“A Bit Too Hip”

Ranked #38 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“A Bit Too Hip”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

First stay at the newly opened hotel was good, but I'm not convinced that it's a great option for business travel. Lighting in the room was the best for any hotel in the city that I've experienced. Desk chair was practically unusable though for doing any work. The ground level is a wrap around lobby, bar, and restaurant. However, given the continuous music and swarm of people, it's hard to use it for doing any business. I expect that the currently low rates will increase as the hotel gains a reputation, making it a questionable spot for future trips.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bbwn82
Sarah B, Director of Sales at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to feed back on your stay at South Place. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please don't hesitate to ask - whether its an alternative desk chair or a quiet spot to work. Our Residents Lounge (aka Le Chiffre) on Floor 1 is plush, with free wifi and food and drink service.

Sarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
New York
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Although my room had no views whatsoever, the hotel itself is spotless and has a really modern feel. Service is wonderful and the staff really bends over backwards for you. Some of the technology in the room (the switches for the lights) are a little difficult to figure out. I would definitely stay here again for business.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on South Place Hotel. We hope that you do decide to return to us the next time you're staying in London, and if there is any further frustration with technology or other ways we can make your stay more comfortable, please don't hesitate to ask.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 28 January 2013

It was our second stay at the hotel and I'm sure it will be our choice again next time.
We love it for so many reasons. It has got an excellent location,we walked only 3 minutes from Liverpool train station and it's a few minutes bus ride to the center. The staff is very nice and helpful, our favourite is Zsolt concierge who helped us to find the best skybar in the area.
I love the comfortable king size bed (it's amazingly comfortable )and the huge mirror next to it. :) With the help of the touch-pannels you can make total darkness in the room,what we like to have specially in the morning .
The bathroom is clean, beautiful and well-equipped. The lounge and bar is very stylish and it has a very friendly atmosphere. We also had a delicious breakfast in the restaurant.

Don't hesitate! You 'll love every details of it.

Adrienne @ Andrew

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Delighted to read that this was your second stay with us, and that you're familiar with our fantastic transport links and the attractions in our neighbourhood (thanks to Zsolt!).

We hope you continue to return to South Place and that each time you notice new surprises to keep you coming back.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 23 January 2013

What an excellent Hotel: Been there for three nights and didn't regret it. Very comfortable and stylish rooms. Excellent tech equipment, decent internet speed, beautiful bathroom, comfy bed. The Gym is also very well equipped, Sauna beautiful and clean (tho I didn't like the gender segregation). The Bar is stylish, service fast and efficient. Friendly and competent staff all along. Great location with very short walking distance to Moorgate and Liverpool street stations.

Little minus for the expensive (yet wonderfully stocked) minibar and the touch-pannels which weren't always responsive enough (though I like the idea very much).

I have tried a few hotels of the same price range and I must say that I like the south place best, since it is the only one that really offers the perfect synergy of location, design, cleanliness and service.

In short, a great hotel offering you a warm and stylish haven in busy London. I would and will definitely go back next time I'm in London, be it business or pleasure. Keep up the good service!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Sarah B, Director of Sales at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
It's really nice to hear you had such a wonderful stay at South Place. Thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to enjoy your company again very soon.

Many thanks for giving us a try!

Hong Kong
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I chose this hotel because it was close to my London office where I was going for business meetings. It is also very close to both Liverpool Street and Moorgate tube stations and close to a large marks and spencers and other shops.

Upon arrival (approx 8am) there was no room ready for me to check in yet (given that check in time is at 2). However, the staff were great it getting me to their spa facilities asap so that I could at least take a shower after my long haul flight and get ready for my meetings. Then as soon as a room was ready, they swiftly cleaned and gave me the room (around 9am).

The decor of the hotel is very sleek and stylish, the rooms have high functionality and the beds are incredible comfortable. Given that the hotel is in the city of London, I was pleasantly surprised that it has a lot of character rather than just operating as a functional hotel for business travellers. The service was impeccable and I noticed that in the evening, the bar/restaurant area had a great buzz. I think the only thing I could ask for is if the room service portions could be larger for the price they charged (but then again, I do have a big appetite!).

