“Shared toilet? Come on, it's 2013!”

Grange Lancaster Hotel
Ranked #655 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I was in London for a week on a training course, and a colleague booked me into this hotel. I'd actually stayed in the Clarendon (same group and directly over the road) once before, and that was pretty good - though I was a little intrigued to see that my room was a "semi en-suite" - meaning that you got your own shower but you had to trot down the corridor to the shared toilet.

The staff were very helpful and the room was actually pretty nice. The view was good, and although there was no air-con I didn't really care because it had that most wonderful of gadgets: a sash window that opens really wide so you can get some proper fresh air in.

The TV and kettle worked fine, and the WiFi Internet access (which was included) was snappy and fast except for one short spell when it didn't want to play. On a couple of mornings the maid kindly folded my various shirts and whatnot that I'd left a bit randomly around the place after "unpacking" man-style. The shower was also pretty good - given that it was a third-floor room there was plenty of pressure and loads of stonkingly hot water.

The only criticisms are the lack of a lift (serves me right for being a bit unfit, I suppose) and the shared toilet. In this century it's a little odd having to get up, get dressed and wander down the corridor to the loo in the middle of the night. And it didn't help that the first time I used it, the handle of the mixer tap on the washbasin came off in my hand and landed in the basin with a clatter! If the price had been a bit lower I'd be less peeved (the Sunday night was only 60 quid, but the remainder averaged over 100 quid, which is unreasonable). Oh, and breakfast was rather steep so I didn't bother (there are plenty of places in the area to have something to eat in the morning anyway, so it's no big deal).

In short, then: decent location, nice rooms, helpful staff, but overly pricey for a place where you don't even get your own loo.

Room Tip: The "superior" rooms are properly en-suite. The "semi en-suite" ones aren't...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank David C

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Had an absolutely fantastic stay at the Lancaster Hotel, all the staff members, from concierge/reception desk to cleaning staff, were incredibly helpful and welcoming, all smiles. Nothing was too much bother. The staff at the Island bar were also incredibly efficient and friendly.

Rooms were immaculate, clean, loved having bottled water in room on arrival, fantastic after a flight and train trip in. Brilliant Location too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This isn't a Hilton, it's not even a Holiday Inn. But if you are looking for something above a shared hostel, this is right up your alley. There is a bed and shower in the room and multiple (single stall) bathrooms shared on the floor. There isn't a great deal of space, but you are in central London, why do you need it. For this price, it meets the needs of a simple stay. We saw a lot of folks with backpacks staying here, but we also stayed on business. No frills, but none needed. The wifi worked well and the staff was friendly. Very close to British Museum and close to tube stops.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 10dayloop
Reviewed 23 May 2013

If the expression "budget hotel, Russell Square area" fills you with dread prepare for a pleasant surprise. The Lancaster is one of five 'sister hotels' in Bedford Place and at an average of £86 per night is great value for money. We upgraded and were given a huge suite overlooking the garden. Loads of wardrobe / drawer space, new TV, good desk, sofa, nice art on the walls and a brand new bathroom. Staff was friendly and helpful at all times.

Bedford Place is a quiet location and you can walk to the British Museum, the West End or Covent Garden in minutes. Russell Square tube is a 5 minute walk and the Piccadilly line will get you to South Kensington or Knightsbridge direct. Good pubs and restaurants are within an easy walk.

Having stayed in some grim budget hotels between Russell Square and Kings Cross we found the Lancaster to be a breath of fresh air. We'll be back.

Room Tip: It is worth paying a few quid extra to upgrade to a large room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pauleaston
Reviewed 5 May 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Heleen B
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The hotel is on a street of Edwardian houses that appear to all have been
converted into hotels. You have to ring a bell to get in and they open
the door without verbally checking who you are so I don't really see the
point.

The decor is fine, in the reception area there are comfy sofas and a desk
with a computor for anyone to use, although they do charge.

My room turned out to be in the basement. I have had major knee surgery
and although stairs are not normally an issue the stairs to the basement
were and I really struggled with the difficult narrow stairs
to get down there, especially when carrying luggage. They do ask, when
you book in, if you need a hand with your luggage but that's before you
see the challenge of the stairs. I suppose I could have gone back to ask
for help but as I only had minimal luggage I didn't and very much
regretted it afterwards. They should warn you!

I was initially so dissapointed with my room. Being in the basement it
was so dark, I dumped my bags and went for a walk. When I got back
it didn't seem so bad but I would never have knowingly chosen a basement
room and, again, it would have been nice for the hotel to flag this when
booking. So beware when your booking to ask where your room is.

Once I become accustomed to the darkness the room itself was very nice,
it was in good decorative order, very clean and roomy with plenty of
storage. There weren't enough power points but that's usual with hotel
rooms. There was lots of mirrors which is unusal but very helpful.
The bathroom was large with shower over bath and actually had a
bath mat! This I find to be a rare event in hotels of any kind but a
must on safety. There were the usual helpful items like shampoo etc.
but here there was a hairband which I found very very helpful and not
seen anywhere else. Whoever thought of that, on their staff, should be
applauded. It's the kind of thing I always forget to pack.

The tea/coffee facilities in the room were very good. You usually only
get a few saches of tea and coffee and a few pots of milk that are never
enough for your stay, however short. But here there were plenty.

The bed was quite comfy and I had a reasonable nights sleep.

WiFi was available in your room if you asked for the code from the staff on reception.
But I couldn't get it to work, it could have been because I was in the
basement but as I was staying there for work it was extremely inconvieniant
that I couldn't get it to work.

Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel BUT make sure your not in the basement!!

Room Tip: Basement rooms are dark and you can't get a wifi connection
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank gas700girl
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The furnishings are bare and smelly. The walls are thin, I could hear my neighbour's bathroom bodily functions. The reception staff need a serious course on hospitality, they are rude and unhelpful. Would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business