“Great, but with a few blemishes”
Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #42 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Chicago
“Great, but with a few blemishes”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

For starters, the hotel has many great attributes. Clean, modern, outstanding comforters and beds. The staff is exceedingly nice and willing to help. Our room was quiet, pitch black at night and with complimentary coffees and teas.
It's location is difficult to describe. It's extremely convenient, with close access to the Liverpool and Moorgate Tube stops, but the "neighborhood" is completely void of any charm. It's in a sterile business district, with few restaurants, unless you cross through the Liverpool station to Bishops Gate. Although it's not their fault, I would have preferred a more central location to the sites. That said, I am conflicted about the location, as I spent 5 days there and minded the location less and less as time went on.
One last criticism is the knowledge of the staff. As I mentioned, they couldn't have been nicer, but only a small minority knew anything about London, its sites and the local transportation. Most of my questions required the staff to Google the answer. I began to realize that I could answer the questions faster myself. I think that most of the staff are novices at their job, but will improve with time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mb1Chicago
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear mb1Chicago,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was delighted to read that your stay at South Place Hotel was so enjoyable.

Although the hotel is situated in the City, which as you say can be a little quiet at times; we are only a short walk away from vibrant and lively areas such as Shoreditch, Spitalfields and Old Street, as well as tourist attractions such as the Tower of London and St Paul’s Cathedral.

I am sorry that you felt that staff knowledge was not as good as it could have been. I have spoken with our Head Concierge who will organise cross training between the Front Desk and Concierge teams to ensure that in future they are fully up to speed.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed here just last night after reading good reviews on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed.

We arrived after checking in time and our room was ready. Very warm welcome which was nice, and not judged for being young and a little sweaty from a hot day's travel. We were also immediately poured a very welcomed cold non alcoholic drink, although our room booking did come with VIP amenities but still, it was a nice surprise.

Quickly checked in and shown to our room, shown around the room quickly but efficiently and you really couldn't ask for more. A fantastic choice of drinks and snacks, fantastic decor, gorgeous bathroom with a wonderfully huge double shower, plenty of complimentary toiletries, a Nespresso for coffee and kettle for tea (actually preferred the Nespresso machine here to our Nespresso one at home!). What else, just everything really you could ask for, slippers, bath robes, hair dryer. Wonderfully comfortable bed, I was actually a bit concerned about the softness of the bed, Hungarian Goose I think it was but I slept very well! We also appreciated the smaller touches like a hand written welcome message from the manager.

If I struggled to find gripes I would probably say the room was quite hot on arrival, air con sorted this but I get very dry with air con so it would have been nice to have been able to have opened the window but it seemed locked? Also the touch buttons were a little unresponsive on occasions but a novelty none the less. That's the level of my complaints though, everything else was just perfect, oh apart from the knife to cut the lemon and lime lol, way too blunt! Made a right mess of the lemon!!

We'd booked a table at the 3 South Place restaurant which I will also review here as it's a part of the hotel. Sadly I wasn't blown away with the restaurant. Very noisy from the adjacent bar, lots of after work people drinking, I also noticed the noise from the terrace in our room but this was quiet by the time we had gone back to our room. The restaurant didn't feel very relaxing, staff very friendly though but food just average really, nothing special, tasty but nothing amazing. Wine was also not the best I've drunk before so wished we'd booked the Angler restaurant, maybe next time, but then we can't say how good it is. I also experienced another blunt knife problem with my rib-eye steak, seems they need to sharpen their knives! lol Also the seating was a little uncomfortable as my husband had a normal chair but I was on a sofa which was a little too low compared to the table so I got backache a bit but now I'm just moaning really.

We did head to the adjacent bar after our meal though to try some cocktails, expensive of course but they were very good! Nice setting, nice lighting, liked the bar a lot actually.

Breakfast was in the 3 South Place restaurant again and sadly had a repeat experience of a noisy setting but this time from someone who insisted on having a rather loud conversation with his colleague about mortgages and pensions right next to us, tables are quite close you see but the food was very nice and I managed to get the husband to sit on the sofa this time. Again friendly staff who bought out coffee and juice quickly. I ordered the salmon and scrambled egg which was tasty, but the coffee was quite bitter. Also my toast was taken away before I'd finished because I had finished my salmon and egg but I'd planed to have it with some jam rather than with the egg and salmon which annoyed me a bit but all in all was ok.

