“Nice food but not much of it and very expensive”
Review of The Begging Bowl

The Begging Bowl
Ranked #4,382 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Nice food but not much of it and very expensive”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The food was tasty and varied with good veggie options for one of our party of three, But we had seven dishes and that really wasn't sufficient, despite coming in at the best part of £90 (we had one bottle of house red). Not good enough really. I don't think you should go home hungry at £30 a head. But as I say, what we did have was nice and the staff were friendly enough.

1 Thank Nik S

London, United Kingdom
“Good food, but overpriced”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Visited the begging bowl with two friends for dinner on a Tuesday evening. The restaurant was quiet so we didn't have to wait for a table, and the staff were friendly, welcoming and attentive throughout.

We ordered a bottle of the house red wine which was good and reasonably priced at £17.

The food, although all very flavoursome and tasty, was overpriced. The taster menu recommends that three people share 7/8 dishes so we opted for 7. The red curry with beef shin (£12) had only 3 small pieces of beef in it, for example. The unlimited rice for £1 per head counteracts the cost of the main courses to some degree, but the portion sizes served up were so tiny we found ourselves asking for more rice approximately 5 times!

Although the overall dining experience was a good one, the price tag means it's somewhere I wot frequent often.

1 bottle of wine, 7 dishes, no dessert = no change from £90 and I'm afraid to say I went home and still had room for a couple of late night crumpets.

3 Thank FrancesBonikowski
“Could be much better”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I'd heard good things about this place but unfortunately my experience wasn't so great. As with other reviews here, we felt that the menu is confusing and many items are overpriced. It'd be clearer if the different priced items were in separate sections of the menu (rather than one long colour coded list) with clearer info about the size of the dish.

The idea of Thai style tapas is interesting but some dishes aren't suited to sharing. We had a dish (cost £12) with only one big prawn, one peeled it's not ideal to share between three.

The staff were friendly but had a few glitches such as running out of rice for a while and spilling a drink on one of our group with no offer of a discount or a freebie to compensate for the spillage.

The food was delicious though. Just need to adjust prices, portion size and improve service to be on the same level as the food.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank LondonLassE1
London, United Kingdom
“Good food but some dishes over priced!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had a meal here on Fri evening with a couple of friends. We ordered a variety of vegetarian, meat and fish dishes. I didn't try the meat dishes but the vegetarian dishes - a salad, tofu and the curry were delicious. The fish cakes were also tasty. However, the Banana dish with a single (over cooked) king prawn was average and for any restaurant to charge over £10 for a small dish with salad and one king prawn is ridiculous.

Overall I would recommend the vegetarian options only.

“Great authentic food”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My boyfriend took me for dinner as he's been to Thailand a few times and loves Thai food. I was a bit skeptical at first as I read the bad reviews here but went for it because of him.
We absolutely loved the food and enjoyed the whole experience.
The only two things I would criticize is that they don't have the chopsticks and that they ran out of the 10% vouchers for Montpelier as advertised on the website (you get a discount in a local pub while waiting for the table).
We ordered 5 dishes as recommended on the menu but couldn't finish it so I'd suggest you go for 3-4 dishes and a side or two of rice and you'll be full.
Amazing experience, our favourite dishes were suckling pig and asparagus.