“brilliant weekend in the City”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #38 of 1,090 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“brilliant weekend in the City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I recently stayed at South Place hotel for the weekend with my wife and toddler daughter to get over our jet-lag in style!
This hotel is very sleek and stylish but also has lots of little quirky touches which add personality, so you don't feel you are staying in another 'city' hotel. Cool artwork, great brands in the minibar, an interesting and well put together cocktail list and bar food menu in the bar on the ground floor to name a few.
We loved the garden bar and the club room on the first floor, both great options for post-dinner drinks depending on what the great british weather is up to!
We had a corner studio suite, which was beautifully decorated and just the right size for the 3 of us and the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've stayed in.
The staff were fantastic - so helpful and friendly from start to finish. Nothing was too much trouble. My daughter is celiac and they provided us with gluten free bread every time we ate in the ground floor brasserie without us having to ask for it, which she was thrilled about.
It was great to be able to enjoy that part of London at the weekend as well. There is so much more going on in and around Liverpool Street these days... I'd forgotten how much I liked Spitalfields Market.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, for more than just businessmen staying during the week, it ticks a lot more boxes than that. We will definitely stay again when we are next in London

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Danbox,

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback. We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to South Place on your next visit to London.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Lovely hotel and great for those with work engagements in the City. Clearly designed with the hip business man in mind - from the dark wooden tones, grey marbled bathrooms, and photos of male cowboy heroes over the bed to boot; definitely no room for flowers, curves or bright colours in this place! Reminded me of Andaz Midtown NY or Urbán in Madrid and service/staff all excellent. All in all, being a woman, I might have gone for more 'white' over 'dark brown' but that's just being picky. My original choice had been The Town Hall but couldn't get in... but this one is better situated for the City. On this occasion, I was in London for the Nike 10km run so not business, so it works for leisure too - easy to get to Tate Modern and London Bridge by walking 10-15 mins.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your comments - very much appreciated. We were delighted that you mentioned that we are well located for leisure guests too. We think that there are so many exciting things to do now within the city and the east end, yet the more traditional tourist destinations are within easy striking distance thanks to the excellent transport links. We hope to welcome you back to South Place in the very near future.

Best,

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I can't say enough wonderful things about the helpful, caring, and friendly staff. They really went out of their way to make my stay a pleasant one. As a widowed single mom traveling with an eight year old son, I don't always feel like I am the type of guest a hotel caters to. In this case, the staff -- and I do mean everyone from the front desk to the room service to the restaurant servers -- were exceptionally attentive and friendly. There were several small issues with the room but each time they quickly attended to the situation with a smile and I never felt I was inconveniencing them. They even offered to buy my son a new stuffed bunny when it went missing during the linen change. Simply request a tea kettle if you like to have tea like I do. The location is probably better suited to business than tourism, but the Moorgate tube was easy to access and the Double Decker buses were, as well. While it is not really designed as a family hotel (no children's menu for the roof top restaurant, etc) it worked out totally fine and I'm so glad to have chosen this hotel to celebrate my 50th birthday. The only disappointment was trying to contact the hotel in advance through the email contact listed on their website, and getting no reply to 2 emails I sent with questions in advance. Otherwise, a tremendous experience at an exceptional hotel!

Room Tip: We did not have much of a view, so not sure if there are rooms that do have them. The beds are super...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your comments. We were delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and are always thrilled when guest's specifically mention our team. We hope to welcome you back to South Place in the very near future.

Best regards,

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This hotel is wonderful. The rooms are spacious, very clean and nicely decorated. The mini bar is fantastic, the bed is big and comfortable. The highlight is the bathroom and its products. There is a very nice concept with the lighting and you can have a very relaxing atmosphere in the room and in the bathroom. Room service is excellent! Dont miss the welcome drink!!
Overall, I stayed 5 nights and my stay was very pleasant. I also enjoyed the spa a lot. very quite and warm environment. It is 2min from the tube and for sure you will enjoy a drink at the terrace on the 7th floor. I highly reccomend it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us your comments. I am so glad you had such a fantastic time at the hotel, we love the terrace too - I am sure it will be a hit in the summer!

We hope to see you again at the hotel soon.

Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

My husband and I spent three nights at the South Place, and we were delighted with their service. Saul, the manager in duty, was always making sure we had everything we needed, and we felt treated like VIPS by all the staff, who went the extra mile to help with our requests.

The location is great for business, and well connected (tube) for sightseeing.
The rooms were perfect, the bed supercomfortable, the bath really nice (loved the bathtub) and well assorted.

We had breakfast at the hotel on our first day, but walked to a nearby Pret à Manger the other days (if you are planning to do the same, save hotel breakfast for Sunday, as that's when most places are closed in the City).

I don't have words to say how much we loved this hotel. 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for leaving such a glowing review - the team are always delighted to read such nice comments.

I am so proud of what we have done here and I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful experience at the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

As a PA I am forever on the lookout for hotels, bars & restaurants I can safely send important clients and my bosses without the fear of the place not being up to scratch.
So when I heard about South Place I was very excited to see what the fuss was about.
As soon as I arrived it was obvious - It's got everything you need whether you are there for business or leisure.
I have stayed a few times and the rooms are stunning. I would highly recommend South Place Hotel for its gorgeous design, great facilities and friendly service.
Will most certainly be back!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AJF1111
Thank you so much for your great feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to give us your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back really soon, and if you have any enquires for future bookings, please don't hesitate to email us on hello@southplacehotel.com.

Rayleigh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel over the May Day bank holiday weekend. Firstly I would like to mention the positives - and there are many - friendly, attentive staff, first class rooms and great facilities. In short it has everything needed to be a wonderful place to stay and relax.
However, there lies the problem. The hotel is seemingly more concerned at turning itself into London's newest music venue than the comfort of its patrons. On Saturday evening the Bar & Grill played host to some DJ's who kept the bass lines pumping until 3:30am, unfortunately they were also pumping in my 4th floor bedroom. On Sunday, as if I weren't frazzled enough from lack of sleep, we returned to our room to find more pumping bass lines from a rooftop party, this continued until past 9pm and only stopped when we made a call to reception.
The volume and duration of the music was wholly unacceptable but I should point out that the staff were very apologetic the next day and admitted that mistakes had been made.
Regardless of this I feel my low rating is justified as the whole weekend was ruined and I also noticed that more DJ's had been booked for future weekends.
I should also point out that I thought the prices were excessively expensive, even for a London hotel. A bag of crisps from the mini-bar £3, with Tesco Metro nearby I don't think so!
To conclude, if you like the club scene and want a place to crash afterwards I would thoroughly recommend, however if you want a quiet relaxing stay in London then avoid at all costs.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank rasowe
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Rasowe,

Firstly, please accept my sincerest apologies for your disturbed sleep on Saturday.

From the outset, music and art have been central to the cultural offering at South Place and we have hosted several well-attended events, which have been well received and did not compromise other guests enjoyment of the hotel but on this occasion we got it badly wrong. Although we did give consideration to the impact the event would have on other hotel guests, Saturday proved to be a real learning experience. The event ran well beyond schedule specifically because most attendees were hotel residents. At half past eleven we moved the party down to the ground floor bar in order to minimise disruption to other guests but there did remain noise bleed both through music and the number of high-spirited party goers. We will not allow an event to continue as long into the night in future and will take steps to ensure this.

With respect to the event on the rooftop on Sunday afternoon, the disruption was much less although we will definitely limit the time to 7pm in the future and put in volume limiting equipment. Despite a sound test in advance the output on the day was over the top and this issue proved difficult to manage. We do have a calendar of these Sunday events scheduled and we will put the experience of Sunday to good use in refining the events in order to reduce impact on other guests.

From the concept stage we devised that South Place Hotel should very much play on its location at the junction between the City and the East End: Square Mile by week and Shoreditch by weekend. The City has long had a reputation of being devoid of life at the weekend and we are consciously looking to create animation and change this prejudice. We need to work harder on how to communicate this to guests at the weekend prior to the point of booking. This aside, last weekend went too far.

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on such a balanced review and I am delighted that specifically acknowledged the team and service. Dealing with such matters retrospectively is always difficult. We care desperately about our guests and are working hard to strike the right balance within the hotel.

I would be delighted at liaise directly with you and would be grateful if you could contact me on brucer@southplacehotel.com.

Renewed apologies and warm regards,