“Trendy hotel, excellent service, great food and brilliant venue for a party!”
Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #37 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Trendy hotel, excellent service, great food and brilliant venue for a party!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We spent a Saturday night here with 12 family members to celebrate my Dad's 60th birthday. It was superb. The hotel itself is new and trendy but still atmospheric and cosy. It was buzzy all weekend but without being in your face. The rooms are lovely and a reasonable price for central London 5* at less than £200. The bed was exceptionally comfy and the bath could have fit 4 of us!

We had the 'red room' for our birthday dinner which is a private dining room that I'd highly recommend with a huge round red table that all 12 of us sat comfortably around. The service was excellent and the staff tried so hard to make our event memorable. My fathers room was upgraded and all of the staff involved in the planning were superb.

We went for a £45 a head 3 course menu and all of the food was of a very high standard. The only gripe at all was that there was a limited selection of wines at the cheaper end and I thought £40 for the cheapest bottle of sparkling (prosecco) was a bit steep.
However apart from paying the bill we all had a really wonderful weekend and I will be back to try the other restaurants!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gooldie
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Gooldie,

Thank you so much for your review, I was delighted that you chose South Place Hotel for such a special occasion and that you had such a great time during the dinner and the hotel stay.

I hope we will see you in one of our restaurants or bars soon.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

What can I say about this hotel? I love it! Egyptian cotton bedding, Jing Tea, marble bathrooms, brunch cooked to perfection, incredibly polite and helpful staff and super fast room service. Despite my room being opposite some temporary building works, the windows are completely soundproofed and so I slept like a baby. I cannot fault this hotel - it's just splendid, splendid, splendid. Looking forward to my next trip back so I can enjoy the fabulous roof terrace and cocktails.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GrainneBraithwaite
Dear GrainneBraithwaite,

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again really soon.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was one of the best hotel experiences of my life. I've been now traveling for work every other week for about a month and half. When I was told I had to go to London, I decided to book my trip one day earlier to have some time to explore the city on my own. I found this hotel in TripAdvisor and booked thru booking.com.
From the get go, everything went amazingly well, the staff is so friendly and attentive. I had made a comment in my reservation that I would be coming in early (around 10 am) and even though my room wasnt ready, the lady who was helping me check in did everything in her power to get me a room straight away. By mistake she used the card that I had used to pay online to cover for any accidentals which it wasnt a big problem but she made sure of explaining me what will happen and made me feel safe that all my information was protected. Her boss gave her sort of hard time, which I didn't appreciate because I was obviously well taken care of.
The other two amazing people that work here are Saul and the other Spanish gentleman with whom I had such lovely conversations. They were not only friendly and attentive, helpful and very natural. I hope the hotel knows how fortunate they are of counting with people that make guests feel confortable and at ease.
I got the smallest room which was still very large and impecable. I would have no doubts of staying here given the chance of coming back to London.
I only went to the bar once and had a Pisco Sour... not the best I've had but still OK.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear patito8796,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review, I was very pleased to read your kind words, coming as they are from a seasoned traveller. Our people are our greatest asset and take great pride in proving the highest standard of service to all of our guests, so it is very satisfying to read comments such as yours.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

After doing some online research and this hotel always coming out on top as one that met our criteria - 5*, gym, good location, less than £400 for the weekend - my boyfriend booked this for us from Friday to Sunday last weekend, unbeknownst to me that he was planning to propose on Saturday. :)

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by the friendliest doorman who immediately took my bag from me and showed us in. The receptionist was so friendly and was fully aware of who we were as my boyfriend had notified them of his intention to propose to me before our arrival. She ensured that we had a fabulous inwards facing room and showed us up to our room herself. After she had taken us through the room and it's amenities, we had a chance to really take in the room. The standard of everything in it is just amazing - Nespresso machine, Dualit toaster and kettle, Bang & Olufsen TV, VIPP toilet accessories (I'm female, I notice things like this:)) as well as a complete glass selection for drinks and other things you may need, like robes, an umbrella and even sunglasses (for purchase) in the room! :) Other little extras included free water and apples in the room and a turn down service if you wanted it. The bathroom had a huge walk in double shower and bath, complete with quality toiletries.

The location was great for us. Yes, it's not completely central but with Liverpool street station a 2 min walk away, you dont need to be any closer to central London. Plus, we quite like the peacefulness of it.

We had already booked the hotel's very own Michelin star restaurant, Angler, for dinner that evening and were not disappointed at all. The service and quality were both outstanding.

Breakfast is not a buffet but it has a very extensive menu, again all very delicious and great value. Due to the location of the hotel, it's not terribly busy at the weekend so breakfast was a very peaceful affair which is just what we like - instead of the usual free-for-all you get in most hotels.

The hotel has a very well equipped gym, games rooms and library on the first floor as well 2 bars and another restaurant on the ground floor. There was a DJ playing on the Friday night and a real buzz in the bar.

Now for where the hotel exceeded expectations and then some! My boyfriend proposed to me during the day on Saturday. When we got back to the hotel late afternoon, Alex, the duty manager, congratulated us as soon as we walked in and then ushered us into the bar for complimentary champagne. We then went out for dinner that evening - we didn't have a great experience at the restaurant that we went to and wish we'd stayed at the hotel again but when we came back and went to our room, I walked in to find the bed and bath covered in roses, roses in a glass, a chocolate brownie with 'congratulations' written underneath it, a bottle of pink champagne (my favourite) and two cards from the hotel, one of which was signed by all the members of staff there - it was such an amazing thing to come back to, I was very emotional! :) My boyfriend said that he had only requested roses and champagne, the rest was their doing. On checking out, we saw that they didn't charge us for any of it - not even the champagne!

