“A comfortable stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #187 of 1,087 Hotels in London
United Kingdom
“A comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We recently stopped here for 3 nights. We had never been to Greenwich so fancied a change, it was a nice base for our stay and we had a good look around. We used the thames clipper boat to get to other parts of London together with the tube. The staff were welcoming. The room was clean and comfortable if slightly small. We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that. The only niggle we had was the shower screen it wasnt long enough so the floor was drenched after a shower and like others have mentioned whilst I did like the quirky writing on the door, I do love my husband but we didn't particularly like being able to see each other on the toilet!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest, It is great to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff welcoming. We have noted your comments regarding the shower and bathroom door and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here over Easter weekend. Two rooms for three nights. Great hotel, well appointed, very clean, lovely rooms, comfortable beds, professional staff and a reasonably good location in a quiet residential area and just minutes away from the local DLR station.

The breakfast was amazing and nothing was too much trouble for the very friendly and professional staff. And the breakfast, if booked in advance was only £10, was phenomenal value for money.

The one issue for us was the fact that we were located over the air conditioning units to the rear of the building which were mind blowingly noisy!

We would definitely stay again, but would specifically request a higher floor room or one at the front of the building.

Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the air conditioning units!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review and recommendation. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the positive feedback on our breakfast team. We look forward to welcoming you again soon hopefully and will be happy to assign you a quiet room.
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel and the room is amazing, and here is why.
The hotel is well kept, clean and has a feeling of "new". The bed was really comfortable and the technology is well up to date. We could control the AC from the television, big plus since it needed to be cooler when we wanted to sleep. Internet is free.
The Roomservice was very nice, we had thai curry, pecan pie and chicken pesto sandwich, all very good.
Here comes the buts:
Designer shower was amazing, good preassure but the showercabin allowed most water to get on the bathroomfloor.
Designerglassed sliding bathroomdoor is interesting, but might as well have it open since it didnt close, 1 inch gaps on both sides, so if you havnt been to the toilet together before, you will after this.
Not very soundproof from the hallway, we could hear everyone that walked past.
I would recommend to not take the breakfast since service was a bit insecure, got tea that wasnt really warm, not fully stocked buffé, but alot of variety.
It was hard finding an outlet to charge phone, unless we wanted to pull out a lamp. We found one.

We are coming back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. It is fantastic to read that you had a good stay with us and liked the hotel and the room with its in-room technology. I am however sorry to read that you were not impressed with all the features and we have taken such on board. We are truly delighted to read that you will be back and look forward to seeing you again.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed at the Mercure for 9 nights. We booked a standard room with a double bed and when we arrived we were suitably impressed by the quality of the reception area as well as the bar and restaurant. The staff were all very friendly and we were made to feel quite welcome. Our room was on the fifth floor with a nice view of the small park below. The room was adequate in size, well designed and furnished. There were the standard appliances that you would expect from any good hotel - television, iron, hair dryer, electric kettle as well as bottled water, coffee, tea and biscuits. The following day we noticed that the room had been cleaned, the coffee and tea had been replenished but the biscuits were not. We put this down to an oversight and said nothing about it. The next day we went out at 7:00 AM and did not get back in till 8:00 PM. We were looking forward to a nice cup of tea and biscuits but again the biscuits were missing so I went down to the desk to ask if I could get some. I was informed that they could not because only housekeeping had access to the biscuits. They apologised and assured me that they would talk to housekeeping so that this would not happen again.

Next day, after another long day, we came back to the room and, once again, found the biscuits had not been replenished. I rang reception, explained the situation but this time I made it known that I was not happy. Again the receptionist apologised and assured me that she would rectify the situation. About 5 minutes later, I received a phone call from the manager and he explained to me that because I had booked a standard room, I was not entitled to coffee and tea making facilities and that the only reason I had them was that the room had been prepared as a “Privilege” room. He then went on to tell me that regardless of that he would ensure that we would be given biscuits for the remainder of our stay.

You would think that would be the end of the story but it’s not. The next day (and every day till I left), even after the manager himself promised that everything would be set right, the biscuits were still not supplied.

Small thing - but it’s the small things that make the difference.

As an aside, I was amazed to think that a standard room in a supposedly 4 star hotel would not include coffee and tea making facilities so I went back to the Mercure web site (http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-8634-mercure-london-greenwich/room.shtml) to check room descriptions.

