“Love this hotel!”

Ranked #40 of 1,063 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Love this hotel!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I had the pleasure to stay at the hotel for five days and I enjoyed my experience very much! Everything at this hotel is top notch: new, very chic and modern, and extremely comfortable. In the hotel industry lingo, this is a high quality product! There are many hotel options in London, international chain or boutique/independent. I stayed in a few different ones, and I find South Place is truly a good balance between price and value and a high quality hotel. The room is exquisite in a modern, chic yet comfortable way (and very clean, roomy and bright; and you get free and reliable wi-fi!). The staffs are very helpful and friendly. The location is at the heart of financial district and right across the street from Mark & Spencer store where you can buy pre-made food, beverages, and fresh fruits and produce. That is a big convenience! I also want to mention that the the hotel is owned by a famous restaurant group in London. The restaurant is a Michelin starred on the roof top. I really regret not having the opportunity to try it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Aquavit28
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Aquavit28,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

Your comments are very kind and I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future when you can try Angler.

Bruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Beautiful, new ,modern hotel. Great location- 2 mins to Moorgate and 3-4 mins to Liverpool street. Our room was very quiet, spacious.Good minibar! Spacious, beautiful bathrooms,with huge bathtub and double shower heads.Room was well thought out,with lots of plugs ec. Four of us travelling- older kids in a room with two twin beds and ourselves in a king, we had asked for connecting room, and was convenient as we were at the end of a corridor with a huge door which blocked of the end of the corridor so we could prop open the doors to the rooms, they gave us wedges for the doors. It made for a very spacious space, my only criticism of this is that whilst it was a locked door, with its own keypad etc, this outer door was not a solid door- it was two hinged doors pulled together- I could pull it open whilst locked which I found odd. This meant we slept with our actual bedroom doors shut and shut them when out, which was ok for us as our kids are 20 and 14 but with young children I would have been worried.I think it should be an easy fix and is my only criticism. Staff were very friendly /helpful, food excellent but quite expensive.
Overall, I love this hotel and would definitely look to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lazigirl
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear lazigirl

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your comments.

I was thrilled to read you loved the hotel and that your family had an enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the issue you experienced with the interconnecting doors. The doors can be locked securely by means of a floor bolt system on the smaller leaf. I have addressed this issue with the relevant departments to ensure that all staff are reminded how to lock the interconnecting doors securely to avoid any future problems.

I very much hope to get the chance to welcome you back to South Place in the very near future.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at the South Place Hotel for 2 nights over July 4th. The design of the hotel is gorgeous. When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly and welcoming staff. Check in was quick and easy, we were then escorted to our room by Oliver who gave us a tour of the hotel and our room amenities. Can I just say...WOW. We were very impressed with all of the modern touches and loved our room. The only downside was the construction which our room was facing since our window was directly across from the construction site. However, the blackout shades worked pretty well for blocking out some of the noise and we were up and out so early that it really didn't bother us that much. By the time we got back to our room it was done for the day. Note: definitely request a room facing the back of the hotel if you plan on relaxing in your room during the day. We ate lunch and splurged on room service one night from the restaurant, delicious. We had drinks at the bar and listed to the DJ, met a few friendly locals, very enjoyable. The staff assisted with guiding my husband and I on London sights, again Oliver was amazing help here. And, the most important part, the hotel is a quick walk to either Moorgate or Liverpool train stations. It was perfect, we weren't in the middle of all the touristy stuff (the hotel is in a business area) but it was so convenient to get around that it really didn't matter. I would definitely stay here again. The service was impeccable. Don't hesitate...book it!

Room Tip: If you book while the construction is going on, request a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mrsb070712
Dear mrsb070712

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Warm regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights. The hotel itself was nicely designed. The rooms were relatively large and extremely comfortable.

The only thing that holds me back from giving the hotel a 5 rating is the building works that were happening over the road. They started relatively early in the morning and continued over the weekend. While this hopefully won't be an issue forever, it did take away from what was an otherwise very pleasant stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LostInLaMancha
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear LostInLaMancha,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to read you had a pleasant stay with us and liked the design of the hotel.

I am sorry to read your stay was disrupted by the construction work currently taking place close to the hotel. Following your complaint we spoke with the site manager to remind him of their commitments and to ensure disturbances to our guests are being kept to a minimum. Weekend working is extremely rare and limited to Saturdays only.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My sister and I booked a twin room using the Splendia website. We received an email from the hotel confirming we had booked our room. When we arrived we were told we had been allocated a double room and there were no twin rooms available for us. The hotel checked our reservation which just confirmed that we had booked "a room." They were very accommodating and gave us a room with a huge double bed so we did have plenty of space. I would like to say this was a one off error either by Splendia or by the hotel, but when we were checking in there was a woman with her teenage son who was experiencing exactly the same problem.. and I'm not sure how they got on sharing a bed!
Honestly the hotel and the staff were all lovely, but as I say double check your reservation before you go.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NipIreland
Seagrove
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Overall loved the hotel very much. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Always greeted or bid you farwell and happy to help with anything you needed. Room is very contemporary, but very nice. TV sound is played in the bathroom, heated towel rack, power shade to black out window, press a button and lights turn off and floor lighting comes on.

Opportunity for improvement: Wish there were a bit more lighting in the room, could be a bit dim at night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear GrahamsAndMore,

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read you loved the hotel and enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

denver
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband stayed here on a recent trip to London over the holidays. The rooms were very comfortable - nice beds and lovely bath amenities. The decor is super stylish and modern - which we love. Great location being so close to the Liverpool station so that you can get on the tube to go anywhere in the city. The staff gave us an amazing restaurant recommendation in Shoreditch - Dishoom. It was our favorite meal of our trip! I think this must be the best hotel for the price that we have ever stayed at. We will definitely return to stay here on our next trip to London!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear klindenbaum,

Thank you for your kind review.

I am pleased to read you had such an enjoyable stay with us and you loved the interior design.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to London.