“Professional style”

South Place Hotel
Ranked #37 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Professional style”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed at South Place hotel on a mixed business/pleasure trip and found the whole experience superb. I had little interaction with the hotel staff (because nothing went wrong!) but ate in both restaurants and found the staff there both professional and friendly. For me the highlight of the hotel is the sheer quality of both the basic design, and the in-room amenities and services - up to date and well thought out.
The restaurants are both excellent, and a big contrast - the downstairs one noise and lively, the rooftop one quieter as perhaps befits its Michelin star status.
I had no issues with sound though given the sheer volume of happy conversation and music on the ground floor I can imagine it might be a problem for some...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Otoman,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I was so pleased to read that you had such a great stay, and were able to visit both of our restaurants.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Oh my word, our stay at South Place could not have been better. Having been brought up in a 5 star hotel as a child I have always been pretty fussy but the staff at South Place made our stay wonderful.
We were there for my niece's wedding and nothing was too much trouble. The staff have been so well trained and seem to anticipate your every need without being perched on your shoulder.

The rooms are luxurious, and the food (we only ate in the brasserie downstairs, need to return to eat in the fish restaurant) was superb!

On leaving I mentioned that I would be returning for a girls weekend and the member of staff on reception commented that be sure to mention that when booking as they would organise us some massage and beauty treatments.

Can't wait to go back. Not the cheapest but certainly worth every penny!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear E J W,

Thank you so much for your kind words, we really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback, coming as it is, from an expert.

I was thrilled to read that you and your family chose South Place Hotel for such a special occasion, and that you had such a great time when you stayed. I highly recommend Angler, which won its first Michelin star last year.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you return.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Just back from SPH after an overnight on Moday.
All i can say is what a place. From the style and staff this place gets a solid 5 from me!

I have been lucky enough to stay at a few nice hotels across the world and would have to put South Place Hotel very near the top of that list.
You often find with some style type hotels they can be very bland and lacking atmosphere.... Well not here.

Everything just seems to be right, from the wonderful staff, to the food and everything in between. Also anyone who gives you access to your own turntable in the games area is a winner for me!!

I could wax lyrical about SPH for a while but why dont you just get booked up and see for yourself...........You wont be disappointed!

Cant wait for my return.

South Place Hotel you are a breath of fresh air in the London Hotel scene. Credit to all involved!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Grant M,

Thank you so much for such an enthusiastic review. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay so much, and were able to explore the entire hotel. We’ve had some great feedback about the turntable and we are always keeping an eye out for new records to add to our collection so look out for them on your next visit.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed over New Year's Eve for two nights in a deluxe room. We thought the service was superb all over the hotel. The food was excellent both downstairs and in the angler upstairs. Rooms are big and products are really nice. The food and drink in the rooms and the rest of the hotel is well priced, especially the bottomless cocktails at brunch downstairs. We would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Caparso,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I was delighted to learn that you had such a great time on New Year’s Eve and were able to try both of the restaurants. I must say – the Bloody Mary brunch is a personal favourite as well.

I hope we can welcome you to the hotel again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Firstly, we would like to thank the staff at South Place for their wonderful hospitality and service. We booked the studio room (604) to celebrate a special occasion. The staff at the reception were very welcoming and even prepared two deserts for us in our room upon arrival plus a personalised card.

Secondly, the studio room is very stylish and sleek, with an open bathtub and shower in the bedroom. The room design is very well thought out with extreme care for details. There are great lightning features, free movies on demand and plenty of other amenities (espresso machine, tea and milk, champagne and wine glasses and even a few boardgames should one get bored). The 24-hour room service was great too (we ordered the Lobster Mac and the Hamburger).

We would also recommend the cocktail bar as well as the breakfast (which was included in our room rate). Overall this was an excellent experience with only a few very minor details to criticise, such as the milk in the fridge being off and the floor and the shelf behind the bed being a bit dusty.

We would definitely count South Place as one of the rare places to return to and highly recommend booking the studio room if the budget allows for it.

Room Tip: Studio 604 is the one featured in the professional photos with an open plan bedroom/bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Elmo_Becks,

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time. I was delighted to read that you chose South Place Hotel for a special occasion, and that you had such a great time. It certainly sounds like you made the most of our bars and restaurants and room service.

I do hope to see you at the hotel again very soon.

portstewart
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Spent a night here at the weekend when seeing a play with my son at the barbican. First impressions were very good. The staff were very polite and helpful. The hotel was very clean and well equipped with good choice of restaurants and was extremely close to the barbican. The room was clean well appointed and equipped. Overall I found the experience quite pleasant and wouldn't hesitate to return again. The only complaint I have is that I was under the impression that if having breakfast, it was a flat extra rate of £25. However I found that this was not the case and that there is a separate charge for each individual item, whether it is a cup of coffee or a glass of orange juice. This was misleading when making the booking and I feel that in keeping with most other places I have stayed, that a single flat rate for breakfast should apply. Other than this, no complaints

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear igmg,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time. I was so glad that you had such a good time when you stayed, and our team were delighted to read your comments.

We made the decision to offer breakfast on an A La Carte basis to allow guests a choice of items such as a traditional English breakfast, or a lighter continental breakfast and charging only for items which are ordered. All of our menus are available online and our staff are always happy to help with any enquires prior to your stay.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Smyrna, Georgia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I recently stayed at SPH for a quick business trip to London and I was delighted with the accommodations. The room was very nice, modern and comfortable. I was very happy to have four breakfasts at the restaurant during my stay and they were delicious. The ground floor was always very energetic with a great bar, great food and crowds every time I was there. On two occasions I lingered at the bar before heading up to my room and each time I had a well crafted cocktail, entertaining conversation, and good people-watching. The bar staff are quite knowledgeable and I had a great time discussion ingredients with the head bartender Angel.

The general hotel staff are also quite lovely. They were happy to help with anything, welcoming, professional. They all seem to really enjoy being there and it shows. I hope to return for another stay in the near future.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms get the noise from their 1st floor patio bar so if you want a quiet room get one...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Todd C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such great feedback, I was thrilled to read that you had an enjoyable time during your stay.

Our staff are the most important element of our success and take great pride in the knowledge and excellent service they provide to each and every guest. They were so please to read your kind words.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again very soon.