Overall, I would visit this hotel again if I had a business trip to London as, whilst it provides all the business amenities (e.g. wifi, work space etc), it certainly has a more fun/funky feel to it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you Jaimie for your positive feedback. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and would be fond of returning with us if you return to London. I will be sure to relay the comments of our room service portions to the head chef and Front Desk team.

Best Regards,

Leuven
Reviewed 14 January 2013

A few months ago London was calling! It was time to put our frequent traveling to NYC on hold and explore some other metropolises. London it was. So first thing to do: pick a hotel. Not easy because I am a pretty demanding traveller. To me a hotel has got to have a distinctive personality and above all, the service is crucial to me. After elaborate research we chose South Place hotel, located in-between the East-end and the city.

First impression: Impressive! When you walk into the hotel a friendly attentive doorman greats you with a genuine smile. He opens the massive glass doors for you and the first thing that hits you is the unique hotel scent. That is something that definitely makes me smile. Check-in went smooth and easy, it was 11am and our room was ready. Big score, South Place hotel! Okay now the room, was it as remarkable as the overall design of the hotel? Well, yes and no. The marble bathroom is drop dead gorgeous. I am talking about a rain shower, huge bathtub, a double sink, enough storage space, attractive amenities. Do I need to go on? The design of the bedroom is clean and modern, but cosy and soothing at the same time. Although I loved the whimsical facilities and details (B&O tv, local art, stationery, sofa...), I missed an explicate and unique personality! Something that made the room even more exceptional, like the rest of the venue.

But wait, South Place hotel has so much more, it is a complete package. I fell in love with the bar and the restaurant on the ground floor. Perfect hide away to dine and unwind. And they have a secret hideaway too, Le Chiffre which is only accessible to hotel guests and locals. But this space completely misses its purpose, it's not a cozy retreat where guests want to be. Nope, it is pretty deserted and the vibe, well actually there is no vibe at all! Maybe it is its location on the first floor, too far away from the lively atmosphere of the bar.

My overall experience was a wow experience! South Place hotel is a remarkable hotel that understands the importance of details: the uniforms of the hotel staff, a doorman that picks up the cigarettes from the pavement, the scent, the lighting, the art, the food, ...! Yes, we found our London home away from home.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Delighted to hear you had such a positive stay with us. We are pleased to know you found the room a delight and made good use of our social atmosphere on the ground floor for dining and drinks.

As for Le Chiffre - your comments are spot on. In February we are introducing a 'Members Club' that will bring more life to this room and the Garden Bar, putting guests in contact with a smattering of locals that are well-connected creatives, entrepreneurs, and local business people.

We are thrilled you chose South Place Hotel for your stay in London and look forward to welcoming you back to see if you feel things are even better than the first time.

London, uk
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed at this fabulously stylish hotel this weekend, and wanted to take the time to tell the world just how good it is.
Reception staff were incredibly polite and welcoming and our check in was swift...we were shown to our room where I let out a small scream of delight when I saw it.
Enormous king size bed, with incredible flat screen tv and radio available. Good decor and lighting was impressive.
Bathroom was huge and slick. double sinks and showers! Amazing toiletries in abundance too.

Just gorgeous interior...
House keeping were very attentive and professional. It was just a dream.

I ate in the restaurant and had 3 course lunch with glass of wine for £15. A real bargain and good quality.

Gym, steam and sauna on site. There isnt a pool, but the reception staff said we could use a pool from an adjacent fitness centre.

The attention to detail was impressive, and was just a great stay in the heart of london.
some 3 mins walk from Liverpool street and the tube, ideally situated and just a pleasant and refreshing stay,

well done to all the team for assisting us with a glorious weekend.

will definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive feedback on South Place. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your giant bed, tasty food, and had a relaxing stay. We hope to see you back in the heart of London with us soon!