“Good service but uninspiring food”
Review of Hasan Raja

Hasan Raja
Ranked #8,016 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Started with poppadums and pickle tray - very acceptable. Followed on with onion bajhee which, sadly, was very stodgy and lacking in flavour. Main course was chicken jalfrezi accompanied by excellent nan bread and very good, fresh, okra (not orca as someone else has listed earlier). I was disappointed by the jalfrezi with its rather ordinary sauce - had it not been for the green chilies, it would have been dull.
Service in the restaurant was good, but prices seemed a little high.

1  Thank Peter D
There are newer reviews for Hasan Raja

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Service was fine though we were there in off hours and there were few tables to attend to so I have nothing to go by. The food was tasty though not particularly strongly spiced, the breads were good. Tables and chairs were comfortable and well spaced. If I lived here I might go back as a matter of convenience but I would look for better food.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I've tried many dissapointing places in the area trading on the volume of traffic without a decent offering but this one stays consistently on my value for money list

A balance between portion size & cost from staff providing good service, tasty food, reasonable speed of delivery, clean, comfortable etc.

No draght beer this time (kingfisher normally) but decent (indian) bottled beer

On my short list of places to return to when looking for a simple meal while reading something and supping a beer

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We arrived in London late on a Saturday night, 23.00 hrs) and were looking at restaurant menus in the windows to decide where to eat. The waiter of this place came out and invited us in saying they were still serving.The food and service was excellent but when it came to midnight my wife and I were the only customers left there and the staff all appeared with their coats on and sat by the door. Made us feel about as welcome as flatulence in a diving suit. Shame as everything else was perfect.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I tried this restaurant while staying at the DoubleTree Hilton West End on Southampton Row as it is just three doors away. This was my second visit to Hason Raja and I wasn’t disappointed – with the food anyway. When I sat down I was asked if I wanted poppadoms and a pickle tray, which I accepted. However the first food I was given was my main course (which only took about ten minutes to arrive and I wasn’t in a rush so no problem) and my poppadoms and pickle tray never arrived. I didn’t mind as my dish was very filling (and tasty) – the Vegetable Biryani. When I received my bill – as I expected the poppadoms and pickle tray were on there, but when I pointed this out they were taken off the bill and I was given an apology.
The restaurant was only half full (Tuesday night) so there was no excuse for this, but I will put this down to a one off mistake and will still return here as the food is excellent and tasty, and service good and attentive.