“Another excellent dining experience”
Review of Garnier - CLOSED

Garnier
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We've eaten here 6+ times since this place opened, went last night for dinner and had a very enjoyable meal (scallops and scrambled egg/truffles to start, steak and braised beef for mains, nice cheese board to end). The food is really good, prepared by a chef who knows what they're doing, and the changing specials are interesting and enjoyable.

Good wine list without the crazy prices of some other places, and the staff are well trained, observant, and deliver excellent, friendly service. I think it's the best fine dining restaurant in the immediate Earls Court area, and we've never been disappointed. Definitely recommend it for a good meal.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

Garnier is a French bistro located on Earl's Court Road near the intersection with Old Brompton Road. My first dinner visit was so enticing, I took a critical friend there for lunch. This is a much needed addition to the SW5 area. Owned and operated by "Didier, Eric and Yves," these are the same people who gave us Racine in Knightsbridge some years ago. The décor is simple, neat, with a well lit clean look, the staff amiable and well-trained, and the food is excellent. The menu is unusual, e.g., beef brains to start, and they smoke their own salmon. I started with a home made gnocchi with a butternut squash sauce and roasted pistachios with just a hint of sage, followed by fois-de-veau with boiled potatoes, carrots and a mix of green vegetables. My companion had their duck fois gras followed by roasted cod. Everything was cooked to perfection, but what pleased me most was there was no attempt to disguise the food as an art form, if you know what I mean. For a cocktail I had their recommended rose champagne which was exceptional. And with lunch, a glass of pinot noir burgundy. I declined the dessert but only because it's Lent! Highly recommended, and I shall return again and again.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is a great place for no nonsense french food. The wine list is also very good at reasonable prices. I would say not a place to go for Traditional Sunday lunch as it is a french restaurant! Staff are very friendly and its a younger crowd than the sister restaurant Colombier in Chelsea Square.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

The Garnier isn't fancy from the outside but came highly recommended by a friend so I gave it a try. I was first in at 7:00 PM which caused a little pause - was it going to be good. The service was attentive and the recommendation for the scallops was spot on - they were a great meal, very filling with the small portion. Bill came and there was a 12.5% "discretionary" service tip automatically added. Even in the US where I always tip, a pre-added tip is only common with large groups...and I was on my own! I was flabbergasted but went ahead and paid it. Garnier will not be my first choice for a repeat visit nor as a recommendation. It's a shame - being American, I would have tipped on my own and been happy!!

1  Thank Golden344
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We Went there shortly after its summer opening for my father's birthday. We had a wonderful meal.

We sampled the smoked salmon with some champagne. They smoke their salmon and its succulent.

I opted for the set menu. I started with the gnocchi with pecorino cheese with tomato confit. The dish was a real treat. The small potato dumplings were cooked to perfection light, soft and fluffly. There was a great balance between the saltiness of the pecorino and sweetness of the tomatoes.
For my main course I had the bavette with glazed carrots and potatoes. The meat was beautifully cooked and was very tender. You can tell they use high quality ingredients. I finished off with the crême brûlée, which was good.

The men shared the à la carte côte de boeuf with fries, carrots and green beans. I had a taste of the meat and it was delicious.They had a bottle of Colombiers de Château Brown (Pessac Léognac) and apparently is was the best value for money! So overall we were all very pleased.

My in-laws, on a trip to London in September, had dinner at Garnier.They got to speak French with the maitre D and felt right at home. They very much enjoyed their dining experience.

3  Thank Alexandra A