“Good Hotel but Lousy Beds”

Premier Inn London Blackfriars (Fleet Street) Hotel
Ranked #148 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The location is very convenient to many attractions and business districts. Only a 5-minute walk from the Underground station, but a bit tricky to find the first time. As is typical for Premier Inn, the check-in and check-out process are very quick and easy if everything is "standard", since they use self-check terminals like in an airport. That can be great or lousy, depending on whether someone is always ready and able to help with any hiccups. The room size was great with plenty of sensibly located power outlets, and I had no complaints about the furnishings other than the bed. It was horribly uncomfortable with springs constantly poking into my back, making for a very miserable couple of nights with little sleep. The breakfast was excellent and the price (extra) was quite fair by London hotel standards. My only other major complaint was the wireless, which costs extra for each day and is really lousy, especially since it will only connect to one device. Not one at a time (a phone and a PC, for example), but only one. If your phone automatically connects because you used it the day before, then you're out of luck for using your computer unless you want to pay an additional fee to connect it. That's inexcusable in this day and age. Free wireless should be a given, not a low-fare airline approach to bait and switch with a low room price and making you pay extra for things that don't cost the hotel much at all to provide. Though I stay in London very frequently, I'm unlikely to return to this hotel due to the beds and the wireless.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ExilAmi
fazalshaik, Duty Manager at Premier Inn London Blackfriars (Fleet Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent visit. Your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations. However I am concerned to read the comments about the bed. We usually get great feedback regarding our beds but clearly on this occasion it was not the case our beds are manufactured by Hypnos who are renowned for their quality and comfort we will definitely investigate regarding this matter Kindly email me all the details at osmgr.londonblackfriars@whitbread.com and I will call you immediately to resolve your complaint. Thank you once again for the review and I look forward to hearing from you.

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn London Blackfriars (Fleet Street) Hotel

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very convenient Blackfriers underground station just a short walk away. Within walking distance of St Paul's cathedral and millennium bridge.
The staff were friendly and the rooms clean and comfortable and up to premier inn usual good standard. Our room was at the end of the corridor so from a noise perspective it was quiet. However the room was the smallest on the corridor and would have been better suited as a single room rather than double. I have used premier inn for many years and this was the smallest I have had. The room was air conditioned and as we were there during a hot spell, this was most welcome.
Despite the size of the room, I would use this hotel again for its convenience to the sites and recommend it to anyone looking for a good clean budget hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for mid corridor rooms, they are much larger.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

13 of us stayed here on Wednesday night, as it was close to The Mermaid Theatre, where we were holding an exhibition. The cost of the room for the night ranged from £150-£185, depending on when we had booked. However, it's an extortionate price for a bed for the night! I know it's London, but this is a Premier Inn, and I checked the cost of the Crowne Plaza for the same night on Trivago, and it was only £10 more, but included breakfast and WiFi, plus toiletries etc.. A much nicer hotel as well! For the average of £160 per night, we got a room. In the room was 2 sachets of coffee, 4 milk things, 4 sugars and 2 tea bags. The toiletries were pumps for hand wash and shower gel, and the shower gel one in my room was open and empty (just as well I'd taken my own!). As another reviewer mentioned, there are no coat hangers and it's just a bunch of wood on the wall.
I'm not a snob, I stay regularly at Premier Inns when I'm away with work, and I love the breakfasts (at £10 extra), but I would have expected a snobbish type of hotel for this price! The whole point of a Premier Inn is that it's no frills, cheap accommodation, but this is taking the mick!
The room didn't have opening windows, "for the safety of our guests" as a label stuck to the window said. Having windows that open a couple of inches, like other PI's, would have been better (and no-one can fall/jump from a window that opens a couple of inches!!). I wear continuous wear contact lenses and my eyes dry out with aircon, so I had to switch it off. Great considering it was in the mid-high 20's outside! And in the lobby the heating was actually blowing HOT!
Also, on the 3rd floor, there was a screaching alarm sound that periodically went off. It happened at various points in the corridor, so wasn't a specific room/door alarm... Trying to get to sleep at 10:30pm for a 5am start the next morning, involved putting one of the pillows over my ears to shut it out! I tried to speak to someone about it, but couldn't find anyone in reception and needed to go to bed!
It was adequate, it was a standard Premier Inn, but I won't be staying at one in London again, as it's as expensive as a Crowne Plaza or Radisson, where you get a better and friendlier service as well!
I have completed the survey sent to me by PI this morning, and given them the same feedback.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed over for one night on a business trip, hotel was great, clean & quiet room & very friendly & helpful staff. Choose the meal deal which was great, food was fresh & tasty! Only a short walk to the river & St Paul's. Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Other than the lack of room service and extras you would find it difficult to tell the difference between this hotel and many nearby upmarket places. In fact having stayed in a few of those also I would happily choose this hotel again. It may be less Grand and Stylish. But it does it's job very well and being newly open means decor is neither tired or tatty as can be said of some neighbouring big Brand hotels and many other budget hotels. On site restaurant is of acceptable quality for a quick bite. But you might want to go elsewhere if you are looking for value for money on a budget or looking to spend out on a really good dining experience. On-site breakfast was very good though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel was conveniently close to Blackfriars underground station. We prebooked and checked in on-line. The staff were extremely helpful and welcoming. They also let us store our luggage on the day we left so we could do more sightseeing. Our room was clean and comfortable with free coffee and tea every day. The buffet breakfast was hassle free and the food was hot and tasty...and no queueing.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Just needed a decent value Premier Inn convenient for Fleet Street, Aldwych and Theatreland. Perfect for what I wanted. Very comfortable beds, bar area with footie on big screen, easy online check in. Only one minor gripe lack of shower mat, very slippery! Couldn't be bothered to ask for one, only there for one night, and everything else spot on.

1  Thank NasherRoyston_Herts