“Swank Hotel, Great Food near Moorgate Tube Station” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #37 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Swank Hotel, Great Food near Moorgate Tube Station”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

After a business drinks event, our team went to 3 South Place Bar & Grill for dinner. It's one of two restaurants attached to this new modern hotel in a area without one. Near Liverpool Street and Moorgate station. Attentive service throughout, lovely food, with a whole page of different steaks, also a tasty cheeseburger. Noise level was at a medium level, so good background buzz, but we could still hold a conversation without having to shout across the table.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Linda1027,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, I was delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and dinner at 3 South Place Bar & Grill.

I hope we can see you at the hotel again very soon.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Having done a lot of background leg work to find a suitable hotel for my four night return to London (having been away from the city for 6+ years), I came across the South Place Hotel. Whilst the reviews were good, I wanted to make sure that it was the right place for me, so I made a quick call and got a fantastic reservation guy who was incredibly helpful and very chatty and satisfied all my questions - so I booked for the four nights.

Having arrived at the hotel (which some taxi drivers still find a little difficult to find), from the moment I checked in, to today when I checked out I can only compliment this hotel. The front desk staff are attentive and kind, and certainly make everything very easy.

I had paid for the standard Dominion Room, but was given an upgrade to an Eldon Room (room 317) and absolutely loved having the extra space, the wonderful double shower in the bathroom and the nice touches such as a Nespresso machine.

The room was quiet and didnt suffer from any noise issues and had everything that you could possibly need. The complimentary products in decent sized bottles, the vanity kits, the sumptuous towels - everything was great.

I used the bar on the ground floor extensively and found it to be very welcoming and inclusive. The DJ was good and not over powering, and the buzz of the bar was great. The cocktails were all made extremely well and were competitively priced.

I used room service and was very impressed with the quality of the food and the speed of service.

I also had dinner in The Angler with friends (and have done a separate review) but suffice to say the food and service were excellent, and I thought priced correctly for the quality and quantity.

I really enjoyed my stay at South Place, and found all the staff that I met to be very helpful and cheery, especially the guys who are outside opening the doors in all weathers and at all times.

My only niggle - and it really is only a silly niggle - was that the complimentary fresh milk was not replaced and I had to request new milk, and also the complimentary soft drinks from the mini bar were not replaced even though I was staying for four nights.

The ease of walking to either Moorgate or to Liverpool Street means that it is very accessible and you are able to visit all parts of London easily.

I absolutely loved my stay and will be booking for a return trip in four weeks. Whilst it is not the cheapest hotel in London, the advance prices are not over the top and are reflective of the quality of the hotel and the copious amounts of staff who ensure that nothing is too much trouble.

Great hotel, great location...just great!

Room Tip: The Eldon Rooms were a nice size although mine (317) did not have a great view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tillybean17
Dear Tillybean17,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your lovely feedback. I was thrilled to read that you such a great time when you stayed.

We have only been open for 18 months which may be why taxi drivers are a little unfamiliar with the hotel.

With regards to the milk and the soft drinks, I have asked our Housekeeping team to ensure the stocks of these are checked and replenished daily so this does not occur again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you return.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

South Place Hotel is gorgeous with great service and a wonderful location. The staff could not have been more helpful, the food and cocktails were amazing and great value. Brilliant place to spend the weekend and visit the local sights like Borough Market etc. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear TravelOption,

I was delighted to read your kind comments, and thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. Our team were thrilled to learn that you had such a great time when you stayed.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon, whether for an overnight stay, or a visit to one of our restaurants or bars.

Leigh-on-Sea, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Visited as part of a group of 16 who were dining in a private room. The service was attentive and the food was wonderful. We were very well looked after at all times. I strongly recommend the scallops as a starter, this is a signature dish.

Dining room are named after characters from old spy films / tv series. So there is the Solo Room and the Kiriyakin Room (both "Man from UNCLE"), Peel Room, Steed Room and Purdey Room (Avengers) and the Le Chiffre Room (Bond).

The only odd thing is the private dining rooms are on the first floor while the toilets are on the ground floor.

Certainly one to consider if putting together a private function.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Simon_in_Legh,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write your comments. I was glad to read that you had an excellent time when you dined at the hotel and hope that we will see you here again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

From the first review I found for this hotel I fell in love and knew i had to book it! The hotel was amazingly beautiful. The bathroom was exceptional and a key selling point.

I would 100% book this hotel again!

The staff were friendly and helpful and recommended dinning options for the evening.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mamtaxx,

Thank you very much for your kind words, I was really pleased to read that you had such a great time when you stayed.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon, whether that is for an overnight stay or to visit one of our restaurants or bars.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My boyfriend took me to this hotel for valentines day and I was over the moon. The hotel is lovely and the staff were so friendly and welcoming.

The room was lush with a huge bath and marble style walls and falls. The lighting is also something I quite liked as it gave a nice romantic feeling to the room.

Ice was brought up to us minutes after we rang room service for it and they did't charge for it as well as glasses are ready waiting in the draw, layed out nicely.

I would definately recommend this hotel, absolutely brilliant place.

Room Tip: I imagine all the rooms were nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Elena N,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback, I was so pleased to read that you chose South Place Hotel for a special occasion and has such a great time when you stayed.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIPs. The wonderful front of house staff kept us entertained and treated us with absolute courtesy. Clearly they enjoy their jobs and were keen to engage in witty although respectful banter. Superb.

The room was lovely. Not massive. Not overly indulgent but perfect and ticked the boxes for us. Fabulous double bath and a super start to a romantic evening. We chose to stay and eat in the hotel and the food and service were great. ( we ate downstairs) Again we were made to feel important and as if nothing was too much trouble.

Would defenately recommend to anyone and everyone for w lovely sumptuous evening. Breakfast was lovely and whilst not the cheapest, it won top marks for us because of the ease of location and ambience. Free papers too.

Wonderful

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dea UkBronte,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was delighted to learn that you had such a nice time when you stayed at South Place Hotel and were able to explore the restaurants and bars.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.