“A lovely place for coffee and a snack.”

The Counter at The Delaunay
Ranked #2,210 of 23,697 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Quaint and atmospheric with delicious coffee, pastries and snacks. The service was also very good on our 2 visits. My only complaint was that the quiche was not available "for a week" we were told despite being on the menu.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Love coming here for a nice afternoon tea and a cheeky cake. My husband loves the chocolate muffin & I love the vanilla cheesecake! Absolutely delish!! Such a lovely place to sit and relax. The hot chocolate is also super delish too! Previously we had to order at the counter whereas now we can order from the waiters if we're dining in of course. Great place

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Had a light lunch here before visiting the Aldwych Theatre, almost next door. I loved the dark panelled look and the lovely waiter. I had chicken soup followed by a prune and almanac tart which were both delicious and my husband had the sausage plate with sauerkraut and potato sald, followed by the sachertorte. All washed down with a glass of Prosecco. I couldn't have enjoyed it more. We were there early, soon after twelve, but by 1pm it was very busy.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I found this by chance, because the decor was so old-school, I thought of going in. It had an air of superiority and stuffiness so I hesitated but I managed to find a window seat. I was there to treat myself for a cake and they looked quite good.
I have never had such a good cake in London esp since Valerie got cash from somewhere and started branching outside S.Ken. Black Forest cakes are normally quite bad in London but this place was unbelievable. If you haven't been, try once at least. Friendly service, too, I thought.
Negatives - the tables are very close to each other, which I normally hate but I had next table empty the whole time. There is only ONE toilet for both men and women! I saw a few non-customers who'd pop in there, which was unpleasant as I had to wait a while. The cakes are dear. Mine was £4.50, which is a lot more than anywhere in town...with coffee and tip, it came to £9, which is way more than the lunch I normally buy! Despite, I'd come again just to try more cakes.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I needed to kill some time and my feet were killing me so I popped in here for a cup of coffee. I fancied a bacon roll but these are only served at breakfast time. I opted for the walnut strudel and was given the option of having it hot or cold. Service is speedy and the atmosphere is very convivial. Nobody bothered me or hovered around after I had finished and I was allowed to read my book in peace. I decided to try a hot dog and asked for the sauerkraut on the side - it was delicious and finished all too quickly. This is a nice place to spend some time, whether with friends or on your own. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed.