“Lovely staff, but not special, and disappointing for the price paid”
Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #37 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff, but not special, and disappointing for the price paid”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my partner towards the end of summer as a treat, after reading so many great reviews on Tripadvisor and deciding that it must be very special. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed, especially for £350 per night.

I'll start with the positives - the staff. They were all very friendly, courteous, and polite. They're well trained, well presented, and clearly wanted to portray an approachable-yet-professional attitude, which they all did. If something was to let this hotel down, it probably wouldn't be the staff.

What did let it down, for us, was the facilities.

The room (advertised as a "suite") was very small - definitely not what comes to mind when one images a "suite" - it was the size of a standard double room in a Travelodge or Premier Inn. The carpet looked a little bit dirty and had a few water marks (or something) so I wasn't too comfortable walking on it barefoot. The furnishings and overall decor, although nice looking, were not amazing and I can't say we were stunned or in awe at the beauty of the room, which is a shame, because the pictures make it look romantic and extremely modern. One good point was the bathroom, which lovely, and had a constant supply of high-pressure hot water, although - bizarrely - the toilet was very high off the ground!

The technology built in to the room was largely unnecessary and really didn't add anything at all - in fact, we had lots of problems with the touch controls - they just simply don't work very well! It was a nightmare trying to control the lights' brightness, pulling the blinds down or up, and working the television. The TV also didn't work with any external devices although it was supposed to. To their credit again, the staff did try to help with the blinds and TV problems but the hassle wasn't at all conducive to a relaxing stay.

Another let-down of this hotel was its food.

We decided to order room service for a light dessert. Unfortunately the desserts were just "assembled" from pre-chilled ingredients and no actual cooking or true preparation had gone on. The front desk also appeared to have a slightly different menu than we had in the room, leading to some confusion on the phone over what I was trying to order.

Breakfast was also disappointing. The pastries were small and not at all remarkable... I could be very wrong, but they were very small, didn't seem freshly made and were certainly not warm. The bowl of yoghurt was large but very tasteless, even with its fruit compote on top. My partner, who had a cooked breakfast, was also unimpressed. A mandatory service charge for the breakfast was discreetly placed on the bill which I thought was pretty presumptuous.

One thing I was seriously unhappy about was an unannounced fire alarm test. We were jarred awake by a massively loud siren above the bed which caused a moment of panicked confusion as it had never been mentioned that a test would be taking place - absolutely not a nice way to wake up!

Overall I'm sad to say that I wouldn't return to the hotel. The little things let it down - not the staff, but everything else. It seems to me that it's advertised as a stylish and unique hotel, but to us, without any kind of prejudice, it was ordinary. Especially for the price paid.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChickenShawarma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here about a month ago and couldn't have asked for a better one night stay. Every little thing is thought of. The bathroom was fantastic and the extra large bath was perfect after a night at the theatre. As was a pair of slippers placed near the bed ready for our return. Just a couple of mins walk from Liverpool St Station. Perfectly placed.

Overall I would definitely recommend

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear dalehigham,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, it was great to read your kind comments, and we really appreciate you taking the time to write them.

I hope we can welcome you to hotel again soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Was here for a business event - didn't stay over, but the meeting rooms were interesting and well appointed. The meal was silver served in the meeting room - choice from a menu, of which I had scallops with belly pork, halibut and treacle tart (luckily, served as three separate courses). Excellent quality; superbly tasty. If this is representative of the restaurants, I happily recommend the place.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Clivel_98,

Thank you for leaving your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your meeting and the food.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon, whether that is for an overnight stay, or to visit one of our restaurants.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We were staying in London for our daughter's wedding and from the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble. The staff are so welcoming and professional, the facilities are amazing, the food was fabulous ( we will definitely try Angler as well next time) and we just couldn't fault anything about our stay... Thank you South Place, you are an example that many other hotels in London should follow.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Rita D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was delighted that your daughter chose South Place Hotel for such an important occasion and would like to offer again the congratulations of the whole team.

I am sure you will be pleased to learn that Angler has recently earned its first Michelin star, and I hope we see you soon, whether that will be for a hotel stay, or just dinner.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

When you enter this new (Oct 2013) beautiful, modern hotel in the centre of the City of London you will be impressed by the design and style of the place. The rooms too, with their gorgeous bathrooms (with huge baths) and wonderful beds are great. But it's the staff that are really exceptional...friendly without being oily, efficient, un-rushed and truly charming. They have been really well trained. I saw a member of staff handling a complaint about an unwanted wake up call from another guest. They were really good and the visitor left feeling listened to and compensated. I'm sure they will be back.
At breakfast we were brought freshly squeezed OJ without even having to think about it, and the rest (scrambled eggs with smoked salmon) was delicious and served with sour-dough toast...my favourite. When they didn't have our usual newspaper they went out and got us one...no extra charge...no question of it in fact. The stay wasn't cheap, but it was worth it. I don't think that we will need any excuses to use this exceptional and luxurious hotel next time we have to stay up in town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear 1958speedster356,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback, we really appreciate it. I was thrilled to read that you had such a wonderful time when you stayed here, and I am really proud of the staff and the great service to provide to all fo our guests.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I never write reviews for places but had to write about south place hotel.
Ive been twice now and the place is just perfect ,from the amazing friendly staff to the rooms,food,cleanliness,decor etc

It oozes class in a non pretentious way.The staff make you feel as if you are staying with friends rather than a hotel,Ive never felt so comfortable or at home anywhere like this before .

I cant wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear dom c,

Thank you so much for your kind comments - I was very happy to read that you broke with tradition to leave such great feedback.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel really soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My second visit to South Place this year. Beautifully designed interior, Friendly and helpful staff, from reception through to the bar and restaurant that I visited. Food was first class and the rooms were perfect with all the amenities you would expect, plus. Could find nothing to fault, and would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear djaitch,

I was really pleased to read your feedback, and appreciate you taking the time to do this. It is especially great to see that this was a return visit.

I do hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.