“A good base A good hotel to see London, Greenwich a delightful area.”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich
Ranked #172 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 June 2014

A short train ride from London Bridge or Cannon Street to Greenwich, main line so in fact very easy to get into central London. and 5 min walk to hotel. Staff always friendly helpful and rooms might be small, but light and airy and well equipped. Remember to pay for your breakfast if you want one at reception when you book in cheaper. Breakfast worth having, many dishes freshly cooked. Evening meal fine, but I cannot agree with the previous reviewer, there are places to eat near the hotel/ The North Pole produces a very good meal, not cheap, but with most things in life you get what you pay for. Last year we went to Davey;s wine bar as well and that is very acceptable. I you do not want to do the 10min walk into Greenwich, then just hop on a bus, for eating places, but I have not tried them

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walkingWakefieldUk
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and we very much hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,882)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I booked this on Hotwire and got an amazing rate of only 89GBP/night. After receiving our key card, we tried opening the door but it didn't work. We went back to the front desk and got a new card, but then the A/C didn't work. The room was very hot and I informed the staff that if I couldn't get a room with A/C then I would cancel my room and seek a different hotel. They told me the hotel was fully booked, but then 5 minutes later, they moved us to the room next door where everything worked.
Here's the kicker...in the room next door had a bunch of amenities that were missing from the first room. Bath robes, slippers, dental and sewing kits, drinks in the fridge, etc. None of these items were in the defective room and my guess is that the awesome Hotwire rate reflects this. It really seemed like a bait and switch situation and it was upsetting to say the least.
Outside of that, the hotel was very elegant and the staff was extremely helpful. The courtyard was very nice and the breakfast is well worth pre-paying 10GBP for. It had a wide selection of meats, eggs, fruits, breads, juices and so forth.
The rooms are very small and the bed nearly touches both walls. You literally have to hop across the bed to reach the other side. Also, there is half of a shower door and water gets on the floor when washing.
The location is a bit of a haul, especially if you want to see all the standard London attractions. The area directly around the hotel doesn't offer much in the way of restaurants or pubs. Most of the dining and shopping in Greenwich is located at Cutty Sark. And don't let the map fool you, it's quite a walk to Cutty Sark. Better to take the DLR and pay 1.5GBP.
I would not recommend this hotel for folks who want to see London. Try Canary Wharf instead.

Room Tip: Don't book on Hotwire.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holysnappers
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I can only assume that you booked a standard room and were upgraded to a privilege room free of charge as our privilege rooms do come with extra amenities and toiletries. I am really sorry however for the inconvenience caused with regards to the air-conditioning which was not functioning. I am disappointed to read that you were not keen on the hotels location even though it takes only 20 minutes by DLR to reach London (Bank station) but really glad you were able to get a good deal with us. Please visit our website to avail of our fantastic offers should you decide to stay with us again. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Mercure in Greenwich was a truly great experience. The hotel was very clean, extremely friendly staff and well situated for our needs. The staff were very efficient and professional at all times. Would not hesitate to book another stay at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: A great place to stay
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
1  Thank Jean H
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. We are truly delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and were happy with the hotels location. Really glad also that you found the team efficient and friendly at all times. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we are looking forward to have you here with us again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and was very impressed at the design and overall layout of the hotel. The hotel looks very chic and modern. £15 in a tax I to the O2 and a short walk to the train station. The bar area was lovely and restaurant looked lovely.. all the artwork, mirrors and lights where fabulous.

2 problems for us where: -

We asked for parking when we booked this hotel, but no room our car once when we arrived so had to park on the street and pay the meter charge, even though we could see spaces in there car park from our room. we where in a rush to go to the O2 so no time to argue. The next day my husband told them we would be leaving as not topping the meter up every 4 hours. eventually (thinking they would lose a nights room fee) they managed to squeeze our car into the car park.

Not only that our loo was very temperamental (we where in room 904) and only flushed now and again so me and my husband had to use the hotel reception loos (nine floors and 2 slow lifts down) we asked for someone to look at it and the handy man said it was an ongoing issue for £194 a night I expected a working toilet.

No apology for either of our issues so wont be returning which is a shame as lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 904
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jules8377
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am sorry that not everything was perfect. We cannot give car parking spaces away if all spaces are reserved but we do find that sometimes not all guests who have reserved car parking take advantage of it. This then allows us to assign the space to another guest. I can confirm that we have now reviewed our inspection process to ensure issues such as you have experienced with regards to the toilet flush do not re-occur in future. We are sorry that we let you down on this occasion but invite you to give us another try and hope to see you see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I recently stayed here for 5 nights and i was very happy with the hotel. The room was perfect for our needs. We were on the ground floor which was great. The bedroom and bathroom was decorated really nice. As for the staff i have to give 5 stars for them alone as they were very attentive and polite. Couldnt ask for better staff! I would definately stay here again as it is close to the trains/bus centre and is a nice walk down into Greenwich. I loved my stay at the Mercure Greenwich!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gemma R

Dear Guest, We are truly delighted with your kind review and pleased that you had an enjoyable visit. Thank you for praising our team members and rest assured that your comments will be shared with them. We very much hope to have you here with us again soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I booked a double room at this hotel on Lastminute Top Secret Hotels on the 3rd of March - I had stayed there before and although it is nice it is not usually my first choice. I arrived at 9pm on the 29th of May and was met by a very helpful receptionist who then issued me with my room key. This key opened a door to the smallest hotel room I have every seen. I complained stating that I had not booked either a single room or a small double but a double and there was no way I was staying in that room. I was reluctantly given a twin room and told that the hotel was fully booked and that was the only room they had for me. I then looked up this hotel on several web sites to see that there were loads of rooms still available. I am extremely annoyed that this receptionist seemed to have taken one look at me- tired (having journeyed from Scotland after working a full day), apparently single and stuck me in what must have been one of the worst rooms in the hotel. My husband often accompanies me and my daughter who stays in Greenwich sometimes decides to stay, therefore I always book a double or twin room. I would urge guests to be wary and not take the first room they are given. How could my hotel room - a standard double which I had booked on the 3rd of March be of such poor quality (in terms of size) on the 29th of May when it was clearly not full? I get the impression that the receptionist thought I would be grateful to stay there in any room, This hotel is listed at 4 star but is blingy and the location to Greenwich town centre is poor - the service should have been better.

Room Tip: don't take the first one offered particularly if you are travelling alone- if you have paid for...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank RossScotland

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. Our rooms do vary in size and some of our rooms are indeed compact, I can confirm however that the hotel was fully committed on 29th May. I hope that the issues raised will not dissuade you from visiting us again in the future and if you are requiring accommodation again in the area please feel free to contact me so I can personally ensure your satisfaction.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and was very impressed at the design and overall layout of the hotel. The hotel looks very chic and modern. The location is also very convenient as it's a short 10 minute walk to the train station and a short ride to central London. The hotel room was a little tight but the bed gave us one of the most comfortable sleep we've ever had. Didn't try the food as we found the menu a bit expensive for our budget. The only negative thing I found was considering we arrived at the hotel at 1:40 after a very long and tiring flight, and although we were promised check-in would be ready by 2pm, it still took them another 30 mins to get our room ready. You would think knowing your guests have already arrived, the hotel would make sure the room was ready STAT so as to not keep them waiting. And yet we had 3 other guests pass us by who came in after we did and they had their room ready right away or had to wait a lot less than we did. The receptionist was very apologetic though and at least acknowledged our frustration.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a good night’s sleep. I am disappointed to read your room was not ready by 2pm and can understand how frustrating this must have been and please rest assured that I have addressed this already with our housekeeping manager. We very much hope to welcome you back soon.