“Had the worst night here!”
Review of RestUp London

RestUp London
Ranked #479 of 923 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Well this was my first time staying in a London hostel, because we booked last minute 5 of us stayed in a room with 15 random people. The beds were narrow and there was a severe lack of plug sockets. We were woken up several times by drunk people coming into our room. I got sexually assaulted in this dorm and the staff did nothing about it when i reported it the morning after because it was dark and i could not describe the attackers all they said was sorry this happened. They did not ask around the other occupants in the room if they saw anything etc.
The hostel itself had a nice clean modern feel but the room was terrible it has put me off staying in a hostel again. If anyone ever stays here try to get a room with all the people you know. The security in the other 20 dorm (where some of our party) got robbed .

Room Tip: Dont stay in the 20 bed dorm!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Imogen P

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I found this hostel at Elephant and Castle, a blue collar neighborhood very close to the center of town and within easy transportation to double decker buses and the underground. The choices of dormitories were great, anywhere from private to up to twenty per room. I chose a six bunk room. The rooms was very clean and the showers had plenty of hot water. The staff was very helpful and friendly, and was very helpful with providing information for sightseeing,etc. The cafeteria was very busy so I did not try it but there were many cheap ethnic restaurants to choose from. I tried a Turkish deli nearby and the food was excellent.

Room Tip: Free wifi in the first floor but not in rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Carlos A
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This hotel, while not the largest room, was CLEAN, shower was hot, wifi worked. My son & I stayed here for 5 nights. The price was right. We had more money to spend on other things in London. Not a bad walk from the Tube.

Room Tip: We had a private room, 1 set of bunk beds & private shower.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

The hostel is well located, a couple of tube stations away from Westminster. There is also the bus option on the stop right in front of the hostel. Shower is very small. There is no power socket near the beds. The staff is friendly and very helpful when it comes to buying tickets to attractions.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed with 2 friends 3 nights, and was a good deal.
Buses close and subway too (10min walk). Breakfast was nice.
Room was okay, and facilities too, It is a good place to stay, you even have a night bus for your crazy nights in London (Camden!!).

Good place, I will do it again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmyCaUS
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have stayed at many hostels all over the world but this particularly one was not nice in many ways! I have never written a review, but felt the need to share my experience, as a group of 5 we booked into the hostel a couple of weeks ago for 2 nights, staying top floor during the peak of the hottest days of the year, we dropped off our luggage and headed out straight away due to lack of air circulating through our room, we found a friendly cabana just over the road where the staff and the locals were all more than inviting, our first night in the hostel was just about bearable through the heat, we came back from the day’s events, showered and was looking to watch some of the world cup, the lounge area was absolutely packed so we decided to sit in the kitchen area where there was only a couple of small groups, we sat for an hour at the most watching the world cup and having a laugh between ourselves, before heading over to the cabana to watch the England game, as we walked out past reception the male member of staff looked really irate and flustered and shouted we should keep the noise down when we come in as there are other guests, the reception area was packed so as we were being shouted at in front of all the other guests I tried to diffuse his anger by saying there was no problem and that we would keep the noise down even though we were hardly making any noise, just enjoying the world cup, he retaliated to me and continued to say there was a problem, I told him again there would be no problem and we walked out.

Firstly we were staying at this hostel whilst in a football competition at the Olympic stadium, and getting into the spirit for the world cup as the majority of the nation would have been, secondly it was Saturday night before 10pm and thirdly he was rude without any prior warnings whatsoever for us to be quiet if he thought we were unreasonably loud.

The place is clearly understaffed for too many visitors, the majority of those visitors were very young, so it should either be promoted as a young person’s or school hostel or take into consideration there will be people booking in to have fun and a laugh! Every corridor you walked down and room you entered the people looked like zombies, either because they were too young and scared to be in a place with such a mass variety of people, or they had already been told off for being too noisy.

A suggestion would be to train your staff to get some basic manners training / customer service skills and remember everyone who walks through that door is a paying customer

the list could go on but just a word of warning for anyone hoping to have a fun time in this hostel, it was anything but fun!

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank naomi c
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed in RestUp for a few nights over a weekend because I had to find somewhere on short notice and most other places were booked out. I found my stay highly unenjoyable.

The hostel is massive and houses a huge number of guests, however the common areas are comparatively small and were absolutely jam packed with people whenever I wanted to use them. The hostel doesn't offer free breakfast, which is understandable considering its rates are pretty low, but the breakfast available for purchase is overpriced and sub-standard.

Similar to some of the other hostels I have visited in London, the showers have an annoying button instead of taps so you have to press the button every ten seconds or so to run the shower and you have no control over the water temperature (which was slightly too hot for me).

The bunks in the room I slept in were very squeaky and loud, and people were coming in and out of the room all night which made it very difficult to sleep. Several of the guests decided to become a bit too intimate in their bunk bed, which I can't blame on the hostel but it made the stay all the more unpleasant. Overall, I would recommend spending a few extra dollars and staying in a nicer joint in a bit more central area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo