“South Place Is A Great Place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #35 of 1,086 Hotels in London
San Diego
“South Place Is A Great Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Overall really happy with our stay here.
Room was awesome. I noticed a few reviews complaining about the tv/room control panel, didn't have any of those issues. It is super simple. Great bathroom with a nice rain shower.
Good location as you are just a couple blocks to two tube stations with one of them being Liverpool street with multiple lines.
Bars in the hotel always had people at them and energy throughout the day.
Front desk staff could be a little friendlier when you come and go, but this was by no means a major issue.
Stay here you will enjoy it.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear sherlock23,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I have spoken to our Front Desk team, and I am certain that this issue has been resolved.

I do hope we can welcome you back at the hotel again very soon.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

For my Girlfriend and myself, I booked ourselves a night in the South Place hotel, A modern and very well rated London hotel. It was the best booking and decision I have made ever. We could not have received any better service, with a personalised card waiting for us in our suite. Every aspect a memory to be had, a lovely bed, bathroom and amenities to share over the weekend. With access to Le Chiffre came great fun, with a games room combined with record player for all round entertainment in the heart of the financial sector. We came out gobsmacked at the priceless service and attentiveness of our needs and wants. No request too much and nothing to fault. A definite return over the festive season is on the cards for us. Thank you so much for helping us enjoy our weekend away to point where it could be described only as perfect.

Room Tip: Higher up the better, as a view is brilliant and is quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Patrick H,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback, I was delighted to learn that you had such a great time when you stayed - it certainly sounds like you were able to explore the hotel. The team here were so pleased to read you lovely comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel really soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and me were celebrating our anniversary on the 19th of Oct and wanted something special for the day. The room was really gorgeous with an open shower concept one of their best rooms in the hotel. We were greeted with sweets and a plate stating happy anniversary which made it even more special. The dinner at their restaurant was really good with excellent service by all of the staff. The overall experience was really appreciated and one of our best experiences.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear dannymany,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I was so pleased to read that you had such a wonderful time on your anniversary.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel really soon.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I recently spent several days at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it! The staff was incredibly friendly and sweet, competent and helpful. The food was terrific both at the "fancy" Angler restaurant, and at the more casual cafe downstairs. The rooftop terrace was a lovely place to enjoy after-dinner drinks, and the 2nd floor indoor/outdoor bar was really cool too!

The room was quiet and comfortable, with plenty of closet space, a desk, and towels on a heated bar in the bathroom. Temperature controls were responsive and easy to use.

The attention to detail throughout the hotel was impressive.

The only thing marring our stay was an errant fire alarm which went off twice in four days - once mid-day and once quite early in the morning.

I loved the location - close to the Tube and within walking distance of Shoreditch. Not the cheapest hotel, but well worth the splurge! I'll definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Eldon class of room - not huge, but perfectly comfortable for 2 people.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Staying at the South Place Hotel was a true 5* experience. The service we encountered on our recent trip on the 2nd November was absolutely flawless. It honestly couldn't have been better. We arrived just before 12 noon fully expecting our room to not yet be available, but fortunately for us a room was available immediately and the lady at the check-in desk personally showed us up to the room on the 6th floor.

The room was perfect and the bathroom was particularly indulgent, with a very large Philippe Starck designed bathtub complete with a powerful and hot rainforest style shower. The room and entire hotel was spotlessly clean, and we didn't hear any noise at all from other guests during our stay - so the room must be very well soundproofed. The view from the room window wasn't particularly inspiring, it looked out onto the inner courtyard with outdoor bar visible below but it let in a lot of natural light and had a large mirrored artwork opposite; but given that the hotel is only 6/7 stories high and surrounded by other buildings I don't imagine any room in the hotel has particularly stunning views.

I booked via a hotel comparison website and forgot to specifically request hypoallergenic bedding as my partner suffers from allergies. As we were leaving the hotel to go to the theatre we requested for the standard down-filled duvets to be replaced with hypoallergenic duvet and pillows and upon our arrival back to the hotel the lady at the reception desk recognised us and confirmed that they'd been changed. My partner noticed that the hotel also offered complimentary hair straighteners available from reception as apparently these days hair driers are no longer enough! It's little touches like this that made the service really stand out as being particularly good.

As a lover of technology this hotel was perhaps the most impressive I've ever experienced. The room comes with fast free wi-fi, a superb high-end Bang & Olufsen TV (complete with complimentary movie rental), Sky Sports and international TV channels, touchscreen bedside DAB and internet radio with iPod dock, and stylish bedside wall panels allow you to control the rooms lighting, air conditioning and even open and close the rooms black-out blind. I now wish I had some of these features at home! A panel built into the large desk easily allows you to connect and charge gadgets (USB, ethernet, HDMI, etc).

We didn't have breakfast included in our rate so I can't comment on that, although we did try the all day brunch in the '3 South Place - bar and grill' restaurant in the lobby. It came with unlimited Prosecco for an extra £10 each, which was well worth it. It was incredibly noisy in the restaurant, but I'll not downvote the hotel experience because of that.

I'm already awaiting our next trip to London just so that we can stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear amarshall1,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I was really pleased to read that you made the most of the facilities and that the in-room technology made your stay even more fun.

Whilst it is true that we are surrounded by buildings due to our location in the city, do please let our Reservations team know if you would like to stay in a particular room or part of the hotel, and they will do their very best to try to accommodate you.

We look forward to welcoming you at the hotel again soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Have stayed at South Place several times this year, initially because my usual business hotel nearby was fully booked. Luckily for me, as South Place has now become my hotel of choice in the City. Yes it is a bit more expensive than I used to pay, but it is definitely worth it. And whilst it is located in the middle of the financial district, it has a different vibe than your average City hotel. Good sized rooms, wonderful bathroom and great guest facilities. Pretty much everything has been thought of - except the provision of coffee / tea in the room, which I agree with other reviewers, is something one would expect at this price (rather than pay for room service I popped across to Pret a Manger for a cup of coffee!).
On one of our visits in July, we stayed over a weekend and did encounter a couple of problems with the Terrace bar being closed for private functions (and no pre-warning) and excessively loud music until 9pm from one event on a Sunday evening, and when trying to prepare for important meetings the next morning, the 'boom,boom,boom' of the music was pretty unwelcome! However, the hotel staff responded well and genuinely wanted feedback to help them improve their customer experience.
To make up for this, on our last night, which also coincided with our wedding anniversary, the hotel management offered us dinner in Angler. We had a wonderful three courses, matched with some amazing wines and now I have become hooked - excuse the pun! Angler is now my restaurant of choice for both business dinners and special meals with friends, when in London, and I have eaten their twice just in the last few weeks. Their Michelin star is well-deserved.

So at the end of the day, what makes South Place special, is the level of service and attention to detail from each member of staff. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joanna H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Myself and two friends stayed here for a Saturday night in October. The hotel is in a fabulous location very close to Liverpool St Station or Moorgate given you good options on the tube. We were fortunate enough to get an extremely good value rate (which turned out to be a mistake on the website but our bookings were still honoured). We were looked after by the wonderful Saul on arrival who could not do more for us. He really was a gentleman who aimed to please.

Our rate included a set dinner and also the breakfast bellini brunch the following day. The food was great at both and the unlimited cocktails that go with the breakfast brunch really are unlimited. The only problem was that at check out I was going to be charged for dinner - so I had to explain about the room rate again. I then had to explain about the brunch again being included again (this rate had been confirmed in E-mails from the hotel prior to our arrival and also at check in on our arrival). The reception girl was very pleasant and sorted this immediately - I then reminded her that the brunch was also included. The receptionist called over a restaurant member of staff and explained about myself (and 2 friends) having the brunch included - so she did her best to ensure that we wouldn't have to bring up this with the restaurant staff that this was included in our rate. However - when we got the bill, everything was on it. I then had to explain that we had it included and that the only extras were for two friends who had come to meet us at the hotel and I listed out exactly what they had. The bill arrived again and it was still incorrect. Finally, the third time the bill was correct but the waitress was none to pleased with the fact that she had to correct the bill two times (this was not our fault!). Whilst we were sorting out payment between the two girls who were not included, the waitress decided we were taking too long and banged down the credit card machine on the table and walked off clearly annoyed- instead of politely telling us she would be back in a moment. This experience at payment was the only disappointment with what was a fabulous brunch (we had all been discussing how we would make this brunch a regular feature of our future visits until the debacle with the bill and subsequent attitude from the waitress). We still probably will come back again as we really did enjoy the brunch, the hotel was great and all the other staff were fantastic, I just don't think this waitress was a people person!

As for the hotel rooms - they were large, everything you needed was in the rooms - the black out feature was fantastic and guaranteed a great sleep. No noise.....great bathrooms and toiletries. Also, I was up early that morning and as I sat in reception waiting for a friend to arrive, I was asked if I would like a complimentary coffee - one of the few nice little touches that the South Place Hotel offer that you don't get in chain hotels etc

I would definitely recommend this hotel - however if I could make one recommendation it would be better communication between the restaurant and reception when people have items included in their rates. It was a little bit embarrassing having it come up as an issue more than once especially when we had ensured prior to our arrival that there were definitely no issues etc - aside from that - everything was perfect and all the lovely staff to be commended, especially Saul!! (with the exception of the above mentioned waitress!!)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends