“Nice vibe, great location”
Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #37 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Nice vibe, great location”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed at South Place Hotel last month. We had a club night at Duke's just a 15 minute walk form the hotel so it was the perfect location for us. The hotel is right by Moorgate tube, very easy to find and get aorund London from here, a good base.
When I checked in I was offered a drink and my bags to be carried. We were shown to the room, and shown how to use everything - TV is very modern and is even linked to a speaker in the bathroom ceiling, which is great because we had Kiss FM on while we were getting ready in the bathroom! The Bathroom was quite small but didn't feel cramped at all, nice big bath and a powerful shower, just enough light to see well but still be relaxing.
We stayed out til the early hours but the few hours sleep I did have were abolutely beautiful! The matresses are hypnos - what the Queen uses! Most comforatble bed I have ever slept in, i would rank it above any other hotel I have stayed in for comfort.
Nice little extra touches included yellow roses, half bottle of champagne, chocolate brownies and a hand written card welcoming us to the hotel.
The service was impeccable, very polite and friendly even at 5am! My new favourite place to stay in London, can't faul a thing!

Room Tip: We stayed in entry level, it was more than more enough space for a few nights and we had everything...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear meximoos,

Thank you so much for your kind word, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I do hope we will see you at the hotel again very soon.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was our second trip to South Place having stopped in the summer with friends. This time we were upgraded to. Studio room which was lovely. The bathroom was spacious with a bath and shower , and the brownie for my husbands birthday which awaiting him after a hard days shopping was a lovely touch.
We had an excellent meal in the angler food was really tasty however the wine pairings were a real disappointment. My husband enjoyed the pappy van winkle bourbon on offer in the bar.
We stopped for brunch in the downstairs restaurant on Sunday which was really good value and very tasty. Overall the experience was very positive and I am sure we will be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Susan W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, it is particulary pleasing to read such lovely comments from a returning guest.

I am sorry to learn that your were disappointed with the wine pairings when you dined however and I am happy to discuss this with you to ensure we improve our service. Please feel free to email me on brucer@southplacehotel.com with more details.

I hope we can welcome you at the hotel again very soon.

Warm regards
NYC
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Let's just say this is a trendy hotel that is trying to make a name for itself.
Why?
When I came in at 8pm on a Thursday after a trip to France I was greeted by a huge party going on in the lobby. I was shocked, to say the least. Even the trendiest of hotels knows to keep the lobby a bit of a sacred space. A chance for those who are coming in to get their bearings before participating in the party.
Well, this was a private party that had spilled over from the bar "because there was no more room" there, or so the front desk told me.
Any decent hotel manager would have kept that party to its space.
Failing that, any decent hotel manager would have sent something up to guests to make it better.
Not here.
When I came in on Friday night at about 1am the place was rocking, but at least it was confined to the bar. What they should have done was move the DJ a bit further away from the entrance, again, just to keep the lobby area a safe place for hotel guests who may not be in the mood to party.
The location is good if you are working in the City, not so good if you want to be elsewhere, as almost nothing is open down there on the weekend.
You can run across the street to Marks & Spencer to grab some food or over to Liverpool Street Station (about 5 blocks away) to get some food, even on Sunday.
The rooms look out on other buildings, some of which keep their lights on 24/7, so the blackout shades are needed.
The rooms have iPod docks, which are great.
There is easy, free WiFi throughout the hotel, which is wonderful.
The rooms have a fresh lemon & lime in them, right there for any drinks you want to make.
I didn't bother with any of the room service, as it struck me as overpriced and very limited. The hotel is known for its restaurants, but to be honest, they didn't appeal to me. When I'm exhausted and it is late, I don't want some chef's ego-induced fru-fru dish. I save that for when I'm going out for that & in the mood.
The Sunday brunch looked like a great deal, so I was surprised there weren't more people there when I was on a Sunday afternoon. That is probably due to the location - it isn't after work & a schlep from many places in London.
The front door staff is pleasant enough.
There is no security in the elevators, which is a concern for a single woman when the bar is on fire and there are overserved people around the joint. I didn't know whether the guys who got into the elevator with their drinks were hotel guests or not. It made me a bit nervous, and I'm no shrinking violet.
The amenities in the bathroom are lovely and generous. They aren't small & skimpy by any stretch of the imagination.
The bathtub was enormous, big enough for 2 or 3. The biggest problem was that the side was so high I almost needed a ladder to get in and out! There wasn't anything that I could use to help me aside from the towel warmer (which is a wonderful thing, but be sure to only grab it where the towels are!).

