“Lovely hotel, great service”
Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #39 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Smyrna, Georgia
“Lovely hotel, great service”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I recently stayed at SPH for a quick business trip to London and I was delighted with the accommodations. The room was very nice, modern and comfortable. I was very happy to have four breakfasts at the restaurant during my stay and they were delicious. The ground floor was always very energetic with a great bar, great food and crowds every time I was there. On two occasions I lingered at the bar before heading up to my room and each time I had a well crafted cocktail, entertaining conversation, and good people-watching. The bar staff are quite knowledgeable and I had a great time discussion ingredients with the head bartender Angel.

The general hotel staff are also quite lovely. They were happy to help with anything, welcoming, professional. They all seem to really enjoy being there and it shows. I hope to return for another stay in the near future.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms get the noise from their 1st floor patio bar so if you want a quiet room get one...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Todd C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such great feedback, I was thrilled to read that you had an enjoyable time during your stay.

Our staff are the most important element of our success and take great pride in the knowledge and excellent service they provide to each and every guest. They were so please to read your kind words.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again very soon.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Just stayed at South Place with my family for five days over Christmas holiday. Check in efficient, we were early and had to wait but were offered drinks and still checked in prior it listed check in. Rooms were very modern, spacious, stylish, immaculate, with supremely comfortable beds and great bathrooms (though you had to step down a bit to exit the shower). Nice toiletries. Staff were friendly with helpful suggestions for dining and sightseeing. We used Oyster tube cards for travel, they get you anywhere quickly so the location (2-3 minute walk from two different stations) allowed easy travel to anywhere in London. Only downside was exorbitant price of meals, room service and drinks at the hotel. Make sure you know what's "free/included" when you check in and be sure to check your bill on checkout. I'd still definitely stay there again, in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: They're all pretty quiet and soundproof, though higher floors (like 5th floor) and those ending...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear kingjam,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

I was really pleased to read that you had such a great stay and were able to explore London. Our Concierge team are always happy to provide inspiration for trips both close to the hotel and further afield.

We try to offer something for everyone in both of our restaurants and give guests the choice of A La Carte and Set Menus, such as the 3 South Place Menu which offers 2 courses for £20 or 3 courses for £25, which we believe to be great value.

I hope we will welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have considered very carefully and I feel I must give "poor".

I stayed at the South Place from 24 December to 29 December. Originally I booked the South Place King Room but on arrival I was upgraded to the Eldon room (room 512), which turned out to be a disaster.

First and foremost there was a leak somewhere in the room. Suspicion was first aroused when my guest approached the window facing South Place (as in the street: there are two windows in Room 512, one facing South Place and the other facing Dominion Street) and stepped upon some wet carpet. It was the first day of my stay so I thought it might had been the cleaner who negligently spilt some water earlier and I did not pay much attention. The true scale of the leak was not revealed until the early morning of 27 December at around 5:00 a.m. when it rained quite heavily in London. I was woken up by the sound of water dripping onto the carpet from the ceiling. I examined the ceiling and the curtains very closely and I discovered a disgusting yellowish stain, so the issue must have been around for quite some time but it was either unnoticed and/or no action was taken to remedy it.

The carpet was peppered with dirt marks and the doors of the wardrobe could not be closed properly.

In terms of service there were occasions of carelessness. On Christmas Day I ordered breakfast to my room but the staff overlooked the coffee and I had to call to remind them. Later that day I received 2 calls from I think the kitchen (not entirely sure who made those calls) asking if I ordered anything. I was really annoyed by the second call. If I said no it means no - you do not call the same person twice asking exactly the same question unless you do not trust him.

I considered giving it an "average" rating but considering the money I paid for that appalling room I think "poor" is a more accurate description.

That said however the staff were all friendly and attentive and due credit must be given.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank PCCheung
Dear PCCheung,

Firstly please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointing stay at the hotel.

Unfortunately the unusually extreme wet weather we experienced in the UK during Christmas time has affected room 512 and we have worked very hard to fix the leak. Our Front Desk team are always happy to offer an alternative room should any issues arise during your stay.

I have also spoken to our Room Service Team to ensure that they always offer the highest standard of service. They would also like to extend their apologies to you that this was not the case when you stayed.

I hope that this has not put you off visiting the hotel in future, and I would be delighted at liaise directly with you and would be grateful if you could contact me on brucer@southplacehotel.com.

Renewed apologies and warm regards,
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

One of the nicest hotels I have stayed in, every amenity thought of and the most amazing toiletries. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Room was amazing. Biggest bath I have ever seen. Attention to detail was perfect. Handy for the underground from Liverpool street.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spirit1975
Dear Spirit1975,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much.

Hope we will welcome you back soon.

London
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We decided to stay for a few nights over Christmas and just had a really relaxed amazing time - nothing was too much trouble for the team at South Place - from the check-in on Christmas Eve where we were shown the room and the features, through to having a great breakfast and Christmas lunch and drinks, and finally a chilled Boxing Day lunch with friends - everything was great, and all the staff were on top form.

The room we had was lovely - on the fifth floor and looking inwards over the courtyard bar - the blackout shades and the amazingly comfortable bed meant we had 2 fabulous sleeps. A well-stocked mini-bar with fresh lemons and limes was a nice touch, as was the nespresso coffee machine. And a huge bath and lovely shower - so a wonderful room in summary.

There's a games room on the first floor as well so we had a few games of pool and fussball which was great as well. And a perfectly acceptable gym - better than a lot of hotel gyms I've used in the past.

But it was the staff who really made our short stay at the South Place Hotel - I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel in the future...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear OMacster,

I was thrilled to read your kind words, thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review.

Our team is really proud of the great service we provide to each end every guest, and were really pleased to read your comments.

I am so glad that you were able to explore all of the hotel and enjoyed Le Chiffre and the gym, and I hope that we will see you at the hotel again soon, whether that’s for a hotel stay, or in one of our restaurants or bars.

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

I couldn't have wished for a better place to stay....
We were warmly welcomed by the door man who lead us to check in.
We were offered coffee whilst our few minutes wait to check in.
We were upgraded to a beautiful room as our stay was for a special occasion.
One word describes the room, furnishings and facilities. QUALITY
One word describes the staff and service we experienced. FAULTLESS
All I can say in summary is what a stylish, friendly and comfortable hotel in an ideal location.
We will definitely return.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Nicola S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I’m delighted that you chose to spend a special occasion at South Place Hotel and you had such a great time.

I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

UK
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Yes, this is a nice hotel, but not quite sure why it's 5* when I compare it with some others I have stayed at. The rooms are fine, bit small (we stayed in an Eldon), but with very good bedding and the electronic blinds completely blacked out any light. The bath is huge, really lovely. But there was some attention to detail missing. For example, there was only one English Breakfast teabag in the room, the others were herbal teas, so when we both wanted a cup of tea, that was not possible. I'm sure I could have phoned, but when you're in your robe just about to have a bath, do you want to call for a teabag? The Nespresso machine had a small amount of water in, I don't think enough that they had already filled it for me, I think it was left over from the previous occupants, and it was difficult to find an on/off switch - instructions would have been helpful. We could not turn off the tv speaker in the bathroom which was much louder than the actual tv, so I could not have a relaxing bath whilst my husband watched football, the noise was deafening. On the website it said that soft drinks from the mini bar were free but there was an (expensive) pricelist in the room, so we were very unsure whether we could help ourselves or not. Little things like this, I feel, make it more of a good 4* hotel than a 5* where, in my experience, there are few if any problems. In addition, they need to sort out the entrance. The entrance marked South Place Hotel leads straight into the restaurant, so you then have no idea where you are or where to go. The actual hotel entrance is hidden around the corner down a slope. Very strange. I do think there are better places at the same price in London, actually better places at a lesser price. I wouldn't hurry back.

Room Tip: The higher the better, we were woken at 4am by a dumper truck outside plus there is a building site...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear cruella55,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your candid review. We appreciate you taking the time to do this, although I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay at South Place Hotel.

Following your review we have made changes to our tea and coffee trays and I am happy to confirm that we now offer two English Breakfast and Earl Grey teabags in each tray, as well as ensuring the coffee machines are always ready to use. We are also in the process of turning off the speakers in the bathrooms so guests are not disturbed whilst relaxing.

Our team are always happy to clarify any queries you have during your stay and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.