“Works for me!”

Ranked #114 of 575 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Works for me!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Ok so it's not perfect but for the money, location and availability at last minute it did a job (on a couple of occasions) and I will go back!

It's clean, surprisingly quiet for its location and has great facilities. Even if the sink in the room is a tad odd!

Wifi worked fine and had a good night sleep on both occasions.

The cons are it did have a curry smell in reception and the hallways, but not the room mind, and the sleeping reception dude/guard looked befuddled when I left early one of the mornings - 630am ish, hardly middle of the night stuff.

That all said it was fine and a definite cut above local travelodge's I've unfortunately frequented.

Nice little gem. Works for me!

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Graeme M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Stone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

A lovely boutique hotel. Well appointed rooms decorated to a high standard to maximise the space. Good quality fixtures and furnishings. mini bar and toiletries. Staff very helpful and gave good advice on local restaurants and quickest route to the nearest tube station.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SandraBPVC
Sejling, Arhus, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Great stay in London. This hotel was just what I needed and I paid for. Rooms are small, but we only slept and stored luggage – so there wasn’t a problem there. I don’t like paying for huge rooms, with all the bells and whistles when I don’t need or use them. Free Wifi, and easy to connect, better then most hotels, I’ve been in.
Great location, 5 minute walk to the underground or bus service. Coffee shops and restaurants very close by; also a tesco within walking distance.
All in all a great friendly hotel located just far enough from London center to be inexpensive and close enough to convenient.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Coda66
milano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Very nice Hotel and confortable rooms, good position in walking distance to the tube station and whitechapel gallery, in a safe district with a good price and very helpful staff. Certainly I'd like to come back. To recommend. Luciano

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank luciano t
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Although hard to locate (even by veteran London black cab driver with GPS) this hotel served well for an overnight stay in London before heading out of town at nearby Liverpool Street train station. The rooms are a bit small but I gladly sacrificed the sq. footage for the modern, comfortable decor The Whitechapel offers. The front desk service was very pleasant and efficient. I'd stay here again if my travel plans called for an East London stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mimicry
Winterthur, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in the whitechapel hotel. The area is quiet, located in a very islamic area, this was not disturbing for us, but no chance to have a drink in the hotel, also no chanve for bacon at the breakfast. The rooms are very little, but with a nice atmosphere. Beds are small, but very clean and comfortable. Tv, minibar, free wlan included. The rooms and hotel are very clean. The hotel personal was friendly, but somehow also very distant. We booked with extra sahara breakfast which cost extra 8.95 pounds each, but in the end we found out that 2 slices of medium warm toastbread was charged extra with 2 pounds each, also 1 croissant was charged with 3 pounds extra each! They gave us during the out-checking a big invoice that we should pay. So we went into a big discussion with the hotel and the restaurant manager and that felt very un-compliant for us. In the end they let us go without paying all they wanted first, but we really felt bothered. Everytime at breakfasttime the front door was always still wide open and very cold inside and the cleaning personal was using the hoover/vacuum cleaner beside where people wanted to eat peacefully. Bad timing! Also to mention that one night there was a terrible fight above in the penthouse suit starting 1 o'clock in the night. At 4 o'clock the situation was extremely escalating, we heard many people screaming, also girls screaming, then the sounds of heavy fighting, people running in the hotel, in the stairs...so we were all awake and i went outside the room to check the situation. I called the elevator, it came up and rang before opening, the doors open...i was really shocked to see that the whole elevator was allover covered with fresh blood everywhere as somebody was slaughtered in there. It was a nighmare. I called the receptionist, he told me to stay in the room and they have everything under control...police came, many persons went out of the hotel before...really nothing for a family holidays...next morning we saw many blood drops at the entrance, the stairs, at the elevator pushbutton...the told us that somebody had "an accident"...i think that a proper information to the guest has been more intelligent...things like that can happen but will not motivate the customer to come back again...so afterall: a very ambivalent experience, even when it was nice somehow i don't think that we would go to the whitechapel hotel again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank fhunkeler
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We booked two rooms for my husband and myself and my teenage daughter and her friend. We chose the area because it is near where my older daughter lives (near Brick Lane).

The hotel is very new, only a year old and it is beautifully fitted out and so clean and fresh. We arrived and left our bags as our rooms weren't ready and when we came back they had upgraded us to the Penthouse Suite ( for myself and my husband) and the teenagers had their twin room as planned.

The penthouse was fantastic - it is the whole of the top floor of the hotel. It has a large openplan lounge, kitchen ( with washing machine, cooker, fridge, freezer) and dining room and two double bedrooms separated by a sliding wall. The hotel team were so friendly and they didn't know but it was our wedding anniversary and my daughters birthday and they made our weekend with their kindness.

The twin room was also good. Plenty of room and nicely laid out.

The breakfast was really good value - 4 of us ate a full breakfast ( pancakes, smoothies, coffee) for £25 - in most london hotels you couldn't get one breakfast for that price.

I also think its worth mentioning that this is a Muslim run hotel and all the food is halal (so no bacon for breakfast but there are sausages), there is also no alcohol served. This didn't bother me at all but I mention it because I have several Muslim friends who would love this hotel, being albe to relax and eat whatever they wanted.

Some of the reviews have referred to the hotel as being in a rough area, it is actually fine - not rough at all. We walked back to the hotel from the tube station at about midnight and it didn't feel threatening at all, very quiet in fact and no drunks in the street as ther are no pubs in the area.

The road outside the hotel is very quiet at night and so the rooms are quiet as well.

Can't recommend it enough. thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family