Didn't try any other facilities so can't comment on those. Location wise, perfect, just a minutes walk from the nearest tube Moorgate, easy to find.

Check out was quick, again very friendly, lovely staff so over-all a fantastic nights stay, loved the hotel part and the bar but may eat elsewhere next time or try the other restaurant. Spent way too much but had a great time all in all. Nice to be welcomed so much and have some quality us time. Would recommend definitely.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear its-all-about-travel,

Thank you so much for your review, we really appreciate you taking the time to leave such detailed feedback. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I hope we can welcome you at the hotel again soon, when you can try Angler.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We wanted to stay in our favourite London hotel, but concerned taking our 4 year old, to a place which is hip, cool & trendy, in the middle of the city.
Concerned should have been the furthest thought from our minds.
The trip was to show our 4 year old the great city of London. Where the Queen lives, the Zoo, the Underground etc.....
On entering the hotel, it was like being among friends & family. Never have I experienced such genuine warmth, hospitality & friendship to a 4 year old, in a hotel of this high calibre.
Truly wonderful staff.
After a hard Friday of tripping round London, back to the hotel for an early evening drink. The place was already buzzing with the City Slickers, & cool hipsters.
Would we be okay sitting on the fringes of a frenetic Friday night crowd? No worries. They even came to sit with us, to see what our little girl was colouring in.
We ate outside the hotel, at a family friendly Italian, 5 mins walk from the hotel. Recommended by the reception staff. Perfect for us.
We had two nights here, & by the time we left, our 4 year old did not want to leave.
I have reviewed this hotel before, & it still hits the high notes.
After this visit, I do not know what hotel in the world could better this kind of hospitality.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AFrogson
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear nunx,

Thank you so much for leaving another lovely review, I was delighted that you and your family returned for another great stay and that we now have a new fan of South Place Hotel.

Our team were so pleased to read you kind words and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our first anniversary. Great hotel, location is really good near Liverpool Street station. The deco is fantastic, very artistic and clean. The room was very good, comfortable, every detail was looked at: the service, decoration, food and drinks. Highly recommended

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malaky_shish
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Malaky_shish,

Thank you very much for choosing South Place Hotel to celebrate your anniversary and for taking the time to leave your feedback; I was delighted to read your comments.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

stylish, sleek, classy and friendly too!

ive visited many 5 star hotels all over the world and had different experiences, sometimes people can be snooty or a little stuck up at these places but i found that at the south place hotel they instantly made us feel welcome and valued. there is a fun and friendly concierge who showed us to our room, which was plush and modern with a great choice of drinks from the mini bar including sipsmiths gin and vodka. the hotel is bang on trend and one step ahead of many 5 star hotel, they have style and luxury neatly packaged and presented for a very reasonable price too! im a very happy customer :-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mishellyx
Dear Mishellyx,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your very kind feedback, I was really pleased to read the comments of such a well-travelled guest.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I am going to London quite regularly and as such I have seen quite a few hotels in the past years. This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in so far, no question. It is modern, contemporarily designed in a playful, unobtrusive way, squeaky clean, very friendly and as a bonus it has a Michelin-star restaurant on the top floor which in itself is worth to going there. I enjoyed the way the receptionist took her time explaining everything in the room to me and felt treated a bit like royalty. The room was large (remember, it's London) and equipped with everything one could possibly need, even sunglasses. The spa is as new and shiny as the rest of the place and the bar does not let the side down either. I think I have found my place in London now. I will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OliverJavert
Dear OliverJavert,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, I was delighted that you found your stay at South Place Hotel so enjoyable and were able to try Angler.

I hope we will welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We were celebrating an important anniversary and the staff were brilliant. We got upgraded to a ELDON room, a personalised card from the staff and some extra goodies in the room.The Duty Manager Alex made our stay! From the moment we checked in to the moment we left, he ensured we were exceptionally looked after.The room was amazing! Superb toiletries and lots of lovely little touches. Breakfast had a really good variety of items to choose from. Each time we came and left the hotel we were greeted and asked how our day was and if we needed anything. Thank you once again for an amzing stay! Looking forward to going again as soon as possible.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Peter A,

Thank you so much for choosing South Place Hotel to celebrate your anniversary and for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay.

I hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again soon.