The list:
Shower pressure: I hate waterfall showers. If you like them, you'll be fine.
Front desk: Average. Some were quite good, some below average.
Bed: Above average.
Sheets/Bedding: Above Average.
Towels: Average.
Phone service/attendants: OK.
Room size: Average to above average.
Room service: An ego trip for the chef, not aimed at people who are staying in the hotel.

Room Tip: Anything above 2 to avoid the noise from the downstairs bar. The room near the elevator wasn't...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ilovemanhattanNyc
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear ilovemanhattanNyc,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. It is always disappointing to learn that a guest has not fully enjoyed their stay and for that I offer my sincerest apologies..

The public areas of the hotel do have a definite energy and whilst most hotel reception areas are disparate from these activities, it was a considered decision at the design stage that South Place would be different in this respect. We do hold two areas on the 1st floor, Le Chiffre and the Secret Garden, exclusively for hotel residents in order that they can enjoy a quieter more intimate ambiance.

It is a shame that on your visit you did not get a chance to explore the vibrant shopping and restaurant scene that we have in close proximity to the hotel. Both Spitalfields Market and Brick Lane are within 5 minutes walk of the hotel, whilst the bars and restaurants of Shoreditch are just a ten minute walk away. These areas offer excellent shopping and entertainment options and are particularly busy at the weekend.

On your next trip to London, should you wish to stay at South Place, please do contact me directly on brucer@southplacehotel.com in order that I can personally oversee your arrangements.

Illinois
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights through a jet setter offer. The price was excellent (by London standards) for the quality of the room. Room and bathroom were top notch and extremely clean. Loved the modern decor, lots of storage and the deep bathtub.
2 reasons what I give the hotel 4 stars rather than 5 - lack of coffee making facilities (£5 for room service coffee) and the fact that the ambience was a bit business upscale for us. Not to fault the hotel, we just didn't feel comfortable hanging out in the lobby. The hostel was just a place to sleep for us - albeit a very nice one. Staff was very courteous.
Also if note, the hotel is just around the corner from the Moorgate tube which is very handy if sightseeing.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear bossfan59,

Thank you very much for leaving your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I was happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay here.

We have had similar feedback from other guests regarding the tea and coffee making facilities, and as such, we are in the process of putting these into each room.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.

San Diego
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Overall really happy with our stay here.
Room was awesome. I noticed a few reviews complaining about the tv/room control panel, didn't have any of those issues. It is super simple. Great bathroom with a nice rain shower.
Good location as you are just a couple blocks to two tube stations with one of them being Liverpool street with multiple lines.
Bars in the hotel always had people at them and energy throughout the day.
Front desk staff could be a little friendlier when you come and go, but this was by no means a major issue.
Stay here you will enjoy it.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear sherlock23,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I have spoken to our Front Desk team, and I am certain that this issue has been resolved.

I do hope we can welcome you back at the hotel again very soon.

Lutterworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

For my Girlfriend and myself, I booked ourselves a night in the South Place hotel, A modern and very well rated London hotel. It was the best booking and decision I have made ever. We could not have received any better service, with a personalised card waiting for us in our suite. Every aspect a memory to be had, a lovely bed, bathroom and amenities to share over the weekend. With access to Le Chiffre came great fun, with a games room combined with record player for all round entertainment in the heart of the financial sector. We came out gobsmacked at the priceless service and attentiveness of our needs and wants. No request too much and nothing to fault. A definite return over the festive season is on the cards for us. Thank you so much for helping us enjoy our weekend away to point where it could be described only as perfect.

Room Tip: Higher up the better, as a view is brilliant and is quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Patrick H,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback, I was delighted to learn that you had such a great time when you stayed - it certainly sounds like you were able to explore the hotel. The team here were so pleased to read you lovely comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel really soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and me were celebrating our anniversary on the 19th of Oct and wanted something special for the day. The room was really gorgeous with an open shower concept one of their best rooms in the hotel. We were greeted with sweets and a plate stating happy anniversary which made it even more special. The dinner at their restaurant was really good with excellent service by all of the staff. The overall experience was really appreciated and one of our best experiences.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear dannymany,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I was so pleased to read that you had such a wonderful time on your anniversary.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel really soon.