to anyway, I go back and say I'll just leave it and I don't think that the service is great (telling people a few days before when you have known for longer etc...). THEN comes the e mail telling me I am harsh (i wasn't really) and I am 'urged not to leave feedback' and damage their business as my actions would be highly disproportionate!

I completely understand things go wrong (nothing really went wrong here - it just would not have made the company money to run the tour with too few people on it - plus my 'free ticket was not very expensive anyway as they point out to me!), but when a company practically emotionally blackmails me into not leaving feedback on my experiences as it will not be good I think there is really something wrong. Companies should look at feedback as a way of improving (tentatively book these or say at the time they will only be run if a certain number of people book on) not as worry that it is going to damage their business. Feedback should be beneficial to companies for improving (more so the negative feedback) so they can act or so at least other customers then know that booking a tour isn't securing it if enough people don't book it.

As a reviewer i'm not here to say a company is great if I don't think they acted that way. I don't think this is a bad company and I'm sure the tours, when run are great fun. The fact is, when you cancel my tour 5 days before because it isn't profitable for you then I'm not going to be very pleased and want to write a glowing review - 5 stars for a review where a tour is cancelled would just be odd!

1  Thank EnglandLondon
LPWT, Owner at London Premier Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

For readers of our response to the review please note that the reviewer is "reviewing" an event they took part in 4 months ago, The London Underground Treasure Hunt, and that they have not even come on our Kings, Queens, Politics & Power Tour. Also, the cancellation of the tour that the reviewer is refering to is for a tour which we gave them FREE of charge as a complimentary tour. This is why we believe it is unfair that the reviewer has gone to the lengths that they have to attempt to discredit our company and to criticise our customer services.
..............................................................................................................................................................
Thank you to the reviewer for your feedback but it is bordering on the malicious which is what we pointed out to you in our email to you after we had informed you, giving you a full 5 days notice, that we could not run our Kings, Queens, Politics & Power Tour this Wednesday because your group of 3 people were the only bookings on it,

We apologised for this and offered you the alternative of 3 other tours to go on this Wednesday that were later in the day. We also offered you the chance to book on any other tour for free at any time this year should the alternative tours this coming Wednesday not be suitable for you.

Your responses were very angry and you basically told us to "stick it" and then you proceeded to threaten to leave negative feedback about our company, presumably so that we would cave into your threats and run a private tour for you. Employing a tour guide for the day to take only 3 people on a tour would be a big loss for us which as a small business we cannot afford, so it is not about making a profit as you stated, but about avoiding a loss. In addition, the 3 tickets you have were given to you by us for FREE, you have not spent any money on them.

In a small business such as walking tours one sometimes has to cancel a scheduled tour due to lack of bookings, it is very rare but it can happen. We do not like to do so and we were considerate by giving you 5 days notice of the cancellation.

We have occasionally run some tours for very small groups of 2 or 3 people but this is where we have had tours where more people booked but have not showed up.

As we explained in our email to you, we waited a little while to see if more bookings came in, but they didn't. We also pointed out that very often customers book tours with us and give us notice of only 24 hours that they are cancelling and we are always very helpful to them by letting them reschedule to another date completely free of charge so we were hoping that you might be able to see both sides of the coin on the basis that we gave you 5 times this amount of notice,

We feel that we have been very fair by offering you alternative tours and dates but it seems that the 1/2 day that you have booked off work which you have said you cannot possibly reverse is the cause of your anger and negativity towards us.

As you said yourself the Treasure Hunt was good. You are correct that our Agent Orange did not show up. Agent Orange is one component of many in The Treasure Hunt and Treasure Hunters that day were still wary of Agent Orange's presence because we did not inform them that Agent Orange had called in sick (giving us only 2 hours notice) until the end of The Treasure Hunt so this meant that teams still approached the event as if they were being followed and spied upon.

However, us wanting to be totally honest, we did inform Treasure Hunters and explained that we called our other Agents but that we could not find a replacement at short notice. We do not recall the hunt over running and if it did by a few minutes it would have been because as a sorry for the absence of Agent Orange we awarded every single team a bonus prize of official London Underground merchandise. The absence of Agent Orange perhaps diminished the excitement and enjoyment of the event by 10%, but even you as someone who spent half of yesterday emailing us and threatening negative feedback have said that the Treasure Hunt was "good".

The following day the company here had a meeting and decided to start employing two Agent Oranges per Treasure Hunt so that should the situation ever arise again where an Agent Orange called in sick we would still have a second Agent Orange. As it happens, since February this hasn't happened so we have had two Agent Oranges on each and every Treasure Hunt making the event even better still and you can see how much people like it by the many good reviews we have received for it on this Trip Advisor page.

The following day we emailed all 20 teams that took part in the Treasure Hunt and offered free walking tour tickets, tickets that usually cost £10 each, so for the reviewer here this is £30 worth of tickets and is in addition to the extra prizes that we gave on the night which were worth about £4. Also the reviewer had bought their Treasure Hunt tickets at a discounted rate from a promotion we were running at the time and had paid £19 in total for the three tickets.

We believe therefore that all of these things we gave as extras for free show our commitment to offering great customer service so that when very occasionally a small thing goes wrong we are very kind and fair about it.

Most of the teams took us up on our generous offer of free walking tour tickets and have since come on a walking tour and greatly enjoyed it.

Of course we are not overjoyed that we have had to cancel a tour that we have booked a customer on to and we did our very best to please the customer by offering 3 alternative tours on that day or a recsheduling at any time during 2014. The response from the customer was to basically "throw the toys out of the pram", and to write a "review" 4 months after the actual event that they DID come on. From the third to the 6th email that they sent us they also dropped the courtesy of "Dear,,,,," at the beginning of the emails and the normal courtesies one uses such as "Kind regards" or "Yours sincerely" at the end of their emails.

We reamained polite and professional in our responses and we did point out on about the 10th email that we felt that it would be disproportionate for them in our opinion to post a negative review about an event which was good, purely because 4 months later we have had to cancel with 5 days notice a different tour which we gave them for free.

We of course welcome all feedback regarding our tours and events but we believe that this particular review is unfair and in effect is trying to punish us for going theextra mile in awarding extra prizes and a free walking tour.

Yours sincerely.,

London Premier Walking Tours

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I did the KIngs Queens and Politics tour on 28th May 2014. We were both very impressed with the tour guide Cliff who had an amazing amount of knowledge which made the tour very interesting and he made everyone feel welcome by including them and he was also amusing and entertaining!

1  Thank CAROL L
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had such a fun, brilliant evening yesterday doing the London Underground Treasure Hunt (it was one of my partner's little extra Christmas presents from me in 2013). We were a team of 2 (Double D's) and came 7/29, probably the oldest people there and even managed to triumph over our final tube train back to base being taken out of service 20 minutes before the time deadline and so needing to find a new route back (have to say the dash up the left hand side of the escalator at Green Park nearly KILLED me!). The master of the Hunt said all of the score data was the highest in 18 months of running the tour - highest losing team, highest top 10, top 5 and the top 2 scores where the first over 600 in the entire run of the game!
TIP: park nearest railway station and buy a cheap day travel ticket that includes unlimited tube travel on Zone 1 - WAY WAY cheaper than using your oyster

2  Thank Neese12