“Shocking customer service!!”

Ranked #452 of 871 Speciality Lodging in London
Ryde, United Kingdom
“Shocking customer service!!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have stayed at many hostels all over the world but this particularly one was not nice in many ways! I have never written a review, but felt the need to share my experience, as a group of 5 we booked into the hostel a couple of weeks ago for 2 nights, staying top floor during the peak of the hottest days of the year, we dropped off our luggage and headed out straight away due to lack of air circulating through our room, we found a friendly cabana just over the road where the staff and the locals were all more than inviting, our first night in the hostel was just about bearable through the heat, we came back from the day’s events, showered and was looking to watch some of the world cup, the lounge area was absolutely packed so we decided to sit in the kitchen area where there was only a couple of small groups, we sat for an hour at the most watching the world cup and having a laugh between ourselves, before heading over to the cabana to watch the England game, as we walked out past reception the male member of staff looked really irate and flustered and shouted we should keep the noise down when we come in as there are other guests, the reception area was packed so as we were being shouted at in front of all the other guests I tried to diffuse his anger by saying there was no problem and that we would keep the noise down even though we were hardly making any noise, just enjoying the world cup, he retaliated to me and continued to say there was a problem, I told him again there would be no problem and we walked out.

Firstly we were staying at this hostel whilst in a football competition at the Olympic stadium, and getting into the spirit for the world cup as the majority of the nation would have been, secondly it was Saturday night before 10pm and thirdly he was rude without any prior warnings whatsoever for us to be quiet if he thought we were unreasonably loud.

The place is clearly understaffed for too many visitors, the majority of those visitors were very young, so it should either be promoted as a young person’s or school hostel or take into consideration there will be people booking in to have fun and a laugh! Every corridor you walked down and room you entered the people looked like zombies, either because they were too young and scared to be in a place with such a mass variety of people, or they had already been told off for being too noisy.

A suggestion would be to train your staff to get some basic manners training / customer service skills and remember everyone who walks through that door is a paying customer

the list could go on but just a word of warning for anyone hoping to have a fun time in this hostel, it was anything but fun!

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank naomi c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed in RestUp for a few nights over a weekend because I had to find somewhere on short notice and most other places were booked out. I found my stay highly unenjoyable.

The hostel is massive and houses a huge number of guests, however the common areas are comparatively small and were absolutely jam packed with people whenever I wanted to use them. The hostel doesn't offer free breakfast, which is understandable considering its rates are pretty low, but the breakfast available for purchase is overpriced and sub-standard.

Similar to some of the other hostels I have visited in London, the showers have an annoying button instead of taps so you have to press the button every ten seconds or so to run the shower and you have no control over the water temperature (which was slightly too hot for me).

The bunks in the room I slept in were very squeaky and loud, and people were coming in and out of the room all night which made it very difficult to sleep. Several of the guests decided to become a bit too intimate in their bunk bed, which I can't blame on the hostel but it made the stay all the more unpleasant. Overall, I would recommend spending a few extra dollars and staying in a nicer joint in a bit more central area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Nicole P
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We hv 4 girls staying in a room... The room is clean but small where it basically just a way to walk in n out. A bit noisy at night.. The shower water is Super duper HOT!!!! Just b careful.. Location wise is quite convenient as it near the elephant & castle underground station. Staff are friendly too...

• Stayed June 2014
Pamplona, Spain
Reviewed 9 June 2014

It was ok for one night and only for sleeping. Otherwise the place was quite dirty for me, and not very comfortable. The shower was warm and that was good thing. THe are where the hostel is is TERRIBLE.
Check-in was after 3pm, which was awful to wait. I was tired and I wanted to go to the shower and then they told me that the check-in is like after 3 o clock.... -.-

Room Tip: Room was okay if you are going to only sleep at the hostel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

3 Thank Johanna M
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Restup London was a very nice hostel. It's a very large hostel with what I believe was five stories. Outside looks very old and beautiful. Inside, there are contemporary touches. They have brightly colored sky light/windows in the checkin area. The lounge has a television and plenty of seats, which are often occupied. There's also a coffee bar with decent prices. One draw back for me is that the kitchen closes at 20:00. (I eat late). The dining area is a nod to Charlie Chaplin with huge images of him and was completed with bowler hat pendant shades. I use a wheelchair so accessibility is a huge concern. Upon my arrival, I discovered the lift was broken. The staff made sure that I found a mixed dorm on the first floor that was open enough for my chair. At the end of the day, it's a hostel. Rowdy tourist that make sleep difficult at times. Inexpensive rates ensure that it is very busy. They do have a proper accessible bathroom that has fully accessible toilet and shower. There was no additional charge for sheets, which was a nice change from other hostels who charge for everything. The breakfast was an additional charge. 2.99£ for cereal toast, coffee and juice. I think you could have a hard boiled egg as well. For 4.99£, you get an English Breakfast which include two sunny side up eggs, baked beans, sausage and bacon. Charges to be aware of are 5£ for a towel (2£ charge and 3£ deposit that is returned when the towel is returned) and a 10£ Room key deposit that must be in cash. Lockers are 2£ to 3£, depending on the size. My only complaint was that the wifi was hit or miss. It didn't work for me outside of the main lobby. Not by the vending machines, near the lockers or in my room. Overall I was very satisfied with my stay. It was the best hostel I've stayed in to date. I would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were a group of 5 girls who were looking for a cheap place to stay for 2 nights during our time in London. The hostel itself has a very youth-friendly lobby (with WiFi!), but the rooms are fairly average. It is considered a predominantly youth hostel but we had some encounters with rather creepy older gentlemen. In addition to this, the area that the hostel is situated in is very close to the tube; however,it is an uncomfortable walk for a group of 5 girls to walk (especially at night - definitely recommend taking a cab or walking in large groups!!). Despite this, we felt safe and had comfortable sleeps in our room. The sheets had gross brown stains on them, but hey, I wasn't expecting 5 star accommodations! I would go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank teffy10
Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Very friendly place, very clean, the only down part was the noisy avenue it sits on: prepare the earplugs if you wanna get some sleep and you have a room on the avenue... Bus stop is right out and takes you to major areas in London. Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo