“AWFUL SERVICE”

Cuisines: Italian, British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Description: Family owned and famed for its food and welcoming atmosphere. English & Italian kitchen offers home cooked meals, freshly made pizza, juicy burgers and daily specials. The Shakespeare is located in the City of London on the left side across the road from Barbican Underground Station where Altersgate meets Goswell road. From an historic reference The Shakespeare is located exactly where the north gate to the City of London used to be. Part of the ruins are still visible just outside the pub entrance. Full menu is available from Monday to Friday between 12pm - 3pm and 6.30Pm - 10pm. Saturday is Pizza Fever! Choose from Pizza menu for "Buy One get the Second Half Price" Sundays: The menu is available from 1pm and the pizza menu is available from 6pm. For Sunday Lunch please book by Friday and we will prepare a traditional English Sunday Roast which is served with all the trimmings. Delicious selection of Italian wines, beers and ales are served throughout the day.
Reviewed 15 April 2016

Asked for a vegetarian sandwich, when it arrived I could see there was ham in it - sent it back. They then made me a "new one". I checked the sandwich again and saw little pieces of ham stuck to the cheese. All the Chef had done was taken out the ham out of my 'vegetarian sandwich'. Appalled at this! So called the manager over who took this matter lightly and apologies that the chef had only been there for 1 day. The manager offered to make me a new one but at this point I didnt even want to eat there. While my two colleagues’s got to eat on their lunch break, I was left fuming! She offered to give us 20% off the bill and when she handed over the bill with attitude she even mentioned that "the staff will not be able to eat today" and as we walked out she smirked over and said "is everything alright now yeah?" - Worst service ever!!!!!!!

Date of visit: April 2016
ShakespeareBarbican, Owner at The Shakespeare Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2016

Good evening

Thank you for your lovely review.
I am really sorry you had a bad experience.

The sandwich you had ordered actually contains ham. You told us you were vegetarian so we removed it. I understand that the chef made a mistake and should have made a new one from scratch but it was a very busy Friday lunch and he obviously was struggling with all the orders also as it was his first day on the job.

We offered full refund and also ended up given all 3 of you a full refund on the food although the other 2 were perfectly fine and were finished.

The problem came when you also wanted a full refund on all the drinks too which totalled over £40
Now to me this seems like you were just out to get a free lunch. And you proved this with your behaviour of actually not being able to keep in your laughter as you left the
restaurant.

We were fair as accidents happen and we were never rude but we will not have anyone coming in and thinking they can get away with childish tantrums like yours.

Good luck

Write a reviewReviews (126)

Reviewed 15 April 2016 via mobile

This place is really close to my office and I've been there so many times, but this happened the last time.
I took a vegetarian friend of mine for his launch break.
He ordered a vegetarian sandwich, that came with ham; he then requested to be made again without it, so all the chef did was take it out of the sandwich, leaving small pieces of animal still inside.
An awful experience, especially in the short lunch break.
Please, talk to your chef about it
Kindly
Stefano.

Date of visit: April 2016

Good evening

Thank you for your lovely review.
I am really sorry you had a bad experience.

restaurant.

Good luck

Reviewed 17 March 2016

I had seen lots of good reviews so called in. The decoration seemed a little tired, but a nice selection of seating, and I found a nice comfortable chair to relax and read with my drink. With the company of the 'pub cat'.

The drink was expensive, even for central London and I could not see the reason for this, unless it was because it is on the edge of the City. But other places nearby are less expensive.

Service was polite, but nothing over whelming, with hardly a smile from my server. This was when the pub was empty so he had time for a small smile to make the cost of the pint a little easier.

Not a place I will be rushing back to when there are better places so nearby.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed 16 March 2016

This beautiful and clearly loved pub made me feel welcome from start to finish, so much so that I was sad to have to leave and will definitely return with more friends.

The food was inventive, personal and yummy! It was freshly made and lived up to expectations.

This pub holds a lot of history and passion from the owners so if you are looking for a cultural experience.. this is your place and even if you plan to stay only for a little while.. you will accidentally stay for another few glasses of wine cause it is that lovely!

Thanks guys! see you soon!

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed 20 January 2016

Nipped in for a business lunch. Staff were pleasant. They showed us to a table quickly. The order was taken soon afterwards and we didn't have to wait long for the food to turn up.
Not bad for price too.