“Best hotel expirience ever!”
Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #40 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Bo I Telemark, Norway
“Best hotel expirience ever!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We were going to London last weekend in November, unaware of that it was Halloween weekend. Our choice was the South Place hotel, with many good reviews. When we booked the South Place Hotel, we were informed of a giant Halloween party that hotel would arrange. So we thought it would be exciting. The problem was that we should stay in London for several days, and acctually would prefer to have a quiet room (my wife is senstive to noise). So we asket for a quiet room, and the hotel even got our room upgraded to a studio appartment without any extra charge! Unfortunately this studio appt was right under the hotel restaurant and one could hear some noise from there until late at night. For this reason the first night we didn't get a good night sleep, despite the excellent beds and binds. One could also here some trafic noise from the street. It's just that for people who are sensitive to noise, it could be enoght to keep them awake.. So we had to tell about this, and breakfast was on the hotel! (after some negotiations with the cafe's manager). But the hotel was more than willing to solve the problem, and they offered us another room . They had a spare room downstairs facing the courtyard, away from the traafic noise and restaurant. The downside was that the courtyard was the focal point for the Halloween party later the same evening. So the hotel stretched out as far as to offer us a room at another hotel , without any extra charge! What a service! Never before have we expirienced anything like that! :))) So we moved partially out of the hotel the night of the Halloween party at the Hotel South Place, and moved into the hotel Andaz, about 700 m away. The Halloween party at the South Place Hotel was awesome too, by the way! And later we had a quiet night at Andaz hotel :) The next day we moved into the second room at the South Place Hotel. The room was smaller than before, but it was okay and we even got complementory bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate! Unfortunately for us, some people in the room next to ours had troubles getting into their room (their electronic door lock didn't work). We experienced some noise and thumping in the wall right next to our room as far as til 1:30 at night... :/ It was something the hotel should have some better rutines to deal with, maybe fix it a little bit faster, instead of pulling the handle for hours... I'm also thinking of people who couldn't get into their room in the middle of the night! But, all in all, we have to say that we have never experienced being received on such a good way, and treated with such respect at any time! In a very positive way all the time! And not to mention that they were open to solve the smallest problem that customers would experience. So here is a good example of what customer care should be like! And we had to tell about that to the rest of the wolrd :)
Other things: the food at the restaurant was just fabulous, as the stiling of the rooms and the bath tub's confort.. You can just feel the quality through and through :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Harald K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was sorry to hear that your stay was not completely satisfactory, but very glad that the team were able to resolve the issues you experienced.

Music is a hugely important part of the hotel and our parties have become renowned for the great quality artists who have played here since we opened. I can appreciate however that it may not be everyone's cup of tea and we will always advise guests about parties prior to their arrival.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Warm regards
Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Suffolk
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of March and could not have been more impressed. The whole experience was excellent. It was my partners 40th which i told tehm in advance and they added some lovely touches to our weekend with a little cake on arrival and a glass of champagne at breakfast, with nearly every staff member wishing him a happy birthday! The rooms are fabulous - we had a south place room - the bath is huge which is a great bonus and all the automated, lighting, blinds etc makes for an extra special stay. Each room looks cool and stylish but is comfy and inviting and have water/coffee and tea/ minibar/safe etc - all the elements you expect. The hotel is 2 mins from Liverpool St and Moorgate - so easy to get in to central London but a nicer, quieter area to return back to at the weekends. The food we had was delicious and in the evenings the bars and restaurants were buzzing so a great mix of atmospheres. We really, really enjoyed our time here - it is an eclectic, super stylish, luxury treat and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fluffychuffy
Dear Fluffychuffy,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I was delighted to read that you chose South Place Hotel for such a special occasion, and that you had a great time when you stayed. Our team are very proud of the great service they provide to each and every guest and were really pleased to read your comments.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

After a business drinks event, our team went to 3 South Place Bar & Grill for dinner. It's one of two restaurants attached to this new modern hotel in a area without one. Near Liverpool Street and Moorgate station. Attentive service throughout, lovely food, with a whole page of different steaks, also a tasty cheeseburger. Noise level was at a medium level, so good background buzz, but we could still hold a conversation without having to shout across the table.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Linda1027,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, I was delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and dinner at 3 South Place Bar & Grill.

I hope we can see you at the hotel again very soon.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Having done a lot of background leg work to find a suitable hotel for my four night return to London (having been away from the city for 6+ years), I came across the South Place Hotel. Whilst the reviews were good, I wanted to make sure that it was the right place for me, so I made a quick call and got a fantastic reservation guy who was incredibly helpful and very chatty and satisfied all my questions - so I booked for the four nights.

Having arrived at the hotel (which some taxi drivers still find a little difficult to find), from the moment I checked in, to today when I checked out I can only compliment this hotel. The front desk staff are attentive and kind, and certainly make everything very easy.

I had paid for the standard Dominion Room, but was given an upgrade to an Eldon Room (room 317) and absolutely loved having the extra space, the wonderful double shower in the bathroom and the nice touches such as a Nespresso machine.

The room was quiet and didnt suffer from any noise issues and had everything that you could possibly need. The complimentary products in decent sized bottles, the vanity kits, the sumptuous towels - everything was great.

I used the bar on the ground floor extensively and found it to be very welcoming and inclusive. The DJ was good and not over powering, and the buzz of the bar was great. The cocktails were all made extremely well and were competitively priced.

I used room service and was very impressed with the quality of the food and the speed of service.

I also had dinner in The Angler with friends (and have done a separate review) but suffice to say the food and service were excellent, and I thought priced correctly for the quality and quantity.

I really enjoyed my stay at South Place, and found all the staff that I met to be very helpful and cheery, especially the guys who are outside opening the doors in all weathers and at all times.

My only niggle - and it really is only a silly niggle - was that the complimentary fresh milk was not replaced and I had to request new milk, and also the complimentary soft drinks from the mini bar were not replaced even though I was staying for four nights.

The ease of walking to either Moorgate or to Liverpool Street means that it is very accessible and you are able to visit all parts of London easily.

I absolutely loved my stay and will be booking for a return trip in four weeks. Whilst it is not the cheapest hotel in London, the advance prices are not over the top and are reflective of the quality of the hotel and the copious amounts of staff who ensure that nothing is too much trouble.

Great hotel, great location...just great!

Room Tip: The Eldon Rooms were a nice size although mine (317) did not have a great view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tillybean17
Dear Tillybean17,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your lovely feedback. I was thrilled to read that you such a great time when you stayed.

We have only been open for 18 months which may be why taxi drivers are a little unfamiliar with the hotel.

With regards to the milk and the soft drinks, I have asked our Housekeeping team to ensure the stocks of these are checked and replenished daily so this does not occur again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you return.

London
Reviewed 27 February 2014

South Place Hotel is gorgeous with great service and a wonderful location. The staff could not have been more helpful, the food and cocktails were amazing and great value. Brilliant place to spend the weekend and visit the local sights like Borough Market etc. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear TravelOption,

I was delighted to read your kind comments, and thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. Our team were thrilled to learn that you had such a great time when you stayed.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon, whether for an overnight stay, or a visit to one of our restaurants or bars.

Leigh-on-Sea, England
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Visited as part of a group of 16 who were dining in a private room. The service was attentive and the food was wonderful. We were very well looked after at all times. I strongly recommend the scallops as a starter, this is a signature dish.

Dining room are named after characters from old spy films / tv series. So there is the Solo Room and the Kiriyakin Room (both "Man from UNCLE"), Peel Room, Steed Room and Purdey Room (Avengers) and the Le Chiffre Room (Bond).

The only odd thing is the private dining rooms are on the first floor while the toilets are on the ground floor.

Certainly one to consider if putting together a private function.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Simon_in_Legh,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write your comments. I was glad to read that you had an excellent time when you dined at the hotel and hope that we will see you here again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

From the first review I found for this hotel I fell in love and knew i had to book it! The hotel was amazingly beautiful. The bathroom was exceptional and a key selling point.

I would 100% book this hotel again!

The staff were friendly and helpful and recommended dinning options for the evening.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mamtaxx,

Thank you very much for your kind words, I was really pleased to read that you had such a great time when you stayed.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon, whether that is for an overnight stay or to visit one of our restaurants or bars.