“Lovely hotel but staff under pressure”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich
Ranked #164 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Came for weekend with friend for her birthday treat. Booked parking which was great. On checking in it was 3.15 Saturday afternoon there was about 10 people queuing in reception. Rooms were not ready. We were told to come back in 20 minutes but I said we needed to get changed for theatre and meal. We were given another room which was excellent. No complaints at all about cleanliness food or hotel but check in desk too small and it was very hectic. At breakfast again, no cups no knives and tables not cleared yet staff standing around. I would say a bit of customer service training would be good for the staff but I would certainly stay again as I loved the view and the rooms.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit and that you liked our rooms. Saturdays are generally very busy and we recognize that the reception desk is too small to effectively assist our guests during such times. We have therefore arranged for a second reception desk which will arrive within the next few weeks. I have passed your comments regarding your breakfast experience to our Food & Beverage manager for review and we very much look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

When we booked this hotel we decided to upgrade our room as we were staying in London for our anniversary.
We were so glad we did, we ended up staying at the very top of the hotel that obviously is a new addition to the building with its completely glass front and back.
That's not to say that the entire stay was perfect but all of the following made up for any issues
- The huge shower
- The complimentary soft drinks in the fridge which is refilled each day
- complimentary paper in your room
- remote controlled lighting with your tv remote
- fantastic views of London and Greenwich from the room.
- really comfy bed
- friendly staff on reception and at the bar.
- The nespresso machine that compliments the usual tea and coffee making facilities.

The only two issues we had was first of all the air con wasn't working in our room which meant on the hottest day of the year when we checked in to our nearly entirely glass fronted room we were met with a wall of hot air.
The only reason we were able to cope with the stay was because the room had an electronically controlled window that opened fully which kept us cool.

The second issue that we had was with the reception. The staff were very friendly and helpful but the front desk is so small. When we checked in there was a group checking in of about 5 people and they practically surrounded the desk which meant the other staff members couldn't check us in even though they clearly wanted to help us.

Overall this is a great hotel to stay in and offers you a great location for you to visit any part of London you want to.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted you liked the hotel and privilege room with all its in-room features and amenities. I am really sorry to hear that you had difficulties with the air-conditioning in your room and I would like to advise you that it may take a few minutes for the air-conditioning to kick in but once the window in the room is open the air-conditioning will automatically shut off. I agree that the reception desk is rather small and we have therefore made arrangements for a second desk to arrive within the next 8 weeks. I can assure you that this will help in reducing queues during peak times. Thank you again for your kind comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

As a seasoned corporate traveller in the UK, I rate this hotel very highly. It is of an excellent standard. I was fortunate to be upgraded to a Priviledge room on the top floor.
They have good secure parking - unfortunately no ramp nor automatic doors from car park andso a bit of a struggle with baggage at the rear entrance. However, a very good check in - staff extremely polite and very knowledgeable - very quick.
Rooms are superb, well appointed and quality of soft furnishings excellent. As for London, and inparticular this once Police Section House, the designers have had to fit things in in a clever manner. So the en-suite not the largest but fittings and standard excellent.
Public areas well appointed, lovely bar and very good restaurant. The standard of customer service by the maitre d' and the waiting staff very good.
Breakfast was fine - perhaps bacon and sausgae a little underdone - but otherwise of a god standard.
Checkout good and swift.
On the whole a very good experience and would recommend. It is a bit of a walk into Greenwich itself, but clearly one of teh best hotels in the vicinity

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest, My team and I are delighted with your praise. We aspire to offer all guests a high quality and relaxing stay and we are really glad you had an enjoyable visit. I have noted your comments regarding the bacon and sausages and will share your feedback with chef. Thank you for sharing your experience and we very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is just 1 stop away from Greenwich central for all the sites and museums.
The staff were very friendly and attentive and nothing was too much trouble.
Our room was spotless and had great facilities including top quality airconditioning.
The fiztures and fittings in the hotel are quality and makes for a comfortable environment.
Breakfast was delicious and hot with plenty of tea and coffee being served.
We would certainly recommend this hotel for staying in Greenwich.
Thanks Mercure for a great trouble free stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the top floor glass atrium for great views over the city.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your high recommendation. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and it really means a lot that you have identified the team as friendly and attentive. Glad you liked the breakfast and that you could also benefit from the hotels convenient location for Greenwich and central London. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel offered easy access from and to the City center. It is very nice and, and has its own atmosphere and design.
My room was nice but:
- It was viewing a park lot (it was not an issue for me since I arrived late night and left the following morning, but might be frustrating if you are here for a longer stay)
- I was freezing in the room, and I did not find the solution to it warmer…

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted you liked the hotel and that you had an enjoyable visit. I am sorry to read that you were not able to increase the temperature in your room and that the front desk staff were not aware of it as they are always happy to assist. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I enjoyed staying two nights at the Mercure London Greenwich in March, the staff were very friendly and helpful and my evening meal was lovely. The room was immaculate and really comfortable. My only issue was breakfast, it was cold, but when I reported it to a staff member I was immediately refunded and they were full of apologies. Was a good hotel and I'd stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am really glad to read that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your meal. I will speak with chef about the breakfast and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Mercure London Greenwich looks brilliant, contemporary style, convenient rooms and nice public areas. Somehow you can smell, that the everything is brand new. But this is the end of the fairy tale, I have experienced the worst service from hotel staff ever. Zero recognition, and you feel yourself less welcomed, when the receptionist is asking security deposit from you, because "there was a case, when the TV was broken in the room." Dear Mercure Greenwich, I have never broken a TV, and I have never felt so humiliated in a hotel in my life, except in yours. You forgot to ask me at the check-out how was my stay, but my answer is here: terrible.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cobachka

Dear guest, Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay in our hotel and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies if the check-in process was not as clear as it should have been. The requested pre-authorization or swipe of your card on check-in is a normal procedure to guarantee open credit to your account in case of any incidentals. I can assure you that the front desk team did not mean to offend you and I am very sorry if it has come across like this. I hope this situation has not marred your trust in our hotel and that you will give us the chance to welcome you back soon.