“Highly recommended”

Ranked #40 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Was convinced to book this hotel because of great tripadvisor reviews and it did not dissapoint. Highly recommended. Fab experience from start to finish. Loved the modern decor and gadgetry in the room. Staff were geniune, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank psycho_beck
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear psycho_beck

Thank you very much for leaving such a positive review.

I was so glad to read that our fantastic Tripadvisor reviews were the reason you chose South Place Hotel and that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to South Place Hotel in the future.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
North Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel is off the charts; Service is excellent, rooms are brand new, beautiful, perfectly appointed (modern but not tacky), the bed was super comfortable, and the bathroom was one of the nicest I've seen...HUGE shower with two rain-heads, double vanity, awesome bath products, and one of the only hotel tubs that I've actually considered using (was spotless, deep, large, and super inviting).

Only potential drawback was the location. Right in the business district, and although close to two tube stations, there wasn't a lot to do or see within close walking distance.

Breakfast was very good, but super expensive. As soon as we walked in we were offered fresh oj (at 4 quid a glass)...It was good, but they must have come back 3 or 4 times to offer more (at an additional 4 quid), which was off-putting. We had 1 glass of oj, 2 coffees, scrambled eggs with toast, and hash with a poached egg, and it was over 30 pounds...London prices and good quality aside, $50 USD is a lot of money for a small, modest breakfast.

Dear Mojua

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay here.

Whilst the hotel is not in the heart of the tourist district, we are only a short distance from sites such as the Tower of London, St Pauls Cathedral and Tate Modern. All other attractions are easily accessible using the tube stations close by. Our concierge team are more than happy to provide any information and directions needed.

I hope we can welcome you back to South Place Hotel again soon.

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here due to work commitments and the location was ideal for this reason. I booked in earlier than my wife and after half an hour of being at the hotel I realised I needed to cancel a second hotel that we had arranged for across London on the Sunday and book a further night. It was £200 a night and frankly at that price for the service alone was worth it!!
The facilities were fantastic and we had a kings room - reasonably modest but they had thought of everything. Beyond the roof top restaurant and seating area (great in the sun) the bars, gym, and all the other fabulous touches was the first class service. Every member of staff we met was excellent and especially Dennis (from the concierge desk) and Angel
(head barman?). They were exceptional and made our stay.
We will certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Matt L

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.

Our staff work very hard to ensure high levels of customer service at all times and I will certainly be passing your kind comments onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, whether you return to London for business or pleasure.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed there on a weekend, good value for money 5* hotel. Rooms are modern but pretty small with all the mod cons, good bar with a great atmosphere. Concierge were very helpful. Only bad experience was the room service who did not speak much English and got our order wrong twice. Luckily we stayed there on a weekend as there was lots of construction work going on outside which would have disturbed our sleep had it been active on a weekday.

Dear Dan H

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at South Place Hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and were able to have a drink in our bar.

I am sorry to hear of the communication issues with our staff, please be assured I have spoken to the Room Service team and training will be provided to avoid any future confusion.

I do hope we can welcome you back to South Place Hotel in the future.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I recently spent three nights at South Place and absolutely loved it. The location gave us great access to the Tube but also allowed us to easily walk to places of interest in London. The room itself was beautiful, as was the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. The gym was perfectly adequate for our needs and the steam/sauna were an added bonus.

We enjoyed an anniversary dinner in the hotel's Angler restaurant -- a Michelin-started restaurant atop the hotel. Amazing! Service was impeccable and the food was fantastic. It made for a very special evening.

What made our experience remarkable was the overall service. The staff are very attentive but also very welcoming. They go out of their way to make you comfortable.

We will definitely make this our go-to hotel for London trips ... business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Corner suites are fabulous!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear CASilva

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, I was delighted to read that you chose South Place Hotel to celebrate your anniversary.

Our team were so pleased to read your lovely comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to South Place Hotel in the future when you revisit London.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Spent 3 nights at the South Place Hotel on a business trip based on the reviews on this site. We were not disappointed. The room was fantastic. The bed was super comfortable and the room very quiet. The service was impeccable. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rich G
Dear Rich G

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback.

We pride ourselves on customer satisfaction and to learn of your pleasurable stay is very rewarding for us.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in London.

London
Reviewed 30 May 2014

South Place Hotel is only 2 blocks from my office and 2 miles from my house, so I never thought I would end up staying there. But when my boyfriend had to have emergency eye surgery, he decided to stay at SPH for a few days, to be near to Moorfields Eye Hospital and staying somewhere where he didn’t need to use the stairs.

We ended up staying there for 3 nights, using both room service and the main restaurant (getting a reservation at the Angler on the weekend was impossible even for guests) and moving between rooms each night. Highlights:

- Although the rooms were small, they were by and large brilliantly designed, with nice touches. Blackout blinds covering the whole window. A toaster so you can toast your room service toast, rather than having soggy toast. Fresh milk in the fridge for your tea. Control panels with icons for the lights, so you don’t spend ages trying to figure out which switch is for which light. Generously sized toiletries. The ultimate was the hairdryer – in the closet, but there was a mirror on the back of the door and an outlet next to the drawer it was in, so you could use it right there.

- I would have gone completely nuts being trapped in a hotel room for three days, but the staff took good care of my boyfriend when I escaped to go to work or just for a few hours. They sent someone to help him move rooms, or to figure out how to get the radio on the TV so he could listen to music. They even sent a girl every two hours to give him his eye drops!

At the end of three days, my boyfriend was very reluctant to leave, so they gave us a late checkout of 1pm.

Throughout it all the staff were very accommodating and considerate of my boyfriend’s situation. The only real problems were that the menus got a bit repetitive (because we were stuck with one restaurant) and the design of the hotel didn’t have enough contrast for someone with a sight problem, but I doubt that would be a problem for anyone else!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Zoodle

Thank you for your recent stay at South Place Hotel and for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay despite the unusual circumstances. I hope your boyfriend has now recovered from his operation.

Our team pride themselves on providing each and every guest with exceptional service and were delighted to read your kind words.

Being one of our close neighbours, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon, whether that is for an overnight stay or dinner and drinks in one of our restaurants.