This is what I found.

Standard Room with double bed
Designed with style & comfort. Flat screen TV with latest technology including AC temperature control & Multi Media, WiFi, Work Desk, DD Phone & Voicemail, T/C facilities, Laptop Safe, Iron & Board, Toiletries & Hairdryer

Privilege Room with 1 Queen bed
Designed with Style & comfort. Flat screen TV with latest technology incl AC temperature control & Multi Media, WiFi, Work Desk, DD Phone & Voicemail, T/C facilities, Laptop Safe, Iron & Board, Toiletries & Hairdryer

So it seems that I was given the wrong information either deliberately or inadvertently. Either way, it does not reflect well on the management.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim P
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share such comprehensive feedback about your stay. I am really glad to read that you found our staff to be friendly and welcoming and that your overall stay was enjoyable. I am so sorry to read that we failed to replenish the biscuits after you had requested for it and I will have a word with the housekeeping team. I am also sorry for the confusion caused with regards to amenities and l would like to inform you that we only provide biscuits in our privilege rooms. We are however happy to arrange for biscuits upon request. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed for three nights in a standard room.

The good
The staff are very helpful and friendly
The room was very good with excellent shower and comfortable bed
The quality of the furnishing was high
Breakfast is very good which lots of choice from healthy to meals that will keep you going all day

The bad
The only let down was the evening meal. I chose steak pie and mash and regretted it. It cost 50% more than at a pub or restaurant close by but the quality and sloppiness of the cooking was beyond belief. The pie was a packet pie or average quality and the mashed potato was instant potato. I complained to the waiter who said he would tell the chef but the waiter did not offer any redress. This complaint is justified because many visitors will be visiting London for the first time and do not deserve this poor standard.

What would have been five stars for this hotel is downgraded to three stars because of the very poor performance of the evening meal. If this hotel can improve the evening meals it will deserve five stars. All the chef needs to do if visit a few local pubs and restaurants to see how to prepare these dishes and then improve on this in order the justify the higher price charged.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Great to hear you liked the hotel and thank you for recognising our team. I am disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with your meal and I will speak to chef regarding his pie. I can confirm that we do not use instant mashed potatoes but 100% frozen potatoes and the feedback we got so far from our guests was only positive. I am sorry to learn that after raising the issue with the waiter no satisfactory acknowledgement or resolution was achieved. I have relayed your feedback to the Food & Beverage manager who will ensure that the appropriate corrective actions will be taken. We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again and that you get a chance to try out some of the other delicious dishes on offer.
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed here for 4 days to be further away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Never been to London before, we found it surprisingly very accesible and a short 20 minute ride to the city (via Greenwich underground tube station) yet far away enough to experience a peaceful and quiet suburb. The double room was very spacious (much to my surprise as the hotel website photo made it look smaller), clean and comfortable. Hotel decor elegant and staff were very polite and helpful. I would recommend this hotel again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Angela W
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your high recommendation. It really means a lot that you have identified the team as polite and helpful. We are also glad that you like the hotel and were able to benefit from the hotels convenient location for central London. We hope to welcome you back really soon.
Portsmouth, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at this Mercure last week in order to be reasonably close to the O2 arena.
We'd searched for a deal for a while and my wife struck lucky on lastminute.com
I've stayed in a few Mercures over the years and know the brand. This hotel either through it's 'newness' or the building does exude a very good ambience and delivers quality above the brand!

The room we had was quite large for the London proximity as well as being thoroughly well appointed. It literally had everything we needed.
The room was clean and tidy with a large bathroom, complete with massive shower.
The only slight drawback to our room was the slight noise coming from the AC units at the back of the hotel so maybe it's better to ask for a room at the front overlooking the square.

The staff were excellent, very helpful and efficient.
The location is also very good for exploring London too as it's within a short walk of Deptford DLR station.

When going to the O2 in future we will be searching for a deal in this place.

Room Tip: Choose rooms at the front overlooking the square. Higher floor is better.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for you kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms to be a good size for London. We recognise that when the hotel is fully booked the air conditioning units are more likely to make a humming noise. We are currently looking into this and hope to have a remedy for it soon. Always check the Mercure website for the best deals and the earlier you book the cheaper it will be. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.