“Best gateaux in London - forget Valerie's”

The Counter at The Delaunay
Ranked #1,838 of 23,379 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I found this by chance, because the decor was so old-school, I thought of going in. It had an air of superiority and stuffiness so I hesitated but I managed to find a window seat. I was there to treat myself for a cake and they looked quite good.
I have never had such a good cake in London esp since Valerie got cash from somewhere and started branching outside S.Ken. Black Forest cakes are normally quite bad in London but this place was unbelievable. If you haven't been, try once at least. Friendly service, too, I thought.
Negatives - the tables are very close to each other, which I normally hate but I had next table empty the whole time. There is only ONE toilet for both men and women! I saw a few non-customers who'd pop in there, which was unpleasant as I had to wait a while. The cakes are dear. Mine was £4.50, which is a lot more than anywhere in town...with coffee and tip, it came to £9, which is way more than the lunch I normally buy! Despite, I'd come again just to try more cakes.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I needed to kill some time and my feet were killing me so I popped in here for a cup of coffee. I fancied a bacon roll but these are only served at breakfast time. I opted for the walnut strudel and was given the option of having it hot or cold. Service is speedy and the atmosphere is very convivial. Nobody bothered me or hovered around after I had finished and I was allowed to read my book in peace. I decided to try a hot dog and asked for the sauerkraut on the side - it was delicious and finished all too quickly. This is a nice place to spend some time, whether with friends or on your own. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Well, I have never actually been to an "old-fashioned Viennese station cafe", but this resembles those I have read about - and wished I had been around to visit, in the late 1800's...It has the look, anyway - well, the person who selected the wallpaper should be shot, but otherwise it's lovely - and the service is speedy enough to qualify. The service was the only drawback, here - the staff was busy planning their New Year's activities, and were all obviously wishing they could be anywhere but at work. That was very noticeable, and I thought it was a shame. Things straightened out, though, when the Manager wandered through.

I stopped in for an afternoon pick-me up, a couple of times during my stay at a nearby hotel. I was not crazy about the coffee (but I'm picky), though I really enjoyed the pastries - I had mini pain au chocolat but there are other miniatures available, so you can enjoy a couple of different little things, without overindulging in too many calories at once. I brought home a couple of little bags of delicious fresh cookies, and frankly lusted after the doberge and black forest cakes...but my belt was already too tight, so I was virtuous - but sad.

There is a large bathroom, easily accessible (no stairs, for once!) - it reminded me of a treatment room in a Swiss spa I went to, once. All white tile, and enough shiny chrome to keep an army of plumbers happy - all this, though, for only one toilet...

The Counter, like it's parent restaurant next door, is not inexpensive, but it is like a time-warp, and a very pleasant little place to spend an hour, especially if the weather is acting up. There are also soups, mains, beer and wine available, though I didn't see any of it in action, so to speak.
If you are not up for the full-on onslaught of the Delaunay, you would probably be quite happy at The Counter.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We went in looking for a quick hot snack before a matinee show. So the obvious choice was to try the "famous" hot dogs. So for £4.50 each, we had a hot dog sausage on a cold bun with onions and ketchup/mustard. They were pretty ordinary, and not worth it. The hot chocolate/coffee was nice though. We didn't have time to try the cakes which looked nice. Next time we will stick to coffee and cakes!

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Went here for breakfast. The Bircher Muesli and tea are not to be missed. Truly a pleasant place to hang out.