“Business”

Ranked #177 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
“Business”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Outstanding, helpful staff, very comfortable room, dinner menu was I thought reasonably priced for a hotel of this class and being in London. Breakfast buffet was excellent for the special price of £10 offered if you booked breakfast the night before. Very nice lounge bar area. The hotel is contempory in design with a plush feel. Ideal for business trip and for couples who are visiting the area. Greenwich itself is being updated and since that Olympics is becoming the place to see.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Guest, We are delighted with your kind review and pleased you had an enjoyable visit. Glad you could benefit from our breakfast promotion. I can only agree that our location is well suited for leisure and business travellers. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at the Mercure Greenwich for 3 nights and my experience was mixed. First of all, as some reviewers have already pointed out, the surroundings of the hotel are mediocre, but you are near enough to the park and the heart of Greenwich (10 and 15 minute walk respectively) to make this ok. (another Accor property the Novotel is closer to the heart). Door to door, the hotel is about 45 minutes by DLR from the Bank tube stop, which makes the hotel ok for getting to the financial district but quite far for central/western parts of London. The hotel itself looks nice, but my room was very small - you can place a suitcase around the bed, but not much more. The bed was ok, but quality of pillows mediocre. The backside of the hotel was reasonably quiet. The frontdesk staff was ok - friendly, but in at least one case, a tad inexperienced - they sent me to the offsite gym without giving me the code to enter (which resulted me having to come back in frustration). On a related note, the hotel website should be updated to reflect the fact that there is no gym onsite. The breakfast was good enough (for the 10GBP advanced booking rate anyway). All in all, a decent hotel for the price, but check whether the location works for you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused regarding the gym and I will speak to the front desk team regarding the miscommunication. We are currently upgrading our gym facilities and the new gym equipment will arrive shortly. We hope to welcome you back soon.
London England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Can't understand the previous couple of comments. The hotel is immaculately clean, stylish and in some parts luxurious. It has been sympathetically converted from a rather grand police training college, I was told. The location is a gentle walk through quiet streets to the centre of Greenwich. The rates are reasonable and, with some on-line offers, a bargain. But the clincher is the quietly efficient friendliness of the staff. "Some reception staff unhelpful", as the last reviewer states? Can't possibly be talking about Imogen and her colleagues. They were magic!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your kind review. It means a lot that you have identified the team as efficient and friendly. I will pass on your comments to the team and Imogen (they will be delighted for the mention!). We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

The gym in the hotel has not been open for weeks. The alternative offered by the hotel (reimbursement of cost of using the gym down the road) is not viable as it is too busy. Bar and waiting staff are very friendly but some of the reception staff are less so and not always helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to inform you that we are currently upgrading our gym and the equipment and it will only take a few more weeks until we will re-open it. We understand how important this facility is and we therefore offer our guests to use another gym which is only 5 minute walking from the hotel and we will reimburse each of our customers for the day pass. I am glad you found the waiting staff very friendly; however I am very sorry about your feedback regarding the reception team and I have passed on your comments to the Front Office Manager to speak to her team. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Firstly this hotel is in Deptford not Greenwich, we payed for a privilege room that was supposed to have views of London, we had views of a building site and air con units.
The room was small, with a glass door to the bathroom, that you could watch your partner using the toilet. You might like this....... we didn't.
This was our eighth wedding anniversary, when we complained we were told all the rooms were the same. Subsequently we didn't have an a useable toilet and resorted in using the one in the lobby.
Try the De Vere Greenwich it's next to the park, and I'm sure they have doors that offer some privacy.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade, as the rooms are the same. Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne H
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy this experience. We have plans to cover the bathroom doors with non-transparent material in all of our twin bedded rooms and we hope you will consider us again in the future.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

As so often on our trips back to the UK we had to head all over the place. One evening we had to be in North West London and the following afternoon out by Ashford. So we chose Greenwich and the Mecure as a convenient overnight spot.

Our room was compact but nicely laid out. The bathroom door was a frosted glass thing that included a full history of the Greenwich.
The bed was remarkably comfortable.

There was some mechanical noise for outside the window but nothing too annoying or that would keep us awake.
We sampled a quick drink before bed and in the morning breakfast was very tasty.

We got a great deal on this hotel. Not sure if it would have been worth the rack rate but sure was for the 87 pounds we paid.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you like the hotel and were able to get a good deal. Always check the Mercure website for our best offers and the earlier you book the cheaper it will be. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 2 nights between 22-24th Feb. On the booking I had specified a quiet room and a high floor but ended up on the 1st floor out of 9. Can't complain though as this was a request and not a guarantee.

We managed to check in 1 hour before official check in time which was at 2pm. Our 1st problem was the receptionist tried to take the cost of the stay plus a £50 open tab before we received our room keys. Because we had booked the hotel and paid beforehand through superbreak I did wonder why this was the case. It ended up being a misunderstanding but it was a bit of a kick in the groin exspecially after he had been asked twice if he wanted to see our booking confirmation to which he had declined.

The second problem was paying/securing £50 against a credit/debit card on arrival is compulsory and is NOT advised at the time of booking so do bear that in mind, it will dent your available spending money.

The room we had was 122, right at the back in what felt like its own wing as our main door was separated by another, this I think definitely helped with the reduced noise request. It didn't help with the sound of sewage pipes though as it sometimes sounded like the main pipe passed close by our room.

The room was nice, finished to a high standard, not small but long and thin. The TV is hung from the ceiling and can be tilted. There is a mirrored double wardrobe an a big mirror at the bed head which aids making the room feel bigger than it is. I have to say they have used the mirrors well in this room it definitely works well.

The room could do with an extra half a metre each side of the bed though as you have to sidestep up to the top which can become a pain. The TV remote has room controls so you can turn the lights on/off from your bed and amend the heating (Problem number 3: the heating is non existent, it was warmer in the corridors, the room was constantly cold) so that eliminates any arguments as to who's turning off the lights.

The hotel had a viewing deck, although when I did try to get onto it at approx 6:30 on a Saturday the door was locked. Wether you have to request a key for it I'm not sure but I never chased it up and wasn't too disappointed.

Complimentary wifi is available, but only if your stand by the door if your in room 122 and even then you receive 1 bar signal strength out of 3. I would have had to demand a refund if I would have paid for it as that is sub-par service.

Breakfast is £15pp, but £10pp if you book in advance. I never had any breakfast so I can't comment anything other than I think they would benefit from lowering that price.

Would I stay here again, on looks alone then yes but for overall service I would have to say no. The hotel is a really nicely decorated building with lovely finished rooms, definately one of the swankier hotels I've visited bit I can't help thinking my experience could have been better. A lower cost of breakfast, actually providing the robes which they advertise, heating & wifi that worked well and removing the compulsory £50 tab would serve to make this a better hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. I am glad that overall you seemed to have enjoyed your stay but I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the hotels overall services. I can assure you that it is common practise amongst hotels to take a pre-authorisation by the time of check-in. Depending on the hotel usually an amount of £50 per night is reserved in order to cover for any additional charges such as bar, restaurant, telephone and laundry charges, etc. The pre-authorisation will be released on check-out and it is mentioned in our T&C’s. Due to health and safety reasons we are required to keep the viewing deck locked if not in use but are happy to open it for any guests that would like to enjoy the panoramic views over London. Should you stay with us again please speak to the front desk team as they will be happy to open the viewing deck for you. Thank you for highlighting the issue you experienced with the Wi-Fi connectivity and please rest assured that I have already addressed this with our internet provider. I appreciate your comments as it helps us to improve the service we provide and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.