We had such an amazing stay we were genuinely quite sad to leave. The team made us feel so welcome and it was only on Sunday that I realised they were all in on it and how much planning had gone into it. They were almost as excited as we were about us being engaged and said they love it when things like this happen in their hotel. They kept reminding us to come back. :)

Thank you to Alex and all the staff there and to the big bosses that empower their staff to go out of their way to give customers an exceptional and personalised experience. We could not have picked a more perfect hotel for our weekend away and as it turns out, for our engagement weekend - this hotel and the people that work there made it even more perfect.

We will definitely be coming back. In fact, we love it so much, we're seriously thinking of holding our wedding celebrations there. :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicki R
Dear Boo-Bell,

Firstly let me congratulate you on your engagement! I would also like to thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. I was really pleased that your fiancé chose South Place Hotel for such a special occasion, and that you had such a great time when you stayed.

Of course we would be delighted if you celebrated your wedding here, and the hotel is in fact fully licensed to hold wedding ceremonies. Our Events team will be happy to help with any questions you may have so please feel free to contact them on - events@southplacehotel.com.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed here for my husband's birthday last month, and loved it. We are particular, and there just wasn't anything this hotel hasn't considered thoroughly. The room is incredibly comfortable, with lots of fun details like in room toast, full bars, great amenities. The staff is knowledgeable, professional, and extremely friendly. The only less than perfect note was the food in the downstairs restaurant. We had a dinner party for ten, and the reviews of food were mostly underwhelming. Not terrible, mind you (except the chocolate cake), just expected more based on how perfectly executed everything else was, and the fact that the owners are restauranteurs. The Angler was closed for the holiday, so we didn't get a chance to eat there, unfortunately. Location was convenient and perfect. Overall, can't imagine staying anywhere else in London from now on.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear aerolosnageles,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon and that you are able to try Angler upon your next visit.

Bo I Telemark, Norway
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We were going to London last weekend in November, unaware of that it was Halloween weekend. Our choice was the South Place hotel, with many good reviews. When we booked the South Place Hotel, we were informed of a giant Halloween party that hotel would arrange. So we thought it would be exciting. The problem was that we should stay in London for several days, and acctually would prefer to have a quiet room (my wife is senstive to noise). So we asket for a quiet room, and the hotel even got our room upgraded to a studio appartment without any extra charge! Unfortunately this studio appt was right under the hotel restaurant and one could hear some noise from there until late at night. For this reason the first night we didn't get a good night sleep, despite the excellent beds and binds. One could also here some trafic noise from the street. It's just that for people who are sensitive to noise, it could be enoght to keep them awake.. So we had to tell about this, and breakfast was on the hotel! (after some negotiations with the cafe's manager). But the hotel was more than willing to solve the problem, and they offered us another room . They had a spare room downstairs facing the courtyard, away from the traafic noise and restaurant. The downside was that the courtyard was the focal point for the Halloween party later the same evening. So the hotel stretched out as far as to offer us a room at another hotel , without any extra charge! What a service! Never before have we expirienced anything like that! :))) So we moved partially out of the hotel the night of the Halloween party at the Hotel South Place, and moved into the hotel Andaz, about 700 m away. The Halloween party at the South Place Hotel was awesome too, by the way! And later we had a quiet night at Andaz hotel :) The next day we moved into the second room at the South Place Hotel. The room was smaller than before, but it was okay and we even got complementory bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate! Unfortunately for us, some people in the room next to ours had troubles getting into their room (their electronic door lock didn't work). We experienced some noise and thumping in the wall right next to our room as far as til 1:30 at night... :/ It was something the hotel should have some better rutines to deal with, maybe fix it a little bit faster, instead of pulling the handle for hours... I'm also thinking of people who couldn't get into their room in the middle of the night! But, all in all, we have to say that we have never experienced being received on such a good way, and treated with such respect at any time! In a very positive way all the time! And not to mention that they were open to solve the smallest problem that customers would experience. So here is a good example of what customer care should be like! And we had to tell about that to the rest of the wolrd :)
Other things: the food at the restaurant was just fabulous, as the stiling of the rooms and the bath tub's confort.. You can just feel the quality through and through :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Harald K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was sorry to hear that your stay was not completely satisfactory, but very glad that the team were able to resolve the issues you experienced.

Music is a hugely important part of the hotel and our parties have become renowned for the great quality artists who have played here since we opened. I can appreciate however that it may not be everyone's cup of tea and we will always advise guests about parties prior to their arrival.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Warm regards
Suffolk
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of March and could not have been more impressed. The whole experience was excellent. It was my partners 40th which i told tehm in advance and they added some lovely touches to our weekend with a little cake on arrival and a glass of champagne at breakfast, with nearly every staff member wishing him a happy birthday! The rooms are fabulous - we had a south place room - the bath is huge which is a great bonus and all the automated, lighting, blinds etc makes for an extra special stay. Each room looks cool and stylish but is comfy and inviting and have water/coffee and tea/ minibar/safe etc - all the elements you expect. The hotel is 2 mins from Liverpool St and Moorgate - so easy to get in to central London but a nicer, quieter area to return back to at the weekends. The food we had was delicious and in the evenings the bars and restaurants were buzzing so a great mix of atmospheres. We really, really enjoyed our time here - it is an eclectic, super stylish, luxury treat and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fluffychuffy
Dear Fluffychuffy,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I was delighted to read that you chose South Place Hotel for such a special occasion, and that you had a great time when you stayed. Our team are very proud of the great service they provide to each and every guest and were really pleased to read your comments.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